Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - Come Dance with Me (released 1959)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I have a mono 12 o' clock CDWM that seems to sonically match your 9 o'clock pretty closely which has:

Side 1-W1 1069 N7
    Side 2-W2 1069 T4

Can anyone explain the difference between the 'T' & 'N' designation?

2. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

The first atrocious one is from the clip I sent.

I should point out, since it's getting so scrutinized, that my particular copy has side one sonically matching the title track. Side two is 'wet' across the channels, not matching side one.

Side 1-SW-1-1O69-N-2 (Harder to read 'scrolly' stamp)
    Side 2-SW-2-1069-N 10 (Very neat and legible machine stamp.)

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

the CD samples are very interesting..I've listened to the Walsh remix from the 3 cd set and never realized the swapped channels before, so good catch that one. When the third sample, wow, its like we get sucked into a black hole, just so odd, someone did that with the tapes and thought "PERFECT". I am easier to please than most and all three of those cd copies are listenable for me. I think remix 2 with the channels swapped is my fave but with my cheap headphones jacked into my laptop, might change that on my system. i have the 3 disc set so i'm going to hit the stereo with that and the UK and I might have a dub of the original Walsh cd as well. I'm also the proud owner of that Norberg box...so yeah, i have all four of these cds' to play around with later.

thinking i'm digging the MOFI for the stereo mix on this one...another realization is I am no longer in love with my mono needledrop I was so chuffed about not so long ago...:laugh:

it's all Matt's fault...:agree:

4. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I sure wish I knew who makes up the crack rhythm section on CDWM, though at least I'm sure it's the great Alvin Stoller on drums.

I want someone to remix this album from the 3 track with no reverb.
    That's something that the Norberg version has going for it. It sounds the dryest of the CD versions.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

It was Stoller on two of the three sessions. You can hear Shelley Manne hot-dogging all over the hi-hat on "The Song is You" -- VERY un-Stoller-ish!

I can get the rhythm section info for you, unless Bob F beats me to it. :)

Matt

6. MLutthans

I pretty much agree. They all have their pros and cons. Same with at least three of the LP versions, too, IMO.

Matt

PS - I'll try to post a "winners page" later tonight, but it's going to be a "winner by a hair" situation, I think.

7. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

On which day was the Manne session?

The issued 'Song Is You' from 12-9-58 was also when 'Something's Gotta Give' & Just In Time were recorded.
    Back in September of '58 there was another session that produced an unused 'Just In Time' and 'Song Is You.'

All the takes that made the album are from December 9/22/23 of 1958.

I could accept that Manne plays on 'Song' but a tune like 'Somethings Gotta...' sure sounds Stollerish.

8. MLutthans

Below is the liner from MFSL 1-138. (And I see it's Irv Cottler, not Alvin Stoller on the other dates, which I did not realize.)

Also, I've posted a sample from a 10" IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS at the bottom of this "samples page."

Matt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  9. serge

serge Forum Resident Thread Starter

So much for all the Stoller talk? :)

10. MLutthans

Another good belief trumped by factual data. Dang it!

Matt

11. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Thanks, someone ought to page Will Friedwald and give him the news as well. Because Stoller gets a big nod for his contribution to CDWM in the book 'The Song Is You.'

And we all know MFSL never makes a mistake right?;) :)

Those aren't actual session sheets they reproduced on that sleeve.

12. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

From listening to these clips I don't really hear the drastic difference in mic placement in the stereo mix vs the mono.

I have always found the mono LPs to have too much echo, but that last clip sounds much drier than No 7 or my own mono LP. Clip 10 also has a warmer and more balanced sound than clip 7.

13. MLutthans

Regarding COME DANCE WITH ME:

That's the same conclusion I drew, and I posted about it in some detail in my online novel, War and Peace II. If you are brave, you might consider tackling it.

14. MLutthans

Slight revision: I'm not sure that the two mic setups are fully equal, but I am convinced that it's more than a 3-mic recording on the stereo version. It is clearly multi-miked.

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There are other such inaccuracies in Friedwald's book. The MoFi sleeve notes agree with the actual session sheets. They list Shelly Manne on the released versions of "The Song Is You."

("Versions" plural, because there was an alternate take, in a slower tempo, which was issued on the British LP, The Rare Sinatra, also contained in the UK 21-CD box set.)

16. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

18. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Thanks for posting, mine is D1/D12, I'll have to compare when I get some time.

19. MLutthans

I've completed the "Winners Page" for COME DANCE WITH ME on page four of this site.

On cable news, at least, controversy = heated discussion! Have a listen and let me know what you think.

Matt

20. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I was wondering how itunes allows you to fold to mono, never heard that before?

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Come Dance With Me mic-ing

Matt, I believe the band on this album was still recorded with a mimial mic setup for the stereo version. If anything, the stereo mics might have been relatively closer to the musicians here than on past Sinatra/Capitols recorded in stereo. This song only had 19 musicians on it. All the previous stereo sessions had larger ensembles to record. Something like ONLY LONELY had about 55 people playing. So, this relatively smaller group didn't need to be spread out so much in the studio and likely got tighter mic-ing to get a decent balance and image on it.

