Sinatra / Capitol 180g LPs: Wee Small Hours, Come Fly with Me, Come Dance with Me*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by randy9700, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Here are photos of my COME FLY WITH ME 180g Capitol pressing that I bought today.

There is an Essex Productions credit on the label, and the UPC is on the cellophane, not the outer sleeve itself. The only things to give the sleeve away as being a "newbie" are the very, very fine print on the back that reads, "Manufactured by Capitol Records, LLC., 1750 N. Vine Street, Hollywood, CA 90028"

There's even T-Rim info on the inner sleeve, which is on very thick card stock, not mere paper.

Even the spine is period-correct.

Well, one more thing, I guess: Weren't the original sleeves printed with a color slick glued to the front of a B&W-printed outer sleeve? This is not like that.

Matt

Attached Files:

2. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I wonder if the new Stereo 'Come Dance' is going to be from an echoey mono source tape as well? :goodie::shake:

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Amazing - they went to the trouble to do all that great artwork/label reproduction, and they matched it to the wrong version(s). :sigh:

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Agree. It promotes NICE 'N' EASY on the back. The side with the two U47's is similar to an older variant.

5. MLutthans

The new 180g COME FLY WITH ME has "RM' handwritten in the deadwax, far away from all the matrix numbers. Ron McMaster?????

6. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Are you sure it's not "BN"? :D

7. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

well something has to be wrong, its a Sinatra re-issue...

8. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Ok, so Come Fly With Me is in mono, correct?

That saves me the trouble, since i have the EMI 100 version already.

I'm still thinking about getting the 180g 'In the wee small hours', although at this point I'm confused as to whether it's supposed to be good or not. I also went ahead and ordered the Walsh cd from Amazon UK, it has to sound better than my lousy noisy LP pressing.

This thread is costing me some money, but at least I know now to avoid the Norberg CDs...

9. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

+1 on this. How many people here have now heard the 180g Small Hours? How would they rate it against the average gray label that one is likely to see for sale at a reasonable price (i.e., a "well-loved" copy). From the clip posted a few pages back, it sounds to me like there's some reverb on there, but it's definitely better than the 1998 CD. It'd be helpful if someone who's heard more than 30 second clips of both the Walsh CD and the new 180g release could tell us how the two compare, as it's hard for me to tell what would be worse—an album's worth of stereo reverb murk, or an album's worth of unnecessary mono reverb.

PS I like that tweaked clip of the new LP, MLutthans. Probably better that the Capitol folks didn't try to do any such mastering, though, given their track record…

10. musicmax

musicmax New Member

[​IMG]

Can't Capitol do ANYTHING right with its FAS catalog?

11. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Not many it seems. Or they're staying mum.:sigh:
    Miles better.

I posted some pithy commets a few pages back. But since no one else has weighed in, I'd take the new LP over the Walsh. It's real mono, with what appears to be the ca.1961 reverb job, which, like it or not, sounds more natural.
    And the biggest plus is the greater sense of depth, with stuff that jumps out at you. On the Walsh CD everything stays locked behind this sort of gauzy 'digital curtain' if you will.

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Should be.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

PLEASE, people, write the name of the album you are talking about in your post. Some people are totally lost.

14. MLutthans

Good idea for "protocol" on this thread, Steve. Most of the recent chat has been about COME FLY WITH ME, much of it based on some samples posted here. There are also samples posted from IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS, here.

Matt

15. hankbe46

hankbe46 Forum Resident

Has anyone gotten the 2009 COME DANCE, and if so, is it stereo or mono?

16. DJ WILBUR

someone must know the answer to this question...

17. MLutthans

Hey, Sinatra guys: 10 posts have been deleted from this thread (and it has been closed and reopened) JUST TODAY. Let's not flame each other, and lets not wander into potential "bootleg" territory. This is a good thread, but it needs to stay "clean," i.e., no attacks, no bootlegs or even quasi-bootlegs.

Matt

18. MLutthans

There is a new samples page up for "COME DANCE WITH ME!" (Recorded 1958, released 1959, nominated for Album of the Year.)

Have a listen, and let's get some good comments going. 10 selections; lots of fodder for discussion. See here.

19. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Sheesh does anyone have any idea what you guys are talking about anymore?

This thread is just a muddled mess.

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Just like Frank Sinatra's Capitol catalog. :sigh:

21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The thread has meandered and lost direction from the original discussion of the Capitol "From the Vault" vinyl re-issues of "In The Wee Small Hours", "Come Fly With Me" and "Come Dance With me". It's evolved into a discussion about any re-issue of Sintra's Capitol label material.

At one point someone asked how many people who had posted actually had heard the re-issued record being discussed. I went back and read the entire thread and counted two whom definitively had and one other person who might have. There's little informed opinion or confirmed information about the Capitol re-issued vinyl.

22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I've been trying to follow along as well but it's pretty damn near impossible.

I just keep waiting for a simple 'not bad' or 'it sucks stay away' or anything! Geesh.

Heck, it's only $20...I should just buy 'Come Fly With Me' and hear it for myself. If it sucks then I can still spin it as background music during gatherings or whatever.

I've grown really tired of the obsessive compulsive nature of this stuff.

dan c

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Exactly my experience. These titles arrived at a local store last week, which was having a sale this weekend. I looked to this thread for some information, but unfortunately other than a post that loved the Capitol re-issue of 'Wee Small Hours' (later moderated to a "like it very much") and a second rating of B+ by someone else, there's not much else on topic.

24. DJ WILBUR

you can hear 30 seconds of Come Fly With me from the new vinyl issue here

http://web.mac.com/mlutthans/iWeb/Site 37/1958 - Come3.html

realize, it's actually the mono master though.

25. DJ WILBUR

we've had the ability to hear samples from two of the new vinyl reissues and many members have shared all sorts of samples that Matt has compiled for all of us to decide what version is best for each ear.

what more does anyone need but their own ears and the samples from these new vinyls to decide if they are worthwhile.

Curious why people need a list of other people's comments if they are worthy. We've got samples, use your ears...samples are available in this thread....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.