Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

Does anyone think noise reduction was used on the mono download?

2. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

Hi. For me, the best stereo edition I've heard of "Come Fly With Me" is the 1987 mix, released on CD. Does anyone disagree and can you advise me better about the mehlor version in stereo, be it LP or CD? I'm new to these issues and if anyone can help me, thank you.

Remy and MMM like this.
  3. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Sorry, what is "mehlor"?

4. It's "better" in Portuguese.

5. Artur Torres

I'm sorry, actually you write "melhor", which translates into English is "better".

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

My opinions: 1958 - Come Fly with Me 2

There's a link at the top of the page for "stereo" and "conclusions." Stereo is tricky on this title, due to the technical problems that afflict 5 of the songs. (Personally, I prefer stereo over mono on this particular title, despite the technical problems, but I'm likely in the minority.)

McLover, Turmatic and Stephen J like this.
  7. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

No worries, I thought I had somehow missed a version of this album mastered by someone named Melhor. Or maybe I was worried that "Melhor" was Portuguese for "Norberg". ;)

aza14782 and Simon A like this.
  8. Artur Torres

Ok.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017
  9. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I'm listening to the stereo mix (Walsh disc) for the first time. I've listened to the mono mix (UMe vinyl and Mastered for iTunes) dozens of times since first buying this album back in February or so. This stereo version is so different. It sounds limp. All those microphones on the mono version really add oomph. It's going to take me a while to get used to hearing it this way!

The sound on this Walsh disc is very good. I tried listening to the Norberg disc only once but found it irritating. It might have been a placebo effect. Who knows.

I just love this album. Every time I think I like another Sinatra album more, I listen to this one again and it goes right back to the top.

10. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

No placebo. The Norberg isn't good at all. The Walsh shows how great the stereo can sound when mastered properly.

McLover and CBackley like this.
  11. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Please don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with a good mono recording, but I’m primarily a stereo guy. There’s no doubt that the mono version of Come Fly with Me is much more detailed, but Larry Walsh’s stereo mastering of this album (despite all the technical problems associated with the original stereo recording) has some very special moments.

Like Matt, I also prefer the stereo version of the title song (along with several other tracks), but, for me, the most special song in stereo is Moonlight in Vermont. It certainly isn’t as detailed as the mono version, but the overall tone, sound stage, and mood created by the stereo version is sublime- I always find it a very special moment when I listen to this song, in stereo, very late at night.

Sometimes better detail isn’t always everything.

MLutthans, kennyluc1 and CBackley like this.
  12. MLutthans

Just to clarify, that's a stereo RE-mix. It solves some problems; it introduces others.

Artur Torres, kennyluc1 and CBackley like this.
  13. CBackley

Good point!

McLover likes this.
  14. teag

teag Forum Resident

The Une mono LP sounds best to me.

aza14782 and CBackley like this.
  15. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

The Ume Mono Version is pure joy!!! I love it so much! I had the chance to rediscover this album all over again. What a gift.

Karnak and CBackley like this.
  16. CBackley

I love "Isle of Capri" on that UMe record. When the orchestra kicks in it just blows me away. Every time.

teag and roda12 like this.
  17. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Right, the whole album has much more "punch"!!! You can really "feel" the orchestra and drums and bass! Also love to hear the guitar on "Around the world".

18. teag

teag Forum Resident

I was wondering how one could tell if they come across one of these Neumann lathe cuts:

"There is one LP edition that is conspicuous in its absence, and that’s a 1970s/1980s Capitol USA pressing cut on the Neumann lathe. The Scully cuts I’ve heard are all duds, but I’d love to hear a Neumann cut (they do exist)..."
    From your most helpful site of course!

The early 80's SM 920 with the blue label is not it correct? I was just sorting all my versions of this LP and threw this one on because I had not played it in quite a while.

Edit: Just put the 1983 MFSL LP on and wow - so much better. Have not played the stereo versions in quite a while - sounds great.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    MLutthans likes this.
  19. MLutthans

You'd have to read the runout scribe.

F or G = Neumann lathe
    H or J = Scully lathe

It's possible that any cuts in the SY, SM, or SN series could be an F or G, but I've yet to see one.

teag likes this.
  20. teag

teag Forum Resident

Side 1 is G9!
    Side 2 is H1.
    I only listened to side 2 today. I will check out side one tomorrow!

MLutthans likes this.
  21. MLutthans

The difference may be subtle; maybe undetectable; possibly obvious. Please report back. :)

teag likes this.
  22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Will do. Thanks.

23. MLutthans

There should be very little noise to reduce, as the album's production master is literally the same pieces of tape that ran over the tape heads during the sessions, with zero duplication/copying/mixing/remixing required. (The mono session tapes were cut up and used as the album's mono production master.)

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

I compared my Neumann lathe side 1 (G9) with side 2 which is H1. No major difference that I could detect. May have been a little bit more midrange on the H9 side, but subtle. Also a bit more bass, but again subtle.

Compared the H9 side with the MFSL 1983 and the MFSL was much better all around. More open, more bass and just more dynamic.

Interesting thing to compare - thanks for the information.

MLutthans likes this.
  25. MLutthans

Thanks for the report!