Sinatra / Capitol: General Purpose Sound Quality (and more) Discussion Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 10, 2009.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Another lousy reversed photo!!!!!

2. teag

teag Forum Resident

That could be said for many, many of Sinatra’s albums.

3. Matheus Bezerra de Lima

Matheus Bezerra de Lima Forum Resident

Like In The Wee Small Hours and Songs For Swingin' Lovers

teag likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Perhaps because Come Fly with Me had a 180g vinyl release by UMe in 2014 (as well as a “From the Capitol Vaults” release by EMI in 2009). Both of those were mono reissues; a stereo version would be problematic because of the well-known microphone distortion problem at one of the sessions.

Only the Lonely was overdue: Its last vinyl release was the limited edition MFSL mono in 2008. Before that, no LP issues in the USA since 1980.

roda12, CBackley, teag and 4 others like this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks Bob F. I have the cd of Come Fly With Me in the black coloured Capitol albums box from 1998 (I think). My vinyl is an old copy bought in the 80s and I am not sure if I bought it new or second hand. Would folk recommend the UMe 2014 pressing. UMe have done a few titles on vinyl and I must say they look tempting.

Just checked the excellent Capitol Scorecard and the UMe vinyl is mono and is top choice for mono so I shall get one in before the holiday season goes into overdrive.

CBackley and Bob F like this.
  6. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Get the Ume Come fly with me! You won't regret it. Beautiful release. My go to version (IMHO, of course)

7. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

The UMe reissue was one of the first Sinatra items I bought. I was so impressed by the sound quality (and the music, of course) that it helped to fuel my subsequent insane habit.

roda12 and paulmock like this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I still haven’t been able to find a relatively quiet copy of the latest reissue of In The Wee Small Hours. I’ve gone through 4 copies. All are “ticky” in places. I’m waving the white flag.

The mastering is fine, unfortunately, I can’t find a quiet copy. In fact, I’ve haven’t had a lot of luck with this entire series of reissues. Records pressed off center, noise issues, etc. I group Record Industry with MPO, a 2nd tier plant. They’re capable of pressing really good records, but I never have much luck with them.

Then again RTI and QRP can be the same way. Ugh.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    FashionBoy and teag like this.
  9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Try your MFSL silver box version. Great vinyl and sounds very good. Some say the Ume sounds better but to me they are about equal.

GyroSE and Tommyboy like this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks! Will do.

teag likes this.
  11. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

If this habit is insane, what does that make Sinatra himself?
    He listened to a LOT of records too, you know, and I mean A LOT.

teag and CBackley like this.
  12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

He probably had more discretionary income than I do.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Plus, one can say it was “job related”.

teag and Richard--W like this.
  14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

That excuse only works when you're really young and just starting out on the career.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Whatever. I took a shot at it.

Richard--W likes this.
  16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I see on eBay that a collector has apparently "broken up" his Silver Box set and is selling individual LP's. The good ones won't last long... (NOTE: I am not now nor have ever been a seller on eBay.)

CBackley likes this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They were all good. Too bad Mofi made such poor jackets.

CBackley likes this.
  18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yeah, those silver box jackets are screwy!

19. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

A nice collection just brought into a Jersey record store.

hodgo likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The best line was when the older guy mumbled knowingly, after the lady said "Frank had 17 very good years...",

"He had more than that!"

But then later on he said he liked the Sex Pistols.

As they looked at the water damaged vinyl and the lady said "Stuff happens", I said to myself "especially when you leave your records on the damp basement floor or in a cold garage."

CBackley, Andre Acvedo and hodgo like this.
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This makes me so sad. I have to add language to my will about how NOT to treat my collection when I’m gone.

CBackley, hodgo and Andre Acvedo like this.
  22. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

The U.K. pressing, the mono one with the odd cover, Harry Moss (I think) mastering, HRM in the deadwax is very good. It's the one I find myself reaching for when I want to play this record. Or a D stamper original :)

Tommyboy likes this.
  23. Andre Acvedo

Yeah I admit they are a bit clueless, but it's record store that has received the stuff. I wouldn’t touch the water damaged stuff. I have all his Capitol and Reprise albums on vinyl but those shrinked albums look tasty to me. Hard to obtain shrinked albums here unless you import from USA via discogs.

24. Andre Acvedo

I think it's a result of the CD age and then people shoved their old albums in the garage or attic. A shame indeed.

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It’s not just the condition of the LPs. It’s seeing such treasures tossed in bulk into boxes to be handled and sold by clueless people. Anyone who thinks the Reprise leather trunk contains 45s should not be touching this (my) stuff.

kennyluc1, Richard--W, TimH and 5 others like this.