Sinatra album Nice 'n' Easy. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Feb 6, 2020.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Album cover used to put me off.
    But this is a classy album, class !!!

Musical Chairs likes this.
  2. Joseph Calhoun

Joseph Calhoun Well-Known Member

3. Joseph Calhoun

4. sinatrapicturefan

sinatrapicturefan Forum Resident

The remastering of THE NEARNESS OF YOU is terrific. They are also including session material as bonus tracks. The nice n' easy session material has been on previous bootlegs but I don't believe I have heard the I've Got A Crush on You session material. FS knew these songs so well (with the exception of the title track) and it shows. His long-note/deep breath singing technique might be more evident on this album than any other he recorded.

.crystalised. and RSteven like this.
  5. Joseph Calhoun

It sounds a bit compressed and louder compared to the version that figures on the Ultimate Sinatra : The Centennial Collection. I wonder if they also used the 3-track tapes for this version that has tons of reverb. But Sinatra's voice is sometimes less drowned in the instruments (for example when he sings "If you'll only grant me the riiight" , "The right" is much more present than on the 2020 version.

But I'm super excited for this ! I wish they would do the same with Where Are You ?...I can only imagine what Lonely Town must sound like once remastered from the 3-track tape

RogerB likes this.
  6. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I have the 1991 Walsh CD, the CD from the UK Box, the MFSL CD and a French MONO needledrop. Forget the terrible Norberg CD!
    The MFSL with the wet stereo mix is my go-to version!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It is possible that the new UMe release will use the MFSL mastering, which was made under license from Capitol Records, for the 12 original album tracks. Time will tell.

8. Joseph Calhoun

9. AJH

AJH Senior Member

It would be a very welcome change from what they have recently released, however, I certainly will not be holding my breath.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

[ Reposted from the Sinatra Family Forum ]

Has anyone noticed the new mix?

With less than two weeks before the full (digital) release of the new 60th Anniversary edition of Nice ’n’ Easy, I’ve had to content myself with listening online to the two advance previews—“The Nearness of You” and the title track. These are both definitely NEW stereo remixes!

All other sonic considerations aside, the channels are reversed (correctly) from the original stereo masters and subsequent remixes to date. To quote Matt Lutthans from page two of his excellent evaluation and comparison website:
    I noticed. The strings are now back on the left where they belong.

(It’s not yet been announced who did the new mixes, but I’m betting it’s Larry Walsh and he read Matt’s web pages. ;))

11. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

If I'm dim in my reading I apologize. It seems like the O.P.'s simply asking if it's liked or not in spite of the "thoughts" appendage. What kind of question is that? It's like asking; interrupting a greased pompadoured kid hangin' on a Brooklyn Street Corner in 1956 while he's rolling a pack of cigs in the sleeve of his tee shirt waiting his turn with Kitty in the alley if he likes big finned Cadillacs.

The lockdown's obviously getting to me.

...The Nice 'n' Easy MFSL cd is spectacular! As spectacular as the songs themselves, the performance, the arrangements and the musicianship. It's Classic Frank... Nice and Easy.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  12. fenderesq

That about say it all.

RSteven likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

“Spectacular” is in the ear of the beholder. The MFSL CD (and LP) is quite nice (and it’s my favorite), BUT (big but)… Like all MFSL products, it’s based on the original stereo (mixdown) master. Some people are less than happy with that mix (e.g., the amount and type of vocal reverb), and it has some technical flaws (e.g., ork channels reversed).

Read Matt’s analysis: Nice ‘n’ Easy - 1960

MLutthans, spindly, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  14. fenderesq

I'm not fool enough to challenge any word on The Chairman from Bob F. (who I'll take this opportunity to thank for all the wonderful insights and information) and I must admit I have winced a bit at the amount of reverb from time to time... but that often fades as I sink into Sinatra's magic. I do admit to sometimes maybe not being as discerning as I might be regarding the production; specifically comparative production qualities from source to source; but at the same time and I'm not defending myself... not thinking too much about the production allows me to simply enjoy the music. You are correct I should holster "spectacular" more then I have. But it is Mr. Sinatra!

I'll also add here; as I never have... that Matt is; as are you Bob, a treasured and much appreciated resource as far as any and all things Francis Albert.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    MLutthans, Budley, Rob Hughes and 4 others like this.
  15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

:) Thank you for that perhaps undeserved compliment. I didn’t mean to overshadow the music, but the upcoming 60th release raises new possibilities regarding the production.

By the way, to show the roots of the music on this album, I offer the following playlist:

That Old–New Feeling (Then & Again) - YouTube

16. I will have to revisit this album. My favorite Blue Eyes recordings are Live at the Sands and Sinatra Plays Jobim.

17. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm hearing that too. Something about the new mix is causing the vocal to get a little lost at times. Like he's being overpowered by the orchestra. Compared to my 91 cd it is quite evident.

Joseph Calhoun and MarkusGermany like this.
  18. Joseph Calhoun

and now I hear it too on this session. it's like there's a loudness effect on the orchestra, and it's interacting with Sinatra's voice in a very dominant way.

Rudi likes this.
  19. Thanks for the feedback on this release. I'll wait until I find a used original copy that has that black Capitol label with the rainbow encircling the label.

Joseph Calhoun likes this.
  20. Joseph Calhoun

I really don't get the choice of making the orchestra as loud as possible. It's like they tried to get as much "information" as possible by making every single tinkle louder than before. And the low frequencies are just overpowering Sinatra's voice at some points in a very disturbing way...This is a recording that one would qualify as "audiophile", but almost every year I keep lowering the volume on my amp because releases - new ones or reissues, keep getting louder and louder. It's 2020 and as matter of preservation of a legacy, my guess would be that releasing the purest and unaltered form of music makes more sense than trying to adapt it to today's pop standards.

21. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Curiously, the previous 60th Anniversary release, Only The Lonely, had the opposite going on. The voice was out front and separated from the orchestra compared to the 87 CD. I still enjoyed that reissue a lot though. Perhaps they (Larry Walsh?) overcompensated on this one after reactions to that one. I'll reserve judgement until the CD comes out.

22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Does anyone know if Capitol had a title or cover art for this album before they added the title tune?

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It’s digital release day, and based on streaming samples just released at Amazon UK, it’s confirmed that all tracks on the new 60th Anniversary album have been remixed with the strings on the left.

MLutthans and RSteven like this.
  24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member