Sinatra album Nice 'n' Easy. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Feb 6, 2020.

1. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Make it so! You won‘t regret it!

RSteven likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Wish I could split the difference, with the vocal clarity of the original mix with the actual, logical balancing of the orchestra in the remix. Alas, as a headphone guy, the remix is far more listenable. I don't find the compression that bad...certainly sounds fine compared to most of my listening which is typically rock and heavier/louder stuff.

Wordnat2, Tommyboy and RSteven like this.
  3. walrus

I take it there’s never been a re-release of the mono version? I feel like that might be the best option here.

4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I have the original CD release and the sound is excellent. It is a brilliant album with superb song selections, sensitive arrangements, and definitive vocal performances. It is a standout even in a catalog as strong as Sinatra’s. The title song and the cover are somewhat misleading because they are much lighter than the overall tone of album.

I don’t think it is underrated. I believe it is commonly ranked among his best albums.

James_S888, MarkusGermany and RSteven like this.
  5. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Hey all (and by "all" I really mean Bob),

Is the alternate take of "Nice & Easy" that's on the Romance collection part of the session material on the new remix/reissue?

PJ (proud owner of the MFSL gold CD)

MarkusGermany and Bob F like this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That’s a grey market release most likely sourced from a CD. You can do a lot better.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer, from my SFF post:

I was curious what would be included on the final bonus track, “Nice ’n’ Easy” (Session Takes), as some of the actual session material would “turn this place into a barn in the morning” [to quote FS]. ;)

The track consists of three alternate attempts of the title song…
    • Take 8: Complete take with the ending ad-libs “Would you like to try it once more?” and “Slowly, baby!”
      Previously unreleased officially.

• Take 9: Incomplete false start.

• Take 10: Complete take with the ending ad-libs “Let’s try it once more, hmm?” and “Isn’t that better, baby?”
      Previously released on the 2007 compilation CD, Romance: Songs from the Heart.

Nice 'n' Easy (2020 Mix / Session Takes)

9. ModernBingFan0377

ModernBingFan0377 Crosby ‘Connoisseur’

I almost wish Frank wouldn’t have said that as it only makes me more interested.

John Porcellino and RSteven like this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

He didn’t say it at this session, of course. That’s a quote from his monologue on Sinatra at the Sands.

RSteven likes this.
  11. ModernBingFan0377

I know, I just meant any session including this one, I want to see if there were any sessions that could be heard in full without turning the place into a barn.

RSteven likes this.
  12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Lots of session stuff leaked out long ago. (Off bounds per forum rules.) Frankly (pun intended), the released takes are much more interesting.

RSteven and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  13. ModernBingFan0377

I think I’ve heard a bit from the leaked ones from a fan account.

14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I just love those additional ad-libs on Nice 'n' Easy. They are make it essential for me as I don't have the Romance collection in my possession. These are absolute gems to me. It's like being a fly on the wall with the legend right there in front of you doing his thing.

ModernBingFan0377 likes this.
  15. Geoff Whiteley

Geoff Whiteley Well-Known Member

Thanks, Tommyboy. I have ordered a UMC issue, for comparison, and will check for other, better, issues.
    It's something of a minefield, record collecting, potentially expensive, too, especially with MoFi vinyl issues, but have just opted for their gold cd, and cancelled the vinyl copy order.
    Or do you know of a better vinyl copy?

16. sinatrapicturefan

sinatrapicturefan Forum Resident

Thanks to all for their comments on the new 60th Anniv. release. I am looking forward to getting the CD next month. Interesting to read the comments from some about the orchestra being too dominant in the new remix. Wonder what FS would say about that? I imagine that he would love the "new sound" given that he was often positioned right in the middle of the orchestra when recording. One can only imagine what it sounded like to be surrounded by some of the best musicians in the world. I think a remix that attempts to recreate that studio session sound that Sinatra may have heard is exciting to think about.

RSteven and walrus like this.
  17. walrus

Don’t let the purists scare you, it’s a well-done remix.

18. ModernBingFan0377

I personally enjoy the new remix, and I can say this. If you want to hear more of the orchestra than the older mixes and releases get this version, I like hearing the orchestra a bit more. If you like a bit more vocal than what you've heard in the new remixes get an older release, whether MFSL or not.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

This album always had a fuzz haze to it. Separating the fuzz and making it louder reveals too much. And now Frank is all by himself with the fuzz, while the orchestra is out there yelling their fuzz. Before at least they were all in the box being hazy high together and it gave the album a certain feel. Poor Fuzzy Frank.

MLutthans and .crystalised. like this.
  20. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

So I received the CD this afternoon, LP not yet despatched from HMV UK...

I think it sounds really good, a bit more mid rangey than the Gold MFSL. Potentially the best it has sounded in my view, I think the louder Orchestra is simply the high level of the mid range, I eqd it back a bit and added a touch more treble in the 8000 range and it sounds very engaging. The vocals dont sound so encroached as a result.

The harsh almost fuzzyness of the vocals on the MFSL has gone and the rice papery sound of the MFSL has been reigned in a bit.

Honestly a quick touch of EQ based on what I described above and this is really a great sounding disc.

I wish I didnt have to EQ almost every disc to get it to my preferred tone but there we go.

Been nice to have had a cardboard slipcover, also missing from the My Way disc, just makes it slightly less WOW when you open your postage, though the cover being a better rendition of the actual album as opposed to the stupid zoom in Capitol did in the past is nice.

So it is quite silly the Digital album cover looks to have the gamma raised too high and makes it a little less dynamic compared to the CD cover but anyway that's just a small thing.

The Nearness of You is nice to have part of the remastered list too, the outtakes interesting but a little silly, I guess there is a market for it. That sort of thing is better on a separate disc like Great Songs From Great Britain rather than tagged on the end, as you sort of lose all the mood from the main album as a result.

All in all pleased with the sound, this may end up being my goto version over the others with my EQ tweak in place.

21. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I ordered a CD copy last week along with For Only The Lonely. I'm still waiting on Nice n Easy. Both used CDs.

22. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Apart from an email in April 6th. I’ve seen nothing to promote this and , indeed, had forgot to order it until today. It could just be me but if not it’s no good complaining ( as record companies often do) that product doesn’t sell if you don’t push it.

peace and love✌Dave

23. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

The 2020 remix of the song Nice and Easy seems modeled on the version on the Complete Capitol Singles Box from 1996 down to strings in the left channel, and dry vocals. Slightly different EQ tonality though. Have to get Capitol Collectors Series version out of my closet to compare that though.

joshm2286 likes this.
  24. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

Ordered. Looking forward to it arriving tomorrow.

RSteven likes this.
  25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Rice papery sound? What do you mean?