Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Take a look at ON THE TOWN, if you haven't. It puts Frank back in a sailor suit with Gene Kelly, and I think is the better movie.

2. In an odd bit of fate with this thread, I came across a mint copy of the Walsh CD this weekend, after only listening to this album via the newer Norberg CD for years. The Walsh sounds great to me.

Ere likes this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

4. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

My Scranton-pressed gray label is D10/N13. Both sides are stamped. Looking through other posts, the stampers were pretty well mixed up between Hollywood and Scranton.

5. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Wondering if the early mono pressings of this were cut at the same groove width as the stereo pressings?
    I have a 3 mil stylus that works great on micro-groove-era pressings, or should I just play this my regular 7 mil stylus?

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

3 mil styli are for 78 RPM discs only, will damage microgroove LP discs. Mono even. 1 mil is the accepted tip radius for pre 1968 mono LP use. .7 mil is fine for most mono and stereo discs ever made provided it is vertically compliant.

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Some people get good results using a 1 mil stylus with true mono cut microgroove records. I've never tried one myself. However, I'd imagine this would only be good with records that don't have noticeable wear in the area of the groove the 1 mil hits. Also, I have my doubts about the tracing ability of these vs. hyper ellipticals, Microridges/lines, etc. Even going from the original Microridge in my Shure V15 VxMR to a Jico SAS generally got me past even more old wear from previous owners in these vintage Capitols.

8. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Thanks, I misremembered... it is a 1 mil stylus I meant to consider. This title is later than the microgroove era for mono, correct?

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

We're still in the microgroove era for records! :)

Maybe you're thinking of standard groove (for 78's)?

10. MLutthans

I've got a bunch of new stuff posted on a "conclusions" page, here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1958_-_Come_Fly_with_Me_three.html

•mono/stereo vocal tone comparisons
    •Jukebox "Little LP" clip
    •"Winners" comparisons

All clips conform to the iTunes samples already available. As always, comments/corrections are welcome, and if anybody has some sample clips that differ from what's posted, please converse with me. :)

I'm going with the MFSL stereo LP and the Walsh CD as the "winners," but please have a listen to the clips and comment/share.

Matt

11. MLutthans

^^^Afternoon bump.

12. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Wonderful work, Matt. You're starting to wear me down regarding the mono version. Did I miss it, or is there an analysis on the webpage of the mono acetate that you mentioned previously? Those mini LPs are adorable!

Speaking of missing things: I almost missed your post today due to the wonky and ponderous new search function on this site......

13. MLutthans

The mono clips are on the lead page of that site, here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1958_-_Come_Fly_with_Me.html

14. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Oh, that's great, Matt. Thanks. Somehow I got caught up in the old versions of the pages and only saw the new page containing your mono/stereo vocal tone comparisons.

This comparison os the mono pressings is very thorough, and, yes, the acetate, alas, doesn't sound any different than the other samples. A Pity.

But the Dell does indeed seem to give the MFSL a run for the money among the stereo versions. Just based on this clip I may prefer it to the Walsh remix.

Thanks again for the hard work.

(Oh, and I LOVE the larger image of the Clooney-Crosby album!)

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've never played the actual stereo LP of this. How did they handle the over-the-top distortion on AROUND THE WORLD in the string break?

16. MLutthans

As well as could be expected, I think, but there's some definite crunch. (I'll get a clip posted later.) IMO, the stereo LPs on this title are almost all of poor quality. A little better in the '70s; better still in the 80s; Not much quality in the earlier pressings, from what I've heard.

Stereo samples (not AROUND THE WORLD yet) here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1958_-_Come_Fly_with_Me_Stereo.html

McLover likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yikes, all of the music was mixed OUT OF PHASE! Geez.

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

They seemed to have gotten cheap on the stereo jukebox version of this album. I have some of these for Frank's last three Capitol albums, and they all have one song per side and sound pretty nice from what I remember. Then there's the THIS IS SINATRA Duophonic one I have, with three (!) songs per side. That one sounds as bad as you'd imagine.

19. MLutthans

I believe THIS IS SINATRA was in the very first batch of "Little LPs." (EDIT): In fact, here's a blurb from April 1966 in Billboard:
    Screen shot 2013-01-11 at 8.36.34 PM.jpg
    Within a year, there were 5 Sinatra titles:
    Screen shot 2013-01-11 at 8.40.30 PM.jpg

20. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Walsh for the win, stereo wise. Still prefer the mono.

MLutthans likes this.
  21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

All my copies of the last three Sinatra/Capitol albums on 7" stereo 33 1/3 singles have an "X" prefix, instead of SU. Maybe there were two series of these? My THIS IS SINATRA is a DU prefix...

That copy of COME FLY you got from Steve L should have come out with the stereo release of the album, given the label.

22. MLutthans

23. MLutthans

You mean the 7", midway down this page? That's what I was thinking, too, but the catalog number appears to have not been used until 1966. Can anybody explain that? :shrug::help:

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

In some ways I prefer the stereo recording (via the Larry Walsh remix) - in other ways I prefer the mono. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. I do agree the mono is "off" on this album - it's sort of overproduced sonically to my ear, which is pretty surprising. Of any time for vintage Capitol recordings back then, I think 1957-58 was kinda hit and miss. I can't think of anything that outright sounds bad, but compared to the pretty much consistently great results they got for many years before and after, it was a relative low point of sorts sonically. It seems like the desire to use more echo on their recordings was dealt with on some sessions (and with different engineers/producers/etc.) better than with others on the "live" monos during this period.

I tend to play some sort of stereo version of this album moreso than a mono, but if the mood strikes I enjoy the mono (even with its faults) as well. I don't like the vintage stereo mix...

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes - the one with a "9 o' clock" black/rainbow label. No way they were producing them like that in 1966, except maybe (I'd guess) to use up leftover labels. My copy of one of the songs from POINT OF NO RETURN even has the newer label design, though IIRC with the special "COMPACT 33" label. I think my THIS IS SINATRA is like that as well.

McLover likes this.