Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

One of his tricks was to not use the distorted track in a "pure" sense but only use the feedback ECHO from the track and fold it in. The low fi of the reverb masked the distortion (which when heard raw will make you run from the damn room it's so bad).

I would have fired whoever the engineer that let that slip by..

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I prefer Larry's, with maybe a decibel taken out at 10k, and maybe a little something to warm up the middle slightly.

3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I don't know if this has ever been posted but there was a weird 9 track promo comp made for United Airlines a few years back. The cover is actually nice but the song selection is very odd.

$T2eC16N,!)8E9s4l6b0KBQmDSO0s3Q~~60_57.JPG

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Come Fly With Us.jpg

The song selection includes both Capitol and Reprise tracks. Most of the songs represnt US cities to which United flies. See the SFF post for more details.

Simon A likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

A bit off-topic (although not entirely, since the Sammy Cahn centennial is discussed), but here's a video link to Frank Jr.'s appearance on New York TV this morning:

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/24039757/frank-sinatra-jr

MMM likes this.
  6. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Has anyone sampled the Wax Time LP release of this album? Is it stereo or mono?

-Robert

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Has anyone ever purchased anything on Wax Time? Matt had asked this earlier somewhere and got no responses. I see them all the time in the bins at Amoeba but won't buy one until I hear some respected reviews.

8. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

10. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

But, who knows... When ran through your Phono system, the sound could be improved upon. Stranger things have happened.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I would not be shocked if that's the case, but in the case of "In the Wee Small Hours," *if* it's cut from a commercial (official/licensed) CD, it would have to be the UK boxed set disc, as the vocal is appropriately dry. As I posted in that album's thread, the tone has some mildly wonky EQ, but aside from that, well, it could sure be a lot worse, I'm sad to say. In many ways, it's superior to the 2009 Capitol reissue of the same title. :yikes:

12. MLutthans

Well, kids, we can close down this thread. The search for the best sounding version of this album is OFFICIALLY over! ;) Ladies and gentlemen, I give you (drum roll, please........)
    THE ARCHIVE MASTER!
    Screen shot 2014-01-11 at 3.26.23 AM.png
    $_57-7.JPG $_57-8.JPG

Does anybody have a copy of this Columbia House (record club) pressing? I'd love to post a sample.

We have six stereo vinyl pressing clips posted here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1958_-_Come_Fly_with_Me_Stereo.html
    ....but no copies of this one, #SM-500920, and although this post is very tongue-in-cheek, I would be delighted to post a clip is somebody has a copy, and hey....in all seriousness, anything is possible, and it could sound great. Open mind, eh?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    aoxomoxoa, GroovinGarrett and bozburn like this.
  13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

He sounds like he's doing something a bit like what Tom Port does. I don't agree with his choice of words in the headlines, etc., though he may be otherwise providing a good service.

For all I know, he may have the best sounding version of the old stereo mix. However, for myself, I don't like that mix, so it could be mastered by (insert your favorite mastering engineer) and it would still only have so much interest to me.

14. MLutthans

....or he could be cramming 20 gallons of hooey into a 10 gallon hat.

Nobody here has a copy of that one?

McLover likes this.
  15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Entirely possibly too! :) I don't know anything about this person, or his reputation.

MLutthans likes this.
  16. MLutthans

OK, I'm going with my answer! Check out his "Archive Master" version of A Swingin' Affair:
    Screen shot 2014-01-22 at 8.26.26 PM.jpg
    $_57yiuehoiafmds.jpg

That's the 12-song (3 songs missing), fake stereo, jumbled-order 1970s Columbia House record club reissue.

From his listing:
    "
    What is an Archive Master Pressing?

They are simply the best sounding version of this record I have found in 25 years of collecting audiophile grade vinyl. They are the Ultimate in Analog Audio Performance. I have sold hundreds of Archive Masters since making them available to the public in December 2012. I have collected them for years for my personal collection. I search through copies of the same record (always different pressings but excellent to near mint examples) to find the best:

-Fidelity: Frequency response from Lowest Bass to the Highest Treble.

-Dynamics: Quietest passages to the loudest passages and how it matches how we hear live sound.

-Staging: Ability to separate instruments and clearly hear every detail of the music.

-Depth: 3 dimensional aspect to the music when played through a high-end 2 channel audio system.

-Quiet Background: Ability to play with no music or soft passages and NOT HEAR clicks, pops, etc.

It will excel in all of the above categories. It should be the best version of this record you have heard.
    "

Sure......

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Based on that, I wonder if he'll be pushing Archive Master Norberg CDs of the album too? ;)

18. MLutthans

We all have our likes and dislikes, and boy, have I ever found a dislike! This was on the radio (KPLU) on the way home today, and it gets my vote for worst-ever serious-effort cover of a Sinatra-associated song:

So bad it made my truck's Little Tree air freshener wilt.

(...and is it me, or is her phrasing for most of the song exactly like circa-1993 James Taylor?)

OldCoder likes this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Notice she says "views" and not "booze" thankfully. That rip off would have really made me vomit! Thanks but I could not go past 25 seconds of it. I am sure there is something even worse out there. Some pathetic soul trying to swing..

OldCoder, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  20. MLutthans

She also changes "rarified" to "rare," which messes up the rhyme.

21. MLutthans

[​IMG]
    Wow! This German Electrola 2-fer LP just showed up 5 minutes ago, and I'm playing the title track right now, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. May give the 1983 MFSL a run for its money in terms of being the best pressing of the stereo LP. Really nice. More to follow as time allows (probably not tonight). It even sounds to me like they did something to tone down the distorted flute on AROUND THE WORLD. This is a fantastically cut LP, at least the first two tracks. All hail!

22. MLutthans

Here are some 30-second clips (all from within the iTunes clips available freely online) from some of the tracks on that German LP: https://app.box.com/s/db3vjzto2rfa7cmzj6si

By the way, the site from which I purchased this LP lists it as a 1976 release. Does anybody know for sure?

Interestingly, the label for this edition of COME FLY WITH ME lists this as ℗1961, which is correct for the stereo mix's release date. Many releases are ℗1958.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    MMM likes this.
  23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

As I said in another thread, I am happy with the Walsh CD of this.

McLover likes this.
  24. MLutthans

Bump for the above-linked awesome audio clip, and to post a much needed photo of the 8-track cartridge:
    $_57-14.JPG

MMM likes this.
  25. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

I have 2 different US releases of the Larry Walsh mastering of Frank Sinatra / Come Fly With Me on CD.
    One CD has a black face with silver lettering and has MASTERED BY EMI MFG. 48469 in the matrix.
    The other CD has a silver face with maroon lettering and has Made in USA - Digital Audio Disc Corp. on clear plastic hub and DIDX 2488 31A2 in the matrix.
    The disc faces are the same except for the colour difference.
    The inserts are the same except for the barcode numbers.
    I would like to know whether the Digital Audio Disc Corp. manufactured CD is the first US release of the Walsh mastered CD and also the relationship between the two in terms of release dates.