Simple Minds - Direction of the Heart (2022)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by negative1, Jun 14, 2022.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I read Jim's posts but can't really see what you're seeing in them. Recently it's just been "we're a great live band", which is not midlife crisis stuff.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    murphmanz and negative1 like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Lame... :laugh:
    Karl's in 1993
    [​IMG]

Neonbeam and negative1 like this.
  3. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

4. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan Thread Starter

ummm.. promised you a miracle by a mile back in 82 started the idea:

[​IMG]

ha ha

later

DTK and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Well they should of laid it to single art then :laugh:
    I've seen this layout/design used by someone else also, can't remember.

negative1 likes this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I'm not especially familiar with their later stuff but anybody who thinks this band is "uncool" should be equipped with a drink, seated in front of a stereo and then treated to "Real To Real Cacophony" or "Empires & Dance". These two albums alone grant eternal absolution from... well.... everything else.

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Agreed. Then they should be slapped in the face with a fish, as per Mick MacNeil in the Love Song video.
    I'd include Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call in the "cool" category.

Ken.e., Vox78, mrbiggs and 4 others like this.
  8. Neonbeam

Absolutely, "New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)" as well. The latter proves that SM were even clairvoyant. :whistle:

Ken.e., negative1 and DTK like this.
  9. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

I'm....honestly not sure. I'm sure I've listened to Real to Real Cacophony at least once, and I did pick up Empires & Dance fairly recently as I explored some of the pre-hits era. There's a real, sort of, TUNELESSNESS that bothers me about those early albums. The spiky attitude is cool, but I get the sense that spiky attitude was about all they had to go on. I sort of thread between liking that early attitude, but preferring actual tunes as heard on the later albums. (And maybe with some of the overblown bombast taken down a notch from the more ridiculous moments in the mid-80's.) Simple Minds seems to be a band that I like almost despite themselves--they're not in my top tier of bands, but I appreciate them as sort of "comfort listening". If that makes any sense at all.

Mr Sam likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

"TUNELESS"? Wow! I love the albums up to - and including - 1982 because they are extremely hypnotic and uplifting. This is some of the most mesmerizing and transcendental music ever made in my book. But I agree: It's probably not based on actual tunes the way... say... Paul Simon is based on actual tunes. It's rhythm and atmosphere. And attitude. And transportation. And bliss.

So I get where you are coming from. Different strokes.

kbmh, Swindonian, Ken.e. and 5 others like this.
  11. Johnny Feathers

I'm actually listening to Sons and Fascination now. "Hypnotic" might be a good description. Or "rhythm and atmosphere". And "tuneless" sounds like a diss, and maybe I do have a preference for tunes--verse, pre-chorus, chorus, etc.--whereas they kind of remind me of Tangerine Dream, except in a rock context. Sort of amorphous.

Neonbeam and DTK like this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah the early albums (aside from the debut) does not conform to standard pop music structures.
    They were listening to Can and Neu and perhaps Bowie, and jammed to come up with the tunes, with the germs of ideas starting with Derek Forbes, Mick MacNeil and Charlie.
    But that's why partly why I love them, there's enough standard pop tunes to go around elsewhere.

I always wished they would make an album like that again; although the last few albums (and Neapolis) partly mine the same sort of dark, dancey atmosphere it's in a poppier, anthemic context far from the starkness and oddness of those early albums.

But they're not a band per se anymore, it's Jimi and Charlie collaborating with outside songwriters. It would require them assembling a real band again and sharing the song writing credits, which will NOT happen. Have Derek back to come up with bass lines that form the backbones of the tunes (he tried doing that on Neapolis but was told he wouldn't be credited as a writer), have Mick MacNeil put his dazzle on top...won't happen.

Post-Punk Monk and Neonbeam like this.
  13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

It’s just strange to me the title song isn’t on the standard CD or LP and is only on the deluxe CD in a live (?) version.

14. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan Thread Starter

there's no song called:
    sparkle in the rain

sons and fascination

good news from the next world

our secrets are the same

i don't think its strange, it happens quite a few times.

(granted those weren't turned into b-sides or existed otherwise)

later

murphmanz likes this.
  15. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I think you meant "Sister Feelings Call". :)

DTK and negative1 like this.
  16. Johnny Feathers

Most albums don’t have a track of the same name. I think, though, if an album shares the name of a track, that track usually appears on said album. I do think it’s odd to name the album after a song that’s only available as a bonus track.

17. pghmusiclover

But there IS a song with that title — that was my point — and it’s a bonus track!

ARK and negative1 like this.
  18. pghmusiclover

Exactly my point!

ARK likes this.
  19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Rare but not unheard of to have song appear as a b-side:

The Big Chair
    Sugar Tax

negative1 and Dave 81828384 like this.
  20. Johnny Feathers

Odd in those cases, too.

ARK, negative1 and JeffMo like this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

A really strange case is Led Zep “Houses of the Holy” that is NOT on the album of that same name!

ARK likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

There are other examples too. "Waiting For The Sun" by The Doors. Which coincidentally is just what I'm doing right now. It won't be long now.:unhunh:

ARK and JeffMo like this.
  23. Neonbeam

Look at the album again. :uhhuh:

Hush, negative1 and DTK like this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Most of the titles are key lines from songs on the albums though: Sister Feelings Call is a line from the song Sons and Fascination, Sparkle In The Rain is a line from Book of Brilliant Things, Good News From The Next World is a line from a song on that album.

And yeah, here there is a title track.

negative1 likes this.
  25. Art & Talk

Art & Talk Forum Resident

Vision Thing - I think this will have the same shelf life as their song Magic.
    Love this band so much but where's the tune?
    Hopefully much better music to come!