Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Downloaded the mono version on iTunes. Doesn't sound awful, but it does sound very thin compared to the recent mono remasters done by MoFi of the Sinatra Capitol era.

CBackley likes this.
  2. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

What's the opinion about the EMI100 reissue from 1997 among you forum members?

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

DLant likes this.
  4. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I must say I think it stand up very good against the competition I've at home- I've the EMI 100, the 1983 Sinatra MFSL box and the dutch DMM released in the '80s. The EMI100 sounds stellar especially when I use the mono button on my ARC PH5. Was the EMI100 remastered using the mono master tapes?

5. MLutthans

@GyroSE - is your COME FLY WITH ME DMM LP stereo or mono? It was issued both ways (and with the same catalog number and same cover art, no less).

6. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've the mono version of the Dutch DMM. This was my first version of this record, I think it's ok soundwise but I prefer both the classic MFSL and the EMI100 over it. Is the DMM stereo version better soundwise?

7. MLutthans

Based on what I've heard, I agree.
    I don't think the Dutch DMM stereo is any better than the stereo MFSL. (I think the Dutch DMM stereo is definitely better than the DMM Dutch mono.) (More blather about it here.)

GyroSE likes this.
  8. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

The mono version is now on Spotify. A very close and focused comparison between the two versions available there makes for a good few hours.

9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Although I have several vinyl copies (and feel that the MFSL is the best), I don't have the Walsh CD - just the Norberg (he said as he ducked). I recently saw what looked like a Walsh (in a picture) but the CD label was purple, or blue. Is this the Walsh CD or some other version? Or is anything that is not the Norberg, with E of the Century on it, the Walsh CD?

10. MLutthans

EOTC is the Norberg CD. @Bob F is the expert on tracking down the original, and has likely already posted the sure-fire steps earlier in this thread, but I'm not sure.

Just looking back over this lengthy thread, I'm finding a few little things that I did not bring up on my website, some of which still seem a little odd to me:

•Come Fly with Me: It's still a mystery as to why some versions have an audible finger-snap (assumedly by Frank) during the second "...angels cheer [snap] 'cause we're together," while other versions are somehow missing that snap. (IIRC, the snap is on all mono versions and most stereo versions.)
    •Isle of Capri: First note is missing on the 1987 stereo CD.
    •Moonlight in Vermont - there's a very cool "fade into the ether" reverb effect at the end of the song in mono that is missing in all stereo versions.
    •London by Night - there's an obvious insert (tape splice) in London by Night's original stereo mix that appears to be undocumented. Whatever the source of that insert is, the 3-track tape must have still existed in 1987, because Larry Walsh completely smoothed out the splice in his 1987 remix. It's audible on the 1998 Norberg CD, and on all (other) versions that use the original mix. (I suppose that it's conceivable that after the 3-track was mixed to stereo something turned up that rubbed somebody the wrong way, and part of the 3-track was remixed and then the resulting stereo segment was spliced into the existing stereo mix tape, but that seems like a long shot.)
    •Brazil: The 1987 CD runs longer on "Brazil"

rangerjohn and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  11. teag

teag Forum Resident

I did see the CD number that Bob put in a much earlier post. I was looking at one for sale online and the label was purple on the disc itself. Definitely not the Norberg. Anyone know if all non-Norberg's are therefore automatically the Walsh master? Or, anyone know if the purple label CD is the Walsh?

12. MLutthans

Outside of boxed CD sets, only two official masterings exist: Walsh and Norberg. If it isn't the Norberg, it's the Walsh.

teag likes this.
  13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thank you Matt. For this, and your fantastic web site!

rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  14. teag

teag Forum Resident

After reading more of this thread and realizing all my copies were stereo, I went out and bought the UME mono LP today. I agree with many others - this one sounds great. Seems to be much more bass than the stereo and a fuller sound. Vocal is presented nicely also. Let's hope Songs for Swinging Lovers follows suit!

15. MLutthans

Definitely more bass, because the bass was miked, yes.
    (The following sentence is sort of part of an ongoing gag/theme that some will "get" here, so please -- nobody take offense at it.) The last thing I want is for the new Songs for Swingin' Lovers to sound like the mono Come Fly with Me!

paulmock likes this.
  16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

HAH! That is exactly what I thought when I read that line! Heaven forbid.

