Sinatra 100 Campaign

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

You know, I'm always glad when classic films are preserved and shown in theaters, but I HATE watching digital projections!! I sat through a digital projection of Lawrence of Arabia at BAM last year and almost lost what's left of my mind. No grain, no texture. Bah!

TeacFan likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Regarding any "restored" "film" these days: That word "restored" is a real bugger. A lot of films nowadays are "restored" insofar as they clean things up to the point that they look/sound good for dvd/blu-ray release, but these "restored" versions are often nothing at all like, say the TRUE film restorations of (pick your poison) Lawrence of Arabia, Vertigo, My Fair Lady, A Star is Born, Playtime, etc., for which the PRIMARY end-product was legitimate theatrical presentation that would match or surpass the original release (or come as close as humanly possible). "Restored" is to movies today as "digitally remastered" is to music or as "digital-ready" was to headphones (for you oldies): Could mean almost anything, ranging from next-to-nothing to masterful work that deserves to win an OscarĀ®.
    I've probably seen Lawrence of Arabia projected on 70mm film at least 15 times, and the new digital transfer is one messed up mess. (I'm not a digital hater, but I do hate THAT digital mastering, AND (surprisingly) the wrongness of it even translates to the TV broadcasts on TCM. I can no longer watch that movie, if that's the source. Then again, I guess I've seen it enough.... On the other side of that coin, the new mega-k "restoration" of The Ten Commandment looked/sounded bad in the theatre, but plays okay [what I've seen of it] on television, so go figure.)

Nice to see (what I'd consider to be) a couple of surprises on there.

3. Bob Belvedere

Bob Belvedere Forum Resident

The latest entry:

32) I'LL BE AROUND

4. Bob Belvedere

The latest entry:

33) THE NEARNESS OF YOU

5. Bob Belvedere

6. Bob Belvedere

7. Bob Belvedere

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  8. Bob Belvedere

9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Keep 'em coming, Bob. great reading here.

By the way, it's official:

I have just declared Sinatra's Capitol recording of Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry to be the greatest recording in History.

Period.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  10. Bob Belvedere

11. Bob Belvedere

MichaelM and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  12. Bob Belvedere

13. Bob Belvedere

14. teag

teag Forum Resident

Don't think much of the choices made.

15. Bob Belvedere

16. MLutthans

I forget where I read this (it was probably 25 years ago -- maybe it's the liner notes created for the first CD release??????), but a writer was briefly touching on How About You from SONGS FOR SWINGIN' LOVERS and (IIRC) pointing out how the opening verse sounds perfectly normal as you listen to it, but try accurately singing along with it! It's a great example of how Sinatra can take liberties with a melody and still absolutely let the melody shine through. It's masterful and subtle, and draws little attention to itself as being overtly "different." (It's an odd comparison, I admit, but it reminds me of Paul McCartney's bass playing, which comes across as just "Oh, that's just the bass part to, for instance, 'Don't Let Me Down,'" -- no big deal -- but have you really ever focused on all the cool stuff going on in that bass part? It's full of creativity without wearing a sign that says, "I'm being creative. Notice me!" It never forgets to serve the music.)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  17. Bob Belvedere

I find it near-impossible to sing-along with How About You - and I do a lot of that with Frank.

18. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

I've often said Franks' changing of lyrics and the lengths of "Terrrriiifffficccclys" on "I Get A Kick Out Of You" for example always keeps me in my toes.

19. MLutthans

Just remembered that the quote I was referring to was about ANYTHING GOES. Ah, senility.......

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    MMM likes this.
  20. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I love it how Sinatra presents the first verse relatively straight, then with each succeeding time he's leaping all over the melody, above and below it, making some pretty large interval leaps, and yet it all sounds completely spontaneous and "nice 'n' easy". (Well maybe it was easy for HIM.) He even throws in a nice slide for good measure towards the end. Exactly HOW does he make this all so SOUND darned easy?

I love how his voice just magically jumps into a higher register -- it appears to be completely effortless! Yet ALWAYS expressive, always bringing out the emotion or the point of the song.

It would be fascinating to hear the outtakes of this (if there were any). Did he do it differently each time?

21. Bob Belvedere

MichaelM likes this.
  22. Bob Belvedere

23. Bob Belvedere

24. Bob Belvedere