Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "A Swingin' Affair" - 1957

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

In the case of CLOSE TO YOU, that would not be a bad source choice at all, as MFSL used the original (and damaged [in places]) tapes, but for Swingin' Affair? The wrong, reverbed tapes were used by MFSL. Not very good at all.

Matt

PS: A couple of years ago, I did my own very careful "needledrop" (hate that term) of the MFSL "Close to You" vinyl, splicing in the damaged bits from other sources, and it's the best sounding version of that album in existence, IMO. Of course, I'm biased, and YMMV, as they say! :) To each his own...

2. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Repeated from the Jolly Christmas thread:

I'll take the gray label Jolly Christmas off my wish list and concentrate on the gray label Swingin' Affair, which I've never heard at any length.

Is the Walsh Swingin' Affair CD no-noised like the tracks on the Capitol 3 CD set?

3. MLutthans

Not that I noticed, but MMM is the golden-eared one when it comes to that stuff.

As far as vinyl goes, a bunch of people sent along clips of their early pressings, and I thought they all sounded fine, and I thought the 1984 Dell edition was just as good.

My comments from the site:
    Matt

PS - Don't be scared by that "just a hair on the thin sounding side" comment. It still sounds very, very good, as we're talking small degrees of difference here.

4. rangerjohn

Thanks Matt! I should have re-read your analysis (I only have your scorecard committed to memory....).

It sounds like I'm not that bad off with the CD in the EMI UK box as a go-to version.

5. rangerjohn

P.S. Of course, I'm still curious about the quality of the Swingin' Affair tracks on the 2CD UK Avid set that Sean mentioned. Anyone have any details/opinions?

6. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Curious. What source did you use to replace the damaged areas?

7. MLutthans

On CLOSE TO YOU, I used the 1984 Dell LP to fill the little gaps where there were dropouts on the MFSL. I think I only had to replace a grand total of something like 8 seconds over 3 different songs, so it was pretty minimal stuff, and all during instrumental passages, not on FS vocals. The 1984 Dell LP and that oddball 1983 French release that says DUOPHONIC but is really mono both sound very nice on their own.

As with all this stuff, it's strictly "my opinion." I know, for instance, that MMM would pick other versions over the MFSL, and I totally respect his views.

Matt

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The Walsh CD does not have any noise reduction. The tapes were obviously played back in stereo, but actually sound worse if you try and fold down the channels. If you're not going to futz with it, just play it back straight. If you are, either pick a channel or (even better), if you have a mid-side decoder, choose the middle. Even using the mid component only, you may find (as I do) that you have to "focus" the balance with it a bit before doing that to get the best transfer out of it.

9. rangerjohn

Thanks Martin. Sounds like the path of least resistance is the CD from the UK box set (unless the Avid release turns out to be something special like the MFP SFYL/SE).

10. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I've just encountered a Capitol gray label mono LP with a nice side one. The matrices end with D6 and what looks like a #3. Not dull like all other copies I've heard. It came from a forum member and looks barely played. Amazingly, there's one tiny spindle mark on the side one label only. Comparing it to my N1 side one copy, it reveals that the New York cutting is probably from a tape copy. The N1 has a weaker, grainier sound, and there are tape artifacts like vibrato.

The D6 side one has good vibrancy, it's not too dark or muddy, and there's some healthy bass. The voice and orchestra were sure cooking on these sessions! This side one is still not quite in the league of the MMM endorsed D16 side two cutting, but that would be hard to beat.

Has anyone else heard the D6 side one? Are there any other cuttings that are even better sounding?

11. MLutthans

There was no D6 clip posted on my site for this album, but there were D5, D7, and D11 clips, with this comment:

I would not be surprised that a D6 sounds excellent!

Further yada yada from my site, referencing a D5 copy as a slight standout between the D5, D7, and D11:

Matt

12. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Cool, thanks!

13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I recently came across both a Scranton "D1" and "D7". The D1 sounds really good. But what truly floored me is that the D7 is (to my ears) much better sounding! Warm, rich sounds all around. I especially noticed the trombone (Milt?) on "I've Got it Bad" that plays quietly around the vocal to stand out rather clearly on the D7.

Both are truly treasures!:righton:

14. Ian Bradley

Ian Bradley Forum Resident

I don't think Milt Bernhard was on these sessions, Paul. If it's a valve trombone (I'd give it a listen but likely can't tell the difference!) playing, it's likely Juan Tizol. I'd hope so - there's a nice sort of poetic symmetry there as he would have been on the original Ellington recording fifteen years or so earlier (And maybe had a hand in composing the tune? One never knows with dear old Edward...)

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Ian,

Turns out we're both wrong. Session notes state the trombonists that evening were:

George Arus, Dick Noel, Ed Kusby with George Roberts on bass trombone

16. Ian Bradley

Ian Bradley Forum Resident

Oh, dear. Nascimento Silva claims Tizol was there:

Dick Nash, Tommy Pederson, Tizol, Roberts.

Mind you, the line up you quote Silva does list a week earlier - 20 November, 1956.

Dashed business, this discographising!

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

:D There were six sessions for A SWINGIN' AFFAIR, with different trombonists at each session.

"I Got It Bad" was recorded November 28, 1956, and the trombonists that evening were as Ian just listed: Dick Nash, Tommy Pederson, Juan Tizol (valve trombone), and George Roberts (bass trombone). Tizol was the featured trombonist on that particular track.

18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Maybe it's me. I may have read the wrong session. No biggie. Thanks.

19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I'm away from the source. Was "I Got it Bad" perhaps tried at an earlier session (or two) and scrapped?

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There was such a "kick start" session (November 8, 1956), but "I Got It Bad" was not attempted at that one (or any other besides the one I indicated, on November 28).

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

DUH! You wanna know what an idiot I am? I'm discussing "I Got It Bad..." and here I am referencing "I Got Plenty of Nuthin'"!!!! Some brainiac am I, huh? :help:

Of course, you fine gentlemen are correct. :righton:

22. MLutthans

Member "sotosound" shared some clips from his Avid set (pictured below), and I can report back that the Avid version, while dynamic and tonally-okay, uses the "reverbed tapes" (or copies thereof) from the early 60s for this album. Want a good CD of this title? I'd still say the 1991 Walsh mastering is the one to get.

Matt

Attached Files:

23. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

I own both the Larry Walsh as well as the UK 21cd box set albums and although both discs are not winners soundwise, I clearly prefer the latter; the Walsh version has less detail and the imaging of Frank's voice is not as nice when compared with other mono's as Songs for Swingin' Lovers! and A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra. And although the UK version has more echo, the bass extension and level of detail in the percusion are better.

With Songs for Swingin' Lovers! it's the opposite and I prefer the Walsh version which I think uses different tapes.

24. MLutthans

It strikes me that this album and "No One Cares" are albums where virtually all the releases (except Norberg) are quite good, and which is "best" is really a matter of personal preference. (I know that that's always the case, but the differences here are more subtle than on some titles.) I wouldn't kick either of those CDs (Walsh, UK box) out of bed for eating crackers, as they say.

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  25. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Matt. The imaging on Avid release is more focused IMO and less phasey for Swingin' Affair on my system anyhow. I thought it sounded more detailed as well without any weird high frequency eq. I want to go back a listen again, since it's been awhile, But I remember clearly choosing it over the Walsh CD which I enjoyed for a long time. Also There was less evidence of grain on Close To You than on the UK 21CD Box Set.

The Avid set is enjoyable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.