Sinatra album Nice 'n' Easy. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

This has always been one of my top 5 Capitol Sinatra albums and top 10 overall. It doesn't seem to get the same level of attention of many Capitol albums, and understandably so when speaking of the brilliance of many of those Capitol titles. Still, I feel it's......wait for it......that overused phrase.....Underrated.
    Maybe some of you are more knowledgeable as to the history behind the Nice 'n' Easy album as far as if it qualifies as a mere thrown together group of songs album, or if it was a genuine attempt to create another great album with Riddle, or somewhere inbetween.
    As far as slower love song albums go it's nowhere near the level of Wee Small Hours or Only the Lonely but I tend to enjoy it more than the other Capitol albums that are also in this category.
    Nice 'n' Easy receives 5 stars from Almusic, Encyclopedia of Poular Music and the 1992 Rolling Stone Album Guide but in the 79/83 edition it's 4 stars out of 5 and 3.5 stars in the 2004 edition.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    ggjjr, 905, Rockford & Roll and 5 others like this.
  2. I believe this is another Nelson Riddle collaboration, is it not? In any case, I think it's right up there with his other Capitols from that era. The only thing that throws me is that going by the LP title and title track, you go in expecting more of a 'swinging album' a la "A Swinging Affair" or "Come Dance With Me", when it actually turns out to be a mostly ballads affair.

The other thing I will mention is that unlike Sinatra's other Capitols, I'm almost sure the mono version is a folddown. Sounds terrible. I ended up jettisoning mine and getting the stereo instead.

3. Price.pittsburgh

Yes, it is Riddle.
    Great album cover too.

Paul J and RSteven like this.
  4. Price.pittsburgh

Just read the Nearness of You was originally dropped for the title track. At what point did it find itself back on the tracklist? Was just only in the cd era? How bout cassettes?
    And what would the title of the album been?

tug_of_war likes this.
  5. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

I’m sorry. I must be missing something. I’m confused how did Nice ‘n’ Easy sound like a swinging album? The nice part? The easy part? The ‘n’?

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's part of my Frank Sinatra Collection...love it and play it often...there really isn't any Frank I don't love...Frank rules along with Dean!

7. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

It is one of Sinatra's contractual obligation albums, which IMO are overshadowed by the early Reprise albums.

8. Price.pittsburgh

Well, aren't all Capitol albums contractual obligations lol? Just kidding. I was wondering if it was since it was 1960 but I was under the impression only his 61 albums fit that description. Not sure if he was ready to roll on from Capitol to Reprise just yet then or not.

9. ShockControl

There was an overlap between the two labels. This one was on the cusp. I'm not sure if he knew he was planning to leave Capitol at this point. He definitely knew by the next album (Swingin' Session).

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The title song had nothing to do with the other 11 tracks. The album was conceived as a remake of Sinatra’s Columbia ballads in the 1940s.

At the last minute, the Capitol brass pulled “The Nearness of You” and substituted the promising upcoming single. Sinatra was reportedly not pleased, but Reprise was already in the works by then. If anything, this sealed his departure from the label, although I’m sure he didn’t mind that the instincts of the Capitol bosses were correct and the album achieved enormous success.

See also earlier thread:
    Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Nice 'n' Easy" - 1960*

MLutthans, C6H12O6, McLover and 16 others like this.
  11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

By the way, FSE chief Charles Pignone mentioned recently that a 60th Anniversary reissue of Nice ‘n’ Easy is planned for release this year. Nothing else definite yet, but it may be something to look forward to in 2020.

13. ShockControl

So the phoned-in quality I'm picking up on must be based on the circumstances.

14. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

It's a solid album. The title track is probably my all-time favourite Sinatra song.

15. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

I nevah... evah... do nothin' nice 'n' easy.

I always do it nice... and rough.

SuddenSam and BZync like this.
  16. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I like it, one of my favorites of his. I think my best condition player copy is mono...been awhile.

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Answer to question: How to get Tina Turner into a Sinatra thread? ;)

18. frus75

frus75 Forum Resident

I absolutely adore this album, and it works great with the nearness of you added. I would qualify it as a very romantic album. And the orchestrations and Sinatra’s voice are spectacular.

19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Best news ever!!!

kt66brooklyn and Bob F like this.
  20. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

Love me some Frank Sinatra. His albums have THAT sound that few have. One of the greats for sure. DG

21. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I have this album on a series of 7 inch stereo 33 rpm singles. They were for stereo juke boxes, apparently. The pressings are high quality and the music is excellent.

joshm2286 and D.B. like this.
  22. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Anyone else notice that a track that was a bonus on the CD version of this album, The Nearness of You, but dated 2020 and a shown as a new single release, briefly appeared on Spotify early today, then disappeared?

Bob F likes this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Interesting. This may have something to do with the impending new 60th Anniversary reissue mentioned above (not yet announced). That would explain the 2020 date. They usually release one track from a new album in advance as a streaming “single” on Spotify and elsewhere. Perhaps someone jumped the gun, and it was quickly withdrawn pending a press release?

RSteven, DmitriKaramazov and sharedon like this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

And incidentally, here is where he mentioned it, in conversation with Alan Bergman about the recent album issue, Frank Sinatra Sings Alan & Marilyn Bergman, last fall…

Alan Bergman on Frank Sinatra "Nice N' Easy":

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Posted by Frank Sinatra on Facebook

SiriusXM is opening streaming up for free until May 15th! Listen to Siriusly Sinatra & more for free right now at home. Go to siriusxm.us/SiriuslySinatraSXM to start listening.

Listen to all new CHAIRMAN'S HOURS every Saturday during April and May at 6PM EDT/3PM PDT and the new NICE 'N' EASY 60th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL coming this May exclusively on SIRIUSLY SINATRA!