Sinatra / Capitol: General Purpose Sound Quality (and more) Discussion Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 10, 2009.

1. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Thank you both, bgiliberti and sean!

2. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

I think none of the Walsh are pure mono. The channels are asymmetric on all of them - sometimes more (In The Wee Small Hours), sometimes less...

3. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Matt what happened to the gray label mono LP clip and 12:00 Rainbow Stereo LP clip?

Having listened to each of these I would say that the Walsh remix is really quite good. Yes, you can sometimes hear the distortion from the bad tube on the flutes, but it sounds better than the other stereo versions.

I thought the gray label mono LP had the most direct and engaging sound overall. The mono from the new LP and Catch Me If You Can have too much reverb for my taste. Your EQ tweak did improve the sound of the new LP. The MoFi sounds has a nice smooth quality to it, but I think on the whole I prefer the Walsh CD, at least for this one song.

As usual the Norberg is the worst. Just awful. I sincerely believe the man must have significant hearing damage. I don't mean that in a snarky kind of way, but it is hard for me to imagine that anyone would not hear how much significantly worse he makes everything sound.

I'm gonna have to get a gray label mono version of this one. Thanks again for posting all these clips, it is very helpful considering what a minefield Sinatra's releases are.

4. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

The Walsh 'Songs For Young Lovers/Swing Easy' is solid mono. As mentioned, it is an excellent, warm sounding CD.
    'Swingin' Affair.' is mono too, with some minor droputs present in either channel from being played on a stereo machine 'unfolded.'

I don't believe there was a 12 o'clock stereo there.
    It was a 9 o'clock stereo (which I can't find either.) And a 12 o'clock mono.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I need to speak very gingerly about "what happened to the gray label mono LP clip," because I treasure the input of the member who sent me that clip, and want him to continue sending me samples as we go through these Sinatra Capitol releases. He's a good guy, and this was simply a mistake that resulted from voluminous file sharing, renaming, etc. The aural equivalent of a clerical error mixed with the digital problem of not being able to really ever confirm that what you think you are getting is what you are actually getting. Digital file sharing just makes everything -- good AND bad -- way too convenient, dang it!

Here's what happened. I posted the sample, and another forum member PM'd me, saying that something didn't sound quite right. I PM'd the person who originally sent the file, just to get his rebuttal, if you will, to the first PM, and we went back and forth a few times trying to find out the provenance of that sound file.

What we finally decided is that, with the joys of file exchanging, the task of keeping sound files in the right folders, duping, renaming, etc., that particular clip was misfiled or misnamed, and was *not* a gray label Capitol pressing. The person who sent it to me had received it from somebody else, yada yada yada. Totally innocent mistake.

Here's where it gets interesting, though. The way that the original sender and I were able to conclude (together and in full agreement) that it COULD NOT BE an original gray label was by simple aural evidence. On the mono mix, there are some very distinctive, closely-miked "harp plucks" (pardon the vernacular) in the opening few seconds. These are buried/obscured on the stereo mixes, but clear and "up front" in mono. The were not audible on the "gray label" file. Furthermore, because of the bad mic tube on the stereo mic, when the brass goes crazy in the middle of the song, the distortion is quite bad in stereo, but clean sounding in mono. On the "gray label" file, in a latter portion that was not part of the original posted sample (which was only :22 seconds long), the brass crunched away in a sea of distortion. Again, this is not akin to what one would hear on the mono mix.

Just to double-confirm, I did a fold-down of the Walsh mix to mono, and it sounded virtually IDENTICAL to that "gray label" file: Same balances, same missing harp plucks, same levels of distortion on the brass.

A note to the wise: That "gray label" file may have sounded pretty good in those first 22 seconds, but, for instance, when the brass break comes, it was heavily distorted, and not something you probably would have wanted as your "go to" copy. (Actually, you more-or-less can have it. Just fold down the Walsh!)

Verdict, agreed upon by myself and the person who sent the file: It was a fold-down. The person who sent the file felt awful, I felt awful. It was all an honest mistake. (Sharing actual LPs used to require a lot of work. Maybe that was a good thing!)

---------------------------------------------

In related news: I'll be doing a minor overhaul of the COME FLY WITH ME samples pages, and choosing "the winners" (purely subjective, of course) tonight or tomorrow.