McLover and MLutthans like this.
  17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Dig those crazy marimbas on "Brazil"!!!! They come alive in mono.

MLutthans and bozburn like this.
  18. teag

teag Forum Resident

Why is that? Don't care for the CFWM mono?

19. MLutthans

Paul will likely chime in and answer for himself (and he's more enthusiastic about the mono mix than I am, IIRC), but here's the gist of what's going on:

My views on the mono mix have been beaten into innocent people's* heads (largely via this thread) ad infinitum, and many people don't agree with my overall disliking** of the mono mix, and I'm okay with that. I love the discussion of our assorted opinions, likes, dislikes, etc. There are many, many fans of the mono mix here, and I'm absolutely a fan of certain aspects of it, but I'm more fanny-er of the stereo recording when well presented, which is (admittedly and sadly) not what has typically happened. (There loads of bad stereo editions out there.)

(*people who I like a lot and respect a lot and whose opinions I absolutely respect)
    (**I'll be the first to express that there are some real plusses to the mono mix; in the end, I don't think they outweigh the minuses; YMMV.)

To be totally fair and thorough, my views on the mono/stereo debate are complicated, I do see/hear positives and negatives to both recordings, and I've written a four-page audio novel about it, starting here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1958_-_Come_Fly_with_Me_2.html ....that anybody is welcome to check out.

Opinions aside, I don't think that anybody here has ever denied the fact that there be a whole lotta reverb on Sinatra's vocal on the mono recording of Come Fly with Me. Love it or hate it, it's a severely different recording style than what is on Songs for Swingin' Lovers. Even the oft-derided, "reverb-added" versions of Songs for Swingin' Lovers that hit the market around 1962 don't have as much vocal reverb as the mono recording of Come Fly with Me. The thought of that much reverb being plastered onto Songs for Swingin' Lovers is a scary thought, largely because Swingin' Lovers is such a well-balanced recording "as nature intended."

As I'm sure I've said before, the music on COME FLY WITH ME is so good that it really doesn't matter how you listen to it. Just find a version and enjoy it, because it's a fantastic achievement in music-making, with all involved (except maybe the recording crew) working at the highest levels. :righton:

20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I agree with Matt. (Don't faint, everybody!!!):p But I do think (like Only the Lonely) it is well worth the price of admission to have both a stereo and mono copy in your collection because they are so different. Sometimes I want to hear more of the orchestra within and will play the mono despite the syrupy reverb. Other times I feel like going on the journey with Billy & Mr. S and play the wide-range stereo.

Ain't it grand that we have a choice?

21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Excellent thoughts from you guys. This is a fun thing to do, for sure. It's great to listen and enjoy them all.

22. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

I often wondered why the marimbas were lost in the stereo version. Thank you so much Mr. LUtthans for your efforts and the sharing of your knowledge and opinions on this forum. This is what makes this site such a treat for all of us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Bravo to you sir.

MLutthans and paulmock like this.
  23. MLutthans

Not just me -- a LOT of people contribute knowledge and audio to that site -- but thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it!

McLover likes this.
  24. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

I agree with Matt too.
    Definitely prefer stereo, warts and all, I just can't get into the Mono version, I have tried.
    To this end, I tried searching the thread here for any view on the stereo waxtime LP. I know it's grey label but since I can't get a genuine new stereo lp version except for trying to find mint condition 70s, 80s versions listed on Matt's site, what else can I do?
    I have the Capitol 87 and 98 UK cds in stereo so they are around, I just wish they would try to do a new stereo master and get it sounding better than the 87 cd.
    I know that cd is the best of the stereo bunch but even that is now sounding a bit dated and flat.
    I have tried improving it myself and have a version I'm happy to listen to, but for all my efforts, it doesn't feel the same as going in store and buying a new LP, with word of mouth stating how good it is.

25. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

The missing finger snap is obviously a mastering engineer thinking it was an electrical click and then removed it
    I miss it when it's not there.

MLutthans likes this.