Simon & Garfunkel & Williams!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John DeAngelis, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member Thread Starter

Last night on my local PBS station there was a new "Andy Williams Duets" program with color footage of performances from Andy's 1960s tv show. There were some nice pairings--Andy and Bing Crosby, Andy and Tony Bennett, etc. The most interesting for me was actually a trio: Andy singing "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" with Simon and Garfunkel, with the three seated and facing each other in a semicircle. Andy certainly had the chops--he sang for years in a vocal group with his brothers (they do a performance together also), and does a very nice job of fitting in. They all seem to be enjoying it, and you can see Paul Simon suppressing a smile about halfway thru. The one bad thing I have to say about the program is that the performances were originally recorded with a bit too much echo on the vocals. Ironically, one of the brief interviews that are interspersed among the performances brags about how everything was recorded live on the show--and then they follow that quote with a duet between Andy and Lena Horne where the vocals have been obviously double-tracked (either electronically or via overdubbing) to beef up the vocal sound. Despite this, I definitely recommend searching around for a rebroadcast if only for the rare S & G & W performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.