Matt

6. floweringtoilet

Thanks for the update. Not a big deal. It did actually sound pretty good, IMO, but then I think the Walsh sounds quite good as well.

7. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

No need to speak gingerly. It was my fault and I f'd it up. My apologies if anyone was misled by my inadequate file keeping methods.

I was processing the stereo and mono LP's at the same time. I record mono LP's with a stereo needle and then fold it down using MS processing. Somehow, I folded down the stereo and marked it as mono. I then brilliantly deleted the original mono files and sold my minty mono pressing. :shake:

$hit happens. :( Once again, my apologies guys.

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

^^^^^ No problem, Salleno. Stuff does happen, and I just hope you will keep sharing, as I'm really digging getting to hear all these Capitol odds & sods.

Matt

9. floweringtoilet

You really have nothing to apologize for. Mistakes happen, it's not open heart surgery or anything.

10. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

Yeah I know...but I still feel bad.

11. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

I checked again and there's some difference between the two channels on SFYL and SE. The Walsh CD in this case sounds MILES better than the UK version. I assume the Walsh version comes from the 10" master...

12. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Not my Walsh CD. I tell ya. There's no difference between the channels.

13. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Have there been two different pressings, then? I've ripped with EAC and substracted one channel from the other and got a significant amount of signal. Could be the playback on stereo equipment-effect you've described above...

Ironically, this seems to be just about the only thing that is right about the Norberg 'Concepts'...

14. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I have the 1987 Walsh (Capitol CDP 7 48470 2) CD.

Listening over headphones, and switching the mono button on my amp back and forth, it stays as dead center as can be.
    I haven't gone into any EAC stuff.

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

They wouldn't have to borrow anything. Capitol U.S. has the masters. EMI UK would have copies...

16. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

The Walsh SFYL/SE is so mono I use it to phase my speakers.

17. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

The 'expanded' 12" 'Swing Easy' is pretty lousy, no high end at all. It's like you stuffed your speakers with cotton wool.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I have a 12" with SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS on one side and SWING EASY on the other side. Both sides sound wonderful having been cut from the original A takes on the 10" MG sides.

Ah, wait. You're talking about a 12" of just SWING EASY? Different animal.

19. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Capitol 1429.

12 song version with some single tracks (like 'Lean Baby') scattered in there.

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This came out circa 1962 (although some sources date it in 1960), after Capitol had futzed with the mono master tapes. Not only did they intersperse four unrelated singles, but they reordered the original eight album tracks. Horrible.

This is the album which was reproduced in the UK/Alan Dell 1984 LP series and 1998 CD box set. As Steve said, the Capitol 12-inch from 1955 (W 587), with Swing Easy! on one side (and the cover), and Songs For Young Lovers on the flip, is the preferred LP issue for both albums.

21. rangerjohn

For those of us who haven't had access to a turntable for many years, are there any import CDs containing the MONO mixes for the stereo era Capitol albums (or the early Reprise albums, for that matter)?

I have the (wonderful) MoFi "Only the Lonely," but would love to own CD versions of the MONO "Where Are You?," "Come Fly," "Come Dance," "Swingin Session," etc.

Excuse my ignorance if this has been covered already.

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

No. Occasional mono versions of individual songs may be found on compact disc, but no full albums (besides the recent MFSL Only The Lonely release).

There is at least one mono Capitol track which differs (i.e. is a different take) from its stereo counterpart: "Autumn Leaves" from the Where Are You? LP. This was available only on a French EMI double CD titled Embraceable You. It's one of the only officially-released Sinatra recordings which I don't have on compact disc.

23. rangerjohn

Thanks again, Bob. That's very disappointing. Maybe the success of the Beatles' Mono Box will encourage Capitol (and Reprise) to think about Mono CD releases.

24. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I agree. My two-fer gray label sounds wonderful. I avoid those Capitol 14XX reissues.

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

You need (if you don't have) the 2 on 1 W-587, which has it and YOUNG LOVERS as intended, each on one side of a 12" LP. Either an old pressing, or the Mobile Fidelity (which was only sold originally as part of the box set). Those expanded issues come from the bad tapes. The 80's JPN copy is pretty good too - ECJ-50065, IIRC.