Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

The download versions are thinner than the mono Universal vinyl and I'm not sure they used the same source
    for both because the space between tracks are much shorter on the download version compared to the vinyl disc

MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It may have been reissued with a purple label, but on my Walsh © 1987 CD, the label is black with silver printing and Capitol "dome" logo at top. Cat. # CDP 7 48469 2; UPC barcode: 0 7777-48469-2 9.

Still available new for a song from the UK —> amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000089EO

MLutthans likes this.
  3. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks again Bob! The UK new looks like a great way to go.

Bob F likes this.
  4. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

My Walsh CD has a purple label.

Bob F likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

They may have changed the label color on different pressings. My MADE IN USA copy, from the Concepts wooden box, has the following identifiers on the inner ring:

Label side: "2-1-1 CAPITOL JAX 15 C"
    Underside: "JAX CPCD 48469 02! 5-04-92"

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Simon A likes this.
  6. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

I think it maybe a US, UK thing, my UK disc is purple.

Simon A and Bob F like this.
  7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

They are out there; I suspect you will find one with a little patience and diligence. I just picked one up (a UK '84 pressing) from a seller in Australia for not very much $$$.

Simon A likes this.
  8. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

My US disc is purple, but it's a club edition. Just to throw more chaff into the air. Cheers!

Simon A likes this.
  9. MLutthans

Hmmmmm.......I thought my days of buying stereo LPs of this title were done, but I found a copy on Ebay tonight that was such an oddball that I went ahead and bought it, and will report back when it arrives on my doorstep:
    s-l1600-77.jpg
    That's an April, 1979, stereo reissue from Australia, catalog number VMP1069, a strangely coincidental catalog number, considering that the original catalog number for Come Dance with Me was (S)W 1069. This Australian LP does not appear on Sinatrafamily.com or on Discogs.com.

My expectations are low, but hope springs eternal.

Simon A, aza14782 and MMM like this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The catalog number is purely coincidental. This is part of the Capitol VINE Series, according to:

Australian Record Labels —> Selected EMI LPs 1953–1985 (PDF file)

McLover, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  11. MLutthans

This LP arrived a few minutes ago. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I did take it out for a peek, and it may be the lightest-weight LP I own, even thinner than the USA Dynaflex stuff I've got, and yes, it makes that same Dynaflex-y "whoppa whoppa whoppa" sound when you hold the LP your hands and flex it back and forth. (If that bit of info sounds familiar, it's because back in July, I received a super-thin pressing of COME SWING WITH ME, and it, too, is an off-the-radar, rather oddball-ish Australian pressing. [Link to that post.] Hopefully this COME FLY WITH ME will sound better than that COME SWING WITH ME LP does.)

Oddly, the deadwax only contains this on the two sides, machine stamped:
    SW-1-920
    SW-2-920

No mention of the Australian catalog number, no info on which lacquer this is. Nada.

Simon A and MMM like this.
  12. MLutthans

Re: The 1979 Australian LP
    [​IMG]
    This is a surprisingly good-sounding LP. I'll try to get some clips up later tonight.

13. MLutthans

MMM likes this.
  14. MLutthans

Just playing around with that 1979 Australian LP a bit....

I think that it's tonally pretty similar to the 1984 UK "Dell" LP, especially on the ballad-y numbers, but the 1979 LP is, assumedly, "all-analog," while the 1984 LP is digitally remastered (which does not bug me as long as it sounds good, and it does, IMO).
    1979: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/195...es/LetsGetAwayClipAussie1979LP-cr-GAIN_01.wav
    1984: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1958_-_Come_Fly_with_Me_Stereo_files/LetsGetAUK84-GAIN_01-cr.mp3
    1979: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/195...ereo_files/AprilInParisClipAussie979LP-cr.wav
    1984: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1958_-_Come_Fly_with_Me_Stereo_files/AprilInUK84-NORM_01-cr.mp3

I prefer the 1984 release, but not by much. I wouldn't kick the 1979 LP out of bed for eating crackers, as they say, and I certainly put it in front of any of the domestic USA pressings that I have or that I have heard.

