Simon & Garfunkel "Collected Works" on Sale!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Chip, PM me your e-mail address and then I can pay you for the S&G set

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have paid Chip only $9.92 for this set which suits my desires for digital S&G just fine.

3. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

If you're a Bookends fan, I'd recommend the MoFi version - to my ears it sounds appreciably better than the remasters. MoFi really got this one right.:thumbsup:

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A great price to get the entire set of Simon and Garfunkel albums in a compact set.

HOWEVER, this is one case where I definitely think the remasters are unquestionably superior. From what I've read, the original masters for the albums were in HORRIBLE shape (for unfathomable reasons, the original masters were used directly and repeatedly for creating submasters, ultimately wearing them out). Anyway, they did a pretty job of creating new masters from the multi-tracks. The intent was to be as true to the original masters (when they were new) as possible. I think they got pretty close.

That said, I know the S&G Collected works set went through several "hidden" remasterings. I have the first release, which is attrocious. I also have a release from a few years later, and that's better. Not great, but better.

It's possible that Sony has subsequently done a hidden upgrade of the set with the current (good) masters. Hard to say. Hard to say, as well, if BMG is selling off dusty inventory (in which case no, no way were new masters used) or if these are new copies they're getting from Columbia/Sony.

Kwad

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

BMG Music Club only started acquiring Sony product a few years ago so none of their Sony inventory has been sitting around for too long.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

At least 4-5 years ago, maybe longer. Almost definitely before the good remasters were created.

The set is also out of print at retail. That doesn't mean Sony is not still pressing it for BMG, but it suggests the more likely scenario is NOS (new old stock).

Kwad

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Is there a way to tell by looking at the set if it was a remastered set? Is there a -2 or something like that in the inter ring (dead wax)?

lrpm likes this.
  8. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

When this thread started on 12/31, BMG was selling S&G's 3-CD "Collected Works" for $2.39 plus S&H and sales tax (total price under $10) ... when I ordered another copy Saturday (1/24), the price had gone up to $6.49 plus S&H and sales tax (total price under $13.80) ... today the price is $17.99 plus S&H and sales tax (total price under $26.24) ... I wonder how many SH forum members' orders contributed to the price increase? :) ...

9. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I notice that too Chip, when I ordered something today.

10. RDK

RDK Active Member

We are, unfortunately, a drop in the bucket as far as BMG is concerned...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.