Simply Bob...DYLAN. Music and conversation.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 19, 2022.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Tried to find a universal anything goes Bobby Z appreciation thread. Only one, closed.
    So I opened this (if I missed another, close this, Gorts).

Simply Bob...DYLAN. Music and conversation.
    Everything and anything Dylan...

FULL 60 Minutes Ed Bradley 2004 Interview

[​IMG]

Sabu, HuntingBare, Hoyt and 11 others like this.
  2. lemonade kid

I am jumping to a chills inducing marriage of legends...The SUPER group incarnate.

Sadly..all but two, gone gone gone. So sweet to see Roy in a photo frame. Gone but never forgotten.
    End Of The Line...not quite...

Sabu, DavidW, oboogie and 3 others like this.
  3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

First time I knowingly heard Dylan was when my Grade 8 teacher brought in a handful of 45s one day and said we were going to listen to them and then talk about what they meant.
    The Dylan 45 was 'Positively 4th Street'.
    I dug it. This Dylan guy seemed interesting and I told the teacher so. The next day he brought in a copy of 'Blonde on Blonde' and gave it to me. He said I might like it. He was so right.
    Imagine that being the first Dylan album you hear!

Leo K, Sabu, Mooserfan and 33 others like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I LOVE EARLY BOB! pre-Bob Dylan!

5. lemonade kid

Thanks for sharing @Wildest cat from montana

For me it was Peter Paul and Mary's hit version of "Blowin' In The Wind" in 1962 that brought Dylan to me. I was 12. After that my teen years were filled with Dylan...

In 1965 it was the Byrds folk-rock hit Mr Tambourine Man that made Dylan for me...wow.
    Next level genius...
    His greatest hits 1967 LP was a stunning compilation filling my 16 year old mind...talk about blowin' my mind.

[​IMG]

The 1966 Rainy Day Woman # 12 & 35...was a wide open mind blower...I was 15.
    Everybody wants to get stoned?! I remember still to this day, singing it in my head, walking home from junior high on a rainy fall day. That'll get the newest bubblegum [music] unstuck between your ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld6fAO4idaI

This was such an iconic and influential album cover...
    Dylan unapologetically channeling James Dean.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Sabu, carrick doone, oboogie and 5 others like this.
  6. Michael

Thanks! I am going to dig into this...

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  7. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of his earlier recordings. His debut album, for one, showed that he had a great voice for the Delta Blues music. I think that's the one Dylan album I play the most, actually.

Sabu, Big Blue, Tuco and 2 others like this.
  8. Michael

I'm happy you like that era as well. : )

9. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

That's a lovely story. Music lessons at my school were a total waste of time, it's heartbreaking to think what they could have been. Imagine a knowledgeable and enthusiastic teacher bringing records in and introducing kids to music that could stay with them forever. Instead we got "you've all got a little Casio keyboard and a pair of headphones - just entertain yourselves".

10. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

My introduction to Dylan was hearing my dad play "Lily, Rosemary and The Jack of Hearts" and loving it. I didn't know what it was called so just used to ask him to "play the faster song!". That's been the name of the song in our family ever since.

Sabu, drift, Tuco and 2 others like this.
  11. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Oh, definitely! His first few years are, to me, is really akin to that Delta Blues/early Folk acoustic sound that I gravitate toward anyway. I found one of those hits CDs that Wal Mart in Canada was selling by Stargrove (I think) and it was mainly early Dylan. Great mix of early material!

Icewater_7 and Michael like this.
  12. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

I always liked Greatest Hits Volume 2 better than Volume 1. I especially liked the Happy Traum cuts, Best ever version of I shall be Released.

Nosferatuz, Big Blue, DavidW and 5 others like this.
  13. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

I really didn’t get into Dylan until 1975 when Blood On The Tracks came out. I bought it and immediately recognized it as something special, to me at least. And over the years I’ve had pretty much one of everything he released but I keep coming back to Blood , although I picked up an early mono copy of The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan from a guy I got to know who owned a small used record store in rural Pennsylvania.

I’m kind of getting into that knowing that it was that era when Dylan really legitimately put Greenwich Village on the map and opened doors for a lot of singer/songwriters who rode his coattails into fame. It wasn’t all about Bob.

14. Wildest cat from montana

What's on that CD?

raveoned and lemonade kid like this.
  15. Michael

...after Desire I was out of the group!

raveoned and lemonade kid like this.
  16. Michael

AND You Ain't Going Nowhere
    I was thrilled with the 3 songs specially recorded for GH V2

17. Wildest cat from montana

Great album...but I didn't want to get it at the time it was released.
    I had most of the songs and it was an expensive double-album.
    But, in the end, I had to get it! Had to! Just because of ' Watching The River Flow', ' When I Paint My Masterpiece' , the Happy Traum numbers and the beautiful live 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time'.

18. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Favorite artist and my top five albums of all time are by Mr. Dylan.

jimbo3688, lemonade kid and Michael like this.
  19. Wildest cat from montana

And those albums are?

lemonade kid and Michael like this.
  20. Michael

that's cool...Bob will always be in my favorites list! so many great songs in the period I love...

21. Michael

lots to pick from! early- middle -and late! I am curious as well!

lemonade kid likes this.
  22. lemonade kid

Both ARE great...it's just that vol 1 is of a time for me...my time. It covers the best of Dylan (IMHO) when I was 12 through 17 years old...that is always a deeply emotional time for any kid and stays with us forever...the teenaged soundtrack of our lives.

23. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I remember "The Times They Are A Changin'", "Corrina, Corrina", "Blowin' In The Wind", "Ballad of Hollis Brown" are a few of the songs.

They're original Columbia songs, not live recordings or anything. Stargrove was an infamous label that put out The Beatles, Beach Boys, Dylan, etc. on CD collections (and some on vinyl) that were sold in Canada and some other places outside the US. I've found some here and there for low prices, and it's a cool way to get some odd compilations!

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Okay. I'm ready to come out of the closet and say I absolutely LOVE Down in the Groove.

I've posted positive things about it in the past, but since last commenting I've had to admit that I often reach for it. I own every album by Dylan, so I could choose any of them, but Down in the Groove gets picked a lot. What I used to think of as a grab bag of stuff uncomfortably thrown together has become somewhat cohesive. When there are radical changes in style it snaps me out of my listening experience and draws me back in like a wake up call.

Down in the Groove also works late at night, or during the day. I just wish it went on longer

25. lemonade kid

I have all eight of the top two rows + Desire -- first press vinyl...mostly mono.
    Doesn't get any better -- each and every one...a masterpiece.
    Not hyperbole when it comes to the genius of Bob Dylan.

BTW, if you haven't heard Blonde On Blonde mono, you are really missing something...it's like what John Lennon said, "If you haven't heard Sgt. Peppers in mono you haven't heard Sgt. Peppers!

Haven't heard Blonde On Blonde in mono? You haven't heard Blonde On Blonde!

[​IMG]