Simply Red Mastering Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ibis, Apr 16, 2012.

1. George P

George P Notable Member

I have not found peak levels for that title that were confirmed by Diament on this site. However, I can say that the darker blue masterings sound dynamic and vivid. They certainly sound like his work.

olinko likes this.
  2. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

seems odd, is all. If it's a Diament, the credit for it going to somebody else

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Sadly, it happens a LOT.

c-eling and olinko like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Carry over credits from the Euro LP cut.
    My guess Diament probably worked from Arun's tapes. Which probably didn't need much fiddling with. The cut's/mastering's I have from him (Howard Jones/Thompson Twins) are excellent :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    olinko and George P like this.
  5. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Is the picture book US LP all analog?

6. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Anyone help figure out which mastering I have here? It says manufactured by Columbia House on the back (though has usual barcode). Seems like this is the one that should match up, but the discs aren't the same at all:

Simply Red - Picture Book

[​IMG]

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

The one you linked to is an early DADC Club manufacture, this looks to be a SRC. Probably more in line with this one.
    Simply Red - Picture Book
    Should carry the old stock mastering :)

manicpopthrill and curbach like this.
  8. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Thanks for locating it. So many entries for this disc I just start going cross-eyed looking at all the numbers. I should've guessed it was a Diament. I didn't know anything about this disc prior to popping it in, and couldn't believe my poor battered ears. Must've been quite the demo disc back in the 80s.

ibis and c-eling like this.
  9. Hi everyone, I was looking for the Simply Red 5 Box CD Original Series Albums, this sounds good? or the 1st CD pressings are better?

10. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

On the subject of Picture Book vinyl… Today I received a brand new copy of the 2020 LP remaster by Barry Grint. It’s a great pressing (done at Optimal) but my God: compared to the Elektra 1995 German pressing mastered by Arun Chakraverty, it sounds compressed, dull and lifeless… incredibly disappointing, as Grint has done some really good work elsewhere. I can only assume he had either a second-rate master to work with, or the tapes are in horrible shape. Bummer.

HAmmer likes this.
  11. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I'm wondering the same. An easy way to get them all at once. Well. Atleast the five first.

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Are you referring to the 2 disc/1 DVD set on Edsel?
    Was about to spring for it, having second thoughts

13. George P

George P Notable Member

I have since picked up a US SRC pressing with the 86.9, 82.4, 79.4, 62.9, 77.2, 88.8, 66.3, 77.4, 91.8, 82.9 peak levels and I think it is even better. More relaxed and better clarity.

And looking at the varied peak levels for this CD, with none of them hitting 100, I would bet that this is the Diament mastering.

PH416156 and c-eling like this.
  14. c-eling

Nice find! Quite possible then, however Barry did have mastering's that hit zero (on occasion)
    I still haven't come across another since I posted that. Notice anything different EQ wise?

15. George P

George P Notable Member

True, but on those occasions I believe he was supplied with EQ limited tapes.

c-eling likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

It's very close.

c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

That's what would hook me, thanks man!

George P likes this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

It's very close, though. I just edited my post.

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

US Specialty had some good plants, possible their set-up was able to get more off the tapes for the glass.

George P likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Careful, you'll get tarred and feathered talking like that around here. :laugh:

But seriously, I compared the two CDs again on my system. The detail on the SRC is exellent. Super clear. So clear that it seems brighter, even though looking at both in Audacity (levels matched) the SRC has a touch less. The one you have, the 100, 100, 88.7, comes across as warmer, more ear friendly, more analog, but with less detail at all frequencies. Based on what you said above, I would stick with what you have, unless you find a cheap SRC and want to compare.

c-eling likes this.
  21. c-eling

I know, where's Ricks at :hide: :laugh:
    Figure if a Rush-Signals MFSL can show up at my local, this of all titles will eventually show face!

George P likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

No Direction on Picture Book is a helluva test track.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Steve356 likes this.