Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - Come Dance with Me (released 1959)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Nov 15, 2009.

1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It was likely used for as long as the metal parts held out. The first stereo LP I ever bought of this album was an ST prefix copy, and IIRC mine is from around 1967, give or take a year. It was a D something cut from that lousy first mix on side one, while side two has the great sounding N14 cut from the second (improved) mix.

MLutthans likes this.
  2. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Finally got around to pulling out my N2/N9 "12:00 Rainbow" stereo copy.

Side 1: N2 Italic Font - Defective Mix
    Side 2: N9 Sans Serif Font - Revised Mix

I'd never noticed the difference until now.

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  3. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I'm very happy with my Dell 1985 UK pressing apart from the fact that 'Saturday Night'
    has the left channel panned left centre which is annoying, interesting also that
    this has been mentioned on the new Universal pressing as well.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Could you (or someone) put up a sample of "Saturday Night" from the Dell LP? I'm curious to hear if this exactly matches what's on the hi-res download from that standpoint.

5. mikrt17

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    MMM likes this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

They match, yes. Nice catch, @mikrt17 and @MMM !

7. MLutthans

MMM likes this.
  8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Wild...wonder when that futzed with "Saturday Night" first happened, what tapes were pulled now, etc.

MLutthans likes this.
  9. mikrt17

The Dell CD has the correct panning so it's obvious that different tapes were used for the CD

Simon A likes this.
  10. MLutthans

Yep. Very odd.

11. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

A year later, this seems like as good a time as any to repeat my plea for a Sinatra Session Photography Thread. I'm looking at you, @Bob F. :winkgrin:

Simon A and Bob F like this.
  12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's what I get for linking to old posts! ;) I'll try to move it nearer the top of my very large collection of round tuits.

[​IMG]

Simon A and Bob Belvedere like this.
  13. So is there any consensus that the UK 1984 Dell LP is one of the "key" vinyl releases to get for this album in stereo? I know Matt appears to like it but the links to his scorecard in this thread appear to be defunct (or at least I can't access any of those pages now). What is the best source for the mono?

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

15. Thanks, Bob! I've got an opportunity to pick up a reasonably priced UK Dell LP of this in (apparently) unplayed condition. I'd better get this before the seller changes his mind!

16. MLutthans

Steve, if there's an old/dead link posted in a thread, here, please send me a message, and I'll get it fixed. (I try to catch those, but I know there are still some old ones that I've missed.)

I think the Dell is an excellent choice for stereo on this one. Worth grabbing, IMO.

Simon A and mikrt17 like this.
  17. Thanks Matt. Is the MONO Dutch DMM from 84 as good?

18. What about the 180g UMe stereo pressing from 2010? The seller of the '84 is being difficult so I might have to scrap that thought for a while.

Oh, scrub that question: I see the 2010 is from "Waxtime" and not UMe!!!!! :(

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Get a "SM" prefix U.S. '70's reissue. Best overall for stereo, IMO.

20. MLutthans

I haven't spent any time with it yet, but I can assure you it'll be limiter-free, unlike any vintage pressing you'll ever find. IIRC, the 1997(?) UK mono LP was pretty nice, too, and with similarly wide dynamics.
    There is a 2009 official release, but the stereo is somewhat narrowed, with pretty blah sound.

As @MMM said, that 1970s US cut is probably the best, but the UK LP that you were asking about is excellent, as well, and "worth grabbing," definitely.

(This is far from the best recording in the Sinatra/Capitol series, so finding really top-notch releases is tricky.)

Simon A likes this.
  21. Thanks again, Matt.

As the seller of the 1984 Dell Stereo has disappeared when I questioned if the "mint" LP was in fact a perfect unplayed copy, I'm tending to think it is yet another example of an online seller grossly inflating the grading. He was going to get back to me "once he'd had an opportunity to have a close look at the vinyl"! How can anyone categorically grade an Lp that they admit they have never even looked at? :realmad: Needless to say he hasn't got back to me as promised - no doubt he's too embarrassed to admit about the scratches and dirt on this "mint" LP. I won't be buying it anyway so the options are narrowing again. I'm debating whether to pick up the UK mono.

Do you happen to know what the catalogue number of the UK / Europe Mono reissue from 1999 should be?

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The Millenium Edition (UK mono 180G LP) is 7243 4 99467 1 2

Simon A, MLutthans and SteveM like this.
  23. Thank you very much! I've seen copies listed for sale with different catalogue numbers but I do recognise that number so I can now at least identify those sellers who do have the correct Lp from those who are listing something else altogether!

MMM likes this.
  24. I've just ordered a Millenium Edition UK Mono from Discogs. It's supposed to be a near mint copy so we'll have to see. Thanks again to Martin and Matt for your help. I will let you guys know what I think when it arrives.

I gave up on the UK 84 Dell - I could only find the one copy advertised currently in a minimum condition that I could accept. However the seller promised to get back to me once he'd checked the LP for me. He never has done which to my mind means only one thing: it wasn't "mint" when he truthfully examined it properly.

I'll keep an open mind in the future and if I see a copy in the flesh I'll pick it up. I might have to pick up the new Universal stereo LP in August as well. What was the overall impression of the HD download from those of you who have got it?

MMM likes this.
  25. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Does anyone have - or can point me to - a good quality version of the photo used for the Come Dance With Me cover? That is, just FAS without the text & graphics? Thanks.