While the stereo vs. mono differences here aren't as drastic as ONLY THE LONELY (which almost sounds like two different albums), in comparison I find the mono to be more detailed. The bass on the mono has more of a sense of its strings being pulled/plucked, the drums/cymbals are more detailed and upfront, the horns are more direct, etc. The stereo has a bit more distance/space between the horns and mics, the drums are relatively more delicate, and so on.

I think the closest you're going to get to judging the mic-ing of what was sent to the 3 tracks (to compare to the mono) so far is to play "Saturday Night" and "Come Dance With Me" off THE CAPITOL YEARS set that Ron Furmanek produced ("The Song Is You" & "Just In Time" on there are the Walsh '87 mixes). It has the rawest (a compliment here), purest sound of any stereo mix of this material issued so far, and is therefore closest to the 3 track sound. All the other mixes are futzed with more in some way. Just reverse the channels...

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I should add that even though the "replacement" vintage mix seems to have been put into circulation circa '62, there were still some metal parts cut from stereo mix #1 in use on pressings for many years. I have a copy from around '67, with the ST prefix, that has mix #1 on side one, and mix #2 on side 2.

23. MLutthans

I believe this is the case with greg1954's copy, as well.

Matt

24. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Except mine has a SW prefix.

25. MLutthans

Regarding COME DANCE WITH ME, and specifically this insanely rambling page [2016 edit: Dead link removed] and MMM's comments, reprinted further down in this post:

Martin, my wonderful compadre in critical listening, I thank you for sharing your thoughts on this issue! Having said that, for perhaps the first time ever, I have to respectfully disagree. Some details, and forgive me if I ramble a bit:

1. In the brass track of the stereo recording, there is virtually zero leakage of saxes and rhythm into the brass mic(s). It has brass to the fore, and a little whisper of leakage. This supports the premise that the instruments are miked closer than on ONLY THE LONELY. (So far we're in agreement.) It also virtually mandates that the microphone is a cardioid (directional) mic (U47?), and that the other instruments (saxes/rhythm) were at considerable distance from the mic compared to how close to the mic the brass were.
    2. It's certainly possible that more than one directional mic was used on the brass for mono, so we're not in disagreement there.
    3. Over on the saxes/rhythm track, brass leakage is all over the place, strongly so. That has to be sourced from somewhere. What's the source? I find it hard to believe that any engineer worth his salt would have said, "We're recording a big band with two mics today, and let's use an omni mic on the quiet half of the band [the sax half] and a cardioid on the other half [brass]." Crazier things have happened, I suppose, but I'd be really surprised if that were the case here. So, where does the leakage come from? Under my scenario (RCA 44 on the saxes, sitting in a circle, Altec 21b on the drums, and mics on guitar, piano, and bass), I see two possibilities, one likely, one less so. The likely one, to me, is that an omni mic was used above the drums (such as is pictured on the SWINGIN' SESSION album cover of one year later in the same studio). Omnis (more or less) do not reject sound from any given direction. If the sound is there, it comes through. If the drums were between the saxes and brass -- very likely -- then they sat right in the "soundfield" of the brass section. That, to me, is the sound that is heard. The less likely option: The saxes used a figure 8 mic, and one of the two axes of sensitivity faced the brass, but I don't think this is the case, as the sax sound is close and clear enough that the gain would have been fairly low on that mic, meaning the amount of leakage would have been naturally attenuated. I'm about 95% sure that the heavy leakage is sourced on the drum kit. Point being: The leakage is being produced by something, and a single cardioid mic being used on the saxes to match the single (definitely) cardioid on the brass would not be a good candidate.

Some additional thoughts in reference to your thoughts:

To my way of thinking, there is no imaging on this album. Is there imaging on this album any more than there is imaging on WITH THE BEATLES? Not much. Here, we have all these guys way over there in one channel (brass), and all those guys way over there (the saxes and rhythm). To a fairly large degree, the brass do "leak" over into the other side; the opposite is not true.

In terms of spacing, I would not be surprised if the players were spaced farther apart on Come Dance than on OTL. From a technical standpoint, if there is one section (brass) that is going to be playing obscenely loud on large chunks of 11 or the 12 songs, and I want any degree of control over the balance in the mix, and everybody is playing together in the same room, I need to place the brass at some distance away from the other sections. They need to be close enough that everybody can still hear each other, but they can't be in each other's laps, either. Considering how little leakage there is on the brass mics, I suspect the separation (in terms of physical space) was fairly pronounced.

Supposing for a moment that the same rhythm section mics were feeding both control rooms (as I believe), there is no reason to assume that they would be utilized in anything close to the same levels/proportions, which could certainly account for the clearer sound that you are hearing on the mono mix. It's also very possible, as I have suggested, that the mono section may use more mics or different mics on any given section(s), and the number one candidate for significantly-different miking would be the brass, IMO. I'm quite confident that the saxes are seated very close to each other and playing into a single mic -- but I could be wrong.

I have posted some samples from the Walsh 1990 remix of COME DANCE WITH ME, along with two from the UK CD of THE LAST DANCE here in order to (attempt to) illustrate further what I am hearing. The clip consists of 4 brief items that will probably require multiple listenings. Specific directions as to "what you are listening to/for" are also on that page.

As always: Have a listen, and let me know what you think!

Thanks,
    Matt

PS - there's also the COME DANCE WITH ME 'winners page' here.