Simple Minds - Direction of the Heart (2022)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by negative1, Jun 14, 2022.

1. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan Thread Starter

New album from them :
    Simple Minds / Direction of the Heart – SuperDeluxeEdition

[​IMG]

Simple Minds will release Direction of the Heart, their 19th studio album, in October.

It’s the band’s first album of new material since 2018’s Walk Between Worlds and the first single is ‘Vision Thing’ – a tribute to Jim Kerr’s “best pal”, his father who passed away in 2019 – which you can preview below.

multiple formats coming out.

looking forward to it.

later

2. negative1

the deluxe cd has 2 extra tracks:
    Pre-Order Direction Of The Heart Now - Simple Minds - Direction Of The Heart Deluxe

Deluxe CD Album in casebound book.
    [​IMG]

Simple Minds return with eighteenth studio album Direction of the Heart, set for release on 21st October 2022 and including lead single ‘Vision Thing’.

Direction of the Heart is Simple Minds’ first album of new material since 2018’s outstanding UK Top 5 album Walk Between Worlds. Throughout its nine tracks, Direction of the Heart finds the band at their most confident, anthemic best on an inspired celebration of life, and which manages to perfectly encapsulate the essence of past and present Simple Minds, a band whose reascent over the past 10 years has seen them, once again, capture the magic and critical praise of their early days.

1. Vision Thing
    2. First You Jump
    3. Human Traffic
    4. Who Killed Truth?
    5. Solstice Kiss
    6. Act of Love
    7. Natural
    8. Planet Zero
    9. The Walls Came Down

10. Direction of the Heart (Taormina 2022)
    11. Wondertimes

later

enro99, tug_of_war, Sean and 2 others like this.
  3. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Yep, looking forward to it too. Love the artwork…I hope it’s as good as Big Music. Their last album was really average , apart from the excellent pair of A Sense Of Discovery and The Signal and The Noise.

The new single is great although Jim’s vocals are extra hammy.

negative1 and DTK like this.
  4. Twist-Of-Shadows

Twist-Of-Shadows Forum Resident

Single is entitled "Vision Thing".....?

Hopefully, it will be nothing like the other "Vision Thing" we are familiar with......from 1990. :D

5. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Russell Mael from Sparks features on the track Human Traffic. Odd that the title track is a bonus on the deluxe edition only.

6. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Love the intro, verse melody and guitar lines of Vision Thing (no '25 wh*res in the room next door' in this one!) but just when I was anticipating a lovely soaring chorus.... it 'went down'. Not sure about that.

negative1 likes this.
  7. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Sounds like modern-era Simple Minds. This song does not get me interested in this album.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I will buy it of course, but fear that this is another laptop/digital workbench album programmed by Charlie. I miss the times when they recorded in real studios and had live drums etc. But yeah they'd never recouop the recording costs.

I think Walk Between Worlds had three great songs; the title track, Signal and The Noise and Sense of Discovery, the lowest ratio since pre 2005. I hope for more than three goodies on this one.

The Walls Came Down - unnecessary cover.

9. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

10. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Looking forward to this, I disagree with post #7, I thought Walk Between Worlds was excellent, only a couple of poorer tracks, still listen to it quite a bit.

Can we talk about this deluxe nonsense though?

I certainly don’t want too much bloat with my albums, and I think 9 tracks is ok on an album but to add just a couple more (think this was the same last time?) and call it deluxe is not right with me. Standard CD for me, though the book sleeve looks quite nice.

I keep forgetting I’m going to see them in a couple of months, two years later than the original date. :)

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think they think in terms of brevity, the album as such is 8 or 9 tracks they really believe in, and the two or three bonus tracks are near runs. But yeah. Big Music had 6 bonus tracks though.

Neonbeam and negative1 like this.
  12. negative1

in case you haven't heard it.
    the original 'direction of the heart' was the b-side of the
    7 inch (orange) for 'magic'. which was great

Simple Minds - Magic
    [​IMG]

Simple Minds – Magic
    Label: BMG – 538349751, BMG – 4050538349757
    Format:
    Vinyl, 7", Single, Orange
    Released: Feb 2, 2018
    Genre: Rock, Pop
    Style: Pop Rock

Tracklist

A Magic 4:28
    B Direction Of The Heart 4:21
    Total Time: 8:49

the new version should be interesting.

later

Neonbeam, c-eling, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  13. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

Sure, count me in. There's a certain ridiculousness that the band seems happy to embrace, and which I can't help but find somewhat appealing, even while I "know" how uncool a band they are. (Even U2 seem to shy from certain things that SM just goes for.)

Vision Thing seems decent at first listen. One could hope for another Big Music, but I still think Walk Between Worlds has its charms.

murphmanz, negative1 and DTK like this.
  14. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Wouldn't "Act of Love" have been the first single?

negative1 and DTK like this.
  15. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

The single is fine enough, bounces along just the thing.

I'm glad to see bassist Ged Grimes has a couple of writing credits on the new record, he's a huge part of this band now.

A few of the titles I've heard of before, Planet Zero has been talked about for years, glad to see it's finally made the cut. I hope the title track has been reworked from the Magic 7" single, that was a terrible song the first time round.

Pre-order is in!

DTK likes this.
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Dave, wasn’t that only played live though?

negative1 and Dave 81828384 like this.
  17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

What's this other you're referring to?

ARK likes this.
  18. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

They released it as a single a few months ago.

negative1 and JeffMo like this.
  19. Twist-Of-Shadows

Twist-Of-Shadows Forum Resident

ARK likes this.
  20. Dave 81828384

I don't believe that was live Jeff. The way they talked about the single was odd though:
    "On Monday January 17th 2022, Simple Minds release ‘Act Of Love’, a new recording and one-off single to mark the anniversary of the band’s very first performance – at Glasgow’s Satellite City on January 17, 1978. The track is an act of time travel, sweeping across four decades in four exhilarating minutes."

negative1, JeffMo and DTK like this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I was surprised it's part of the new album. It's good though, an improvement on the 1978 original.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  22. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

DTK and negative1 like this.
  23. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I don't want to be a downer, I have all the SM albums and box sets and I have followed them for decades. But this new song is a major "meh" for me, just like the entire previous album was. Maybe I should stop reading Jim Kerr's social media posts, but he seems to be having a midlife crisis even though he's way past midlife. He makes Bono seem meek and humble with some of the grandiose statements he makes. It's certainly possible to make a killer album late in your career (see Tears for Fears), but I feel Simple Minds and Pet Shop Boys (and to a lesser extent U2) have kind of lost the plot in recent years. Even so I will wish for the best and hope that the new album might contain some surprises...

24. Dave 81828384

Morgan, I feel the same way about the new song and I don't read his posts. :laugh:

wabrit and morgan1098 like this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That’s right - not really a new single then!

I’d forgotten about that one.

negative1 and Dave 81828384 like this.