Sinatra / Capitol: General Purpose Sound Quality (and more) Discussion Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 10, 2009.

1. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

I'm sorry to take this thread even further away, but since there are some serious concerns whether there are two different late-1980s/early 1990s masterings of SFYL/SE, I've decided to copy excerpts from my EAC log for reference:

The bar code of my pressing is 0777 7 48470 2 5 with catalog number CDMFP 5973 - no mention of CDP here (as Bob has written). Maybe somebody can compare this to a 1987 US pressing...

2. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Can you tell from EAC if both channels are identical, ie, mono? I have the same MFP EU disc but I don't know how to use EAC. It sounds mono to me.

3. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Maybe some others can chime in here, but afaik the best way to find out is to rip the entire CD and then load it into an audio editor, invert one channel and add it to the other one. I did this to my rip and found out there's quite some substantial amount of signal left - so, not pure mono...

The high amount of rips (for this kind of music) in the accurate rip database would lead me to the assumption that there is only one pressing, but I guess you can never be sure...

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Stefan: I'll post an EAC report shortly.
    Dan C and others: Sorry. (He asked.) :shrug:

5. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

don't be sorry, really a new vinyl reissue thread should be started, this thread has become a great resource and many are learning AND hearing a lot of great things in here.

Best to have a NEW VINYL capitol thread started. this is a way more informative discussion than about those vinyls IMHO...and after hearing the vinyl samples, well...I've saved myself about $60 is how i see it...:sigh:...:winkgrin:

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Note: In October, 2009, member Randy9700 started an excellent, informative thread (see here) about the new 180 gram Capitol reissues of three titles: IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS, COME FLY WITH ME, AND COME DANCE WITH ME! This thread started to wander in all different directions of sound quality discussion, eventually (almost completely at times) ignoring its original topic. Problem was: For anybody wanting to learn specifically about the three reissue titles, it became virtually impossible at times to wade through the waters and find that specific discussion within the broader discussion

The thread you are reading now is intended as a place to discuss sound quality on Capitol Sinatra releases OTHER THAN the three titles listed above. The posts prior to this one are ones that were pulled from that original thread because they did not discuss those three titles.

For discussion on the three titles that have been released on Capitol LP, please go to Randy9700's original thread. Click here.

Lets continue the Sinatra / Capitol sound quality discussion. If you comments are primarily about the three titles in the new reissue series, go to that other thread. For general discussion and other titles, this is an appropriate home.

Matt

7. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

It's like we bought the apartment next door and expanded...better than ever!!!

:righton:

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I've sent Stefan (shicorp) the EAC report for the original Larry Walsh CD of SFYL/SE by PM. I'm not going to post it here, unless someone else asks for it.

It really doesn't prove much, other than that the discs are different. We knew that anyway, because the album order is different. Stefan's report above shows that the peak level for his entire MFP disc is 98.9%. The peak level of my Walsh disc is 100.0%. It might have been more meaningful if Stefan had ripped to separate tracks, so that we could compare individual track peak levels. None of the track checksums match, even accounting for the reversed order.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the EMI/MFP CD is not based on the Larry Walsh digital masters, but I've not yet seen enough evidence to determine that convincingly. We need some listening samples from both discs for one of Matt's blindfold tests.

9. MLutthans

As far as the SFYL/SE (or SE/SFYL) stuff goes, I think that after we finish the comparison pages stuff in "that other thread," and finish looking at A JOLLY CHRISTMAS here (in time for said holiday), we can start cruising through sound comparisons of Sinatra's Capitol releases, and going in chronological order just seems logical, so we'll reach these two albums, with actual SOUND to compare, very soon.

Matt

10. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Off the top of my head, the following individually released CDs have been praised as superior to the discs included on the UK "Capitol Years" box:

SE/SYL (87 Capitol or present EMI)

Swingin Lovers (87 Capitol)

A Swingin Affair (91 Capitol)

Where Are You? (91 Capitol)

Only the Lonely (87 Capitol Stereo)

Only the Lonely (09 MoFi Mono)

Come Dance (EOTC Norberg)

Nice & Easy (09 MoFi)

Am I missing anything? Thanks!

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Somewhere, Frank is reading this thread and saying, "*#$@^!"

Evan

12. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Matt, your hard work in keeping the threads in line and posting samples is very much appreciated.

I havent commented much, but i am listening to them and am enjoying the shootouts.

Personally, I think this could shape up to be one of the best Sinatra threads ever.

13. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

I agree! This may put to rest once and for all where to go to get the best sounding Sinatra records and CDs. If that happens this will become invaluable.

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks for the list. Perhaps someone could add the CD catalogue numbers.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Good moderating :righton:

16. MLutthans

You know what they say: Everything in moderation! :help:

17. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Many thanks for taking the time to split the threads properly up, Matt. These discussions are getting increasingly interesting.

Also, many thanks to Bob for taking the time and effort to rip his CD of SFYL/SE. Now I'm really astonished. It seems that EMI in the UK did their own mastering of this album (not only are the checksums different, but also the timing of the tracks). I don't know what to say about this. It may very well be that this also applies for other titles in the series. I think Matt's idea with discussing every release chronologically is really great. I will then offer the EAC logs for the UK titles I have (I have all but the rarer pressings like "Close To You", "Swingin' Session!!!" and "Tone Poems"). I'm pretty sure that we are in for a surprise with the "A Jolly Christmas" releases since I think I have a half dozen of those (and I don't even have the latest incarnation)...

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

When I have a chance, I'll post a complete list here. In the meantime, you can find most of them in this post at the Sinatra Family Forum: Compact Disc Release Dates.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks very much :righton:

20. MLutthans

Off topic: J.A.W.: Congrats on 5000 posts!

Matt

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks, but I don't care much for post counts.

22. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Absolutely :righton:

23. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

If you want play copies of these just buy a $3 gray label. It doesn't have to be mint or even "excellent" or "VG++". You'll have the sound of FRANK, the orchestra and the CAPITOL engineers of the 50s coming into your room...Plus, you don't feel like you've been "burned" even if it's a dud. The more money I spend, the more worried I get! :)

24. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

For me the Larry Walsh CD Swing Easy /Songs for Young Lovers is a more
    enjoyable listen than the UK CD Box versions. I also slightly prefer the Walsh CD of Swingin Affair as well.
    The UK CD Box version is more detailed, but the Walsh version is smoother. Just my two cents.

25. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Gary, I find the Larry Walsh Swingin' Affair very pale. The UK and an 'unofficial' disc for that title has far more punch and presence for me.