Sinatra 100 Campaign

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Mark, the people I came in with had to leave earlier than I wanted after the "Main Event" (the panel discussion), so I didn't get to see the whole exhibit (and moved a bit quicker than I wanted). However, I very much enjoyed seeing what I did. I particularly liked a corner setup like Frank was going to paint something, or work on creating something with pastels. Also the in-house Reprise 'phonebook' of extensions for various employees. I think you would have loved seeing a display with some of Frank's clothes.

The event in the Bruno Walter theater was excellent - with Nancy, her daughter Amanda, Chuck Granata and Charlie Pignone, plus Max Weinberg and moderator Robert Santelli (from the Grammy Museum, who did a very fine job of balancing things between the participants). Though free, it was "sold out"...lots of people on stand-by, if some who had a ticket didn't show up.

Some pictures (I need to add some from the exhibit):
    http://sinatrafamily.com/forum/show...NEW-YORK-PUBLIC-LIBRARY?p=1202627#post1202627

HominyRhodes and wave like this.
  2. wave

wave Forum Resident

Thank you, Martin!

MMM likes this.
  3. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

MMM likes this.
  4. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

Max Weinberg? What'd he talk about?

DLant likes this.
  5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

A lot from a musician's standpoint, including drumming in Sinatra's music (and other music in the style, earlier era, including how a good drummer performed in such a role)...along with his love of Sinatra. He even mentioned how he likes to play drums along with some of Frank's music, and mentioned how if he tries playing along with "I've Got The World on a String", he can never quite hit the exact moment when the drums are supposed to first come in. Another things was meeting Frank (I believe at the former Garden State Arts Center) where they got to speak for a while about drummers, etc. Max was great - as was everyone.

One tangent aside that didn't have to do with Frank directly that particularly impressed me - he mentioned how 95% of the E Street Band recordings got made "live" in the studio. He said Bruce insisted on it "because that's the way Frank did it" (which he did in a Springsteen like voice).

6. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

Trailer's out for the HBO docu. I was blown away by how the retirement concert looks. They had better release this!!!

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

9. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

@Bob F has Sinatra's performance/hosting of The Hollywood Palace been released to the public on any VHS/DVD? I was just thinking about it and some of the incredible performances from it with the Basie Orchestra and Q.

MMM likes this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

No. That's one which screams out for a public release. Would make a nice bonus DVD with the Sinatra-Basie studio recordings and/or Sinatra at the Sands. Could be they're saving it for a Sinatra "Hollywood" box to join "Vegas," "New York," and "London." (Just wishful thinking; don't quote me.)

bozburn, MMM, JimSav and 1 other person like this.
  11. DLant

That performance of "Too Marvelous For Words" is well.... too marvelous for words.

I think I would spring for that Hollywood boxset if it ever comes to be.

bozburn likes this.
  12. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

Sometimes I have this wonderful dream where they release all the recordings from the 1966 engagement in one huge set. And in my dream I don't care that it's the same songs.

DLant likes this.
  13. Bob F

@DLant: There you went and quoted me, Dustin! :)

DLant likes this.
  14. DLant

Oops! :shh:

15. Mugsy5591

Mugsy5591 Member

I have a similar dream - all of the "To Be Perfectly Frank" sessions on CD/vinyl straight from the master tapes. I mean, stranger things have happened, right?

JimSav likes this.
  16. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

I had a dream that they actually did that---they released each track on one redundant compilation after another. Get the whole set for only $300!

Mugsy5591 likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ah! You must work in a record company's marketing team. :)

JimSav likes this.
  18. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Regarding Book's, whatever happened to Tom Rednour ?
    I have always thought that his book :
    Songs by Sinatra : A unique Frank Sinatra Songography, was one of the best.
    It would be great to have it revised and updated, particularly as there have been so many
    officially released Live recordings to add to the discography.

JimSav likes this.
  19. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Agreed, I got a copy for free, or dirt cheap, forgot, but I do refer to it & have made my own updates.
    Hope Tom is okay.

Bob F likes this.
  20. Bob F

He had a great website, too (songsbysinatra.com). It was taken over by blue-eyes.com (Rick Apt), the sole distributor of the book, but content was lost and that is now MIA also. A shame, as both the book and the website were fantastic references.

[EDIT] I just checked the Wayback Machine, and (lo and behold!) the site was archived:

—> Songs by Sinatra: Home Page

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    Bob Belvedere and kennyluc1 like this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Maybe the site was archived by archive.org?

22. Bob F

Great minds... :) See my edit above.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ha! That's great! I'm glad it was archived. :)

Bob F likes this.
  24. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just checked my copy. It is number 192 of 250 (First Edition) signed by Tom. Not sure how I got it, it was mailed, but do not think $45.00 was in the mix. Printed on heavy stock with thick plastic spiral binding. Also got a "bonus" booklet "On this Date Frank Recorded...."

25. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Yesterday I found a grey label 1957 copy of Sinatra's "A Swingin' Affair" in nearly flawless condition! I cleaned and played it, and it was wonderful, amazing mono sound with Frank right there in the middle singing almost like it was recorded yesterday!

KipB, DmitriKaramazov, MMM and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.