"Sinatra: All or Nothing at All" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Alert, Aug 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alert

Alert Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just finished watching this two part series on Netflix. Very well done. Lots of great Sinatra footage. They use his 1971 retirement concert as a framing device -- somewhat like "Elvis Presley: The Searcher" used his '68 comeback special to frame that film.

Sinatra's story is so long, with so many twists and turns, that it leaves out quite a bit. However, as a narrative, it's cogent and satisfying. The ending is nicely done and caps his career as the long-running show biz triumph that it clearly is.

A worthy, dramatic and enjoyable four hour journey.

Here's the trailer:

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. Alert

Wow, I didn't realize it was previously broadcast on HBO. It just came on Netflix this past week and I thought it was new.

Well, we live and we learn!

Thanks.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Netflix recycles a lot of films, TV shows, and miniseries in between their original programming. Takes nothing away from a well done miniseries, as most HBO shows are.

I think it was Jr.'s narration that pushed me to look it up. I enjoyed him being on The Sopranos a couple of times, and knew that he had passed ( 2016 ).

Not being a religious but rather casual fan, I had no idea there was a period of being so far down, he could walk the street ( in the rain or dramatic effect ? ) and nobody cared ??? Man was deep in the gutter.

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

George P likes this.
  6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Ghostworld and MRamble like this.
  7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

One of his best!

8. Alert

I did a search before I started this thread. I searched the title "Sinatra: All or Nothing at All" and nothing came up. I was surprised that there wasn't already discussion about this...

9. George P

George P Notable Member

In case you didn't know, for future reference, the best way to search the site is to use Google and add "Steve Hoffman" to your search.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’ve run into the same problem it doesn’t matter. The way the threads are archived around here you might as well just start a new one. It’s not like we’re overrun with threads in this forum and having an extra thread makes a difference. Sadly the visual arts form is about as fast paced as a Saturday night in Peoria.

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

If you search for that exact string in all forums—with the double-quotes and not just in titles—you will get more hits (although many are related to the song title):

Search Results for Query: "Sinatra: All or Nothing at All" | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Since most of the old threads are now closed (unnecessarily), you would have had to start a new one anyway for further discussion.

The Sinatra Family Forum is also a good place for more information:

HBO Documentary - Sinatra All Or Nothing At All

Sinatra: All Or Nothing At All

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.