Simon A likes this.
  15. aza14782

aza14782 Forum Resident

Anyone know the reason why the back cover got changed early on? Sorry if it's been mentioned in this thread already but 31 pages is a lot of reading! I didn't even know about the original cover until I read about it on Matt's site. Unlike SFSL where I understand the change (as IMO the second cover looks better), here I find the original looks a lot nicer, don't see any reason for the change.

[​IMG]
    Here's what I'm talking about for those that haven't seen, the original is on the right and later pressings used the one on the left.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I can't answer as to why the back was changed, but here are two more variations from the UK. The first (left) is the original British 1961 stereo issue (EMI-Middlesex/Capitol SLCT 6154); the second (right) is the '80s "Alan Dell" digital remaster (EMI/Capitol ED 26 0095 1):

[​IMG][​IMG]

For more details, see this (SFF) post: —> Replacements for "On The Road To Mandalay"

rangerjohn and Simon A like this.
  17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have been collecting Mr. S records since 1968. I have never seen that back cover on the right without the photo before!

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The one wth the clipboard was on the first copy I ever saw (circa 1960). That came from an uncle who probably bought it new in 1958. It was still being used when the stereo issue was released in late 1961, as evidenced by the British stereo cover shown in my post.

McLover likes this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have a D13 grey label mono that has the photo not clipboard. That is all I knew. Maybe by the time the 13th pressing was done they changed...but still kept it for the first stereo releases years later?

20. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Why would Capitol wait three years to release the album in Stereo? I was under the impression that they would have released both Mono and Stereo at the same time but at different prices. Was this the only Sinatra album that had a Stereo version released much later?

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not in this case. There was a problem with the stereo recording which went undetected at one of the sessions. Read all about it earlier in this thread and/or at Matt's website:

In any event, it was nearly FOUR years between the mono and stereo LP releases: January 6, 1958 to November 17, 1961.
    Where Are You? – Mono: September 2, 1957; Stereo: February 1959
    Sings for Only the Lonely – Mono: September 8, 1958; Stereo: November 17, 1958

Except for those three early stereo-recorded albums, all subsequent Sinatra LPs were released simultaneously in both mono and stereo.

[Edit:] One more, but it was primarily a movie soundtrack recording not made at the Capitol Tower:
    High Society – Mono: June 25, 1956; Stereo: 1961

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    McLover, aza14782, paulmock and 4 others like this.
  22. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Just snagged an unplayed MoFi CFWM LP on ebay for less than $50.00!!

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  23. MLutthans

I'll add in a niggling little detail that I know Bob knows: Where Are You was also issued on stereo TAPE (not LP) right around the first of the new year in 1958. (I've yet to pin down a firm date. Could be very, very late in '57; most likely very early in '58.) This was the only instance of a Sinatra album having a unique stereo mix on tape vis-a-vis the standard stereo LP mix.

Cool, and good for you! My advice: The first time you play it, skip tracks 1, 2, 10, 11, and 12, so you don't let the inherent distortion (due to a technical snafu in the stereo booth) on those tracks "color" your impression, then go through and play the whole thing. I'm curious to hear your thoughts. (I rather like the MFSL version, not that it matters.)

McLover, Bob F and Simon A like this.
  24. MLutthans

One more rear-cover difference for USA copies:

•SW and ST copies of the 1960's had the paragraph: "Stereo spreads its wings....." (etc.) along the top
    •SM and SN copies of the 1970s and '80s used the same rear cover, but with that paragraph deleted.

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

CONGRATS! I saw that someone was busting up his Silver Box on eBay this past week. Glad you have the finest LP version around. I am about to pull my copy out of the box and enjoy it for the start of the cocktail hour in your honor.

McLover and MLutthans like this.