Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

Be that as it may...it's Capitol, and we know they only specialize in audiophile wonderment (said with tongue firmly in cheek). It was just a question. I thought I detected a slight bit used but I could have been wrong.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Nah, you are very likely correct. There may be noise reduction, or not; I did not comment on it one way or another, and have never thought twice about it. I was just pointing out that very little (if any) should be needed. In general, I think the HD mono version is a pretty good mastering, maybe slightly outdone by the two Ron McMaster-mastered LP releases.

3. MLutthans

s-l1600-40.jpg s-l1600-41.jpg
    Maybe EMI's attempt to squeeze a "Come Fly with Me"-style compilation album out of Nat King Cole's recorded catalogue? There's even "the New York song" late on side one, and "the British Song" and "The Brazil song" on side two, ending with a song about home.

4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Does he make a pizza at some point?

MLutthans and SBC like this.
  5. MLutthans

s-l1600-289.jpg s-l1600-288.jpg
    Note the revised running order.

CBackley, MMM, rangerjohn and 2 others like this.
  6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

7. MLutthans

Just curious: Does anybody here have this edition?
    s-l1600-379.jpg s-l1600-378.jpg
    Does it actually use the stereo mix? Or is it the mono mix, rechanneled for stereo? (Note on the right side of the label: "(ESW1-920)" -- I thought the E may be for "electronic."

The rear cover art is the original UK mono style, and the front cover, as shown above, does not say STEREO along the top. (The 1984 UK all-stereo reissue also did not say stereo along the top of the front cover.)

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've never heard it but usually (no, SOMETIMES) with EMI if one song is in mono on there it's faked and then the entire album is marked electronic.

But, I could be dead wrong and it is mono.

MLutthans likes this.
  9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

"French Foreign Legion" exists in stereo...they would have a stereo mix of it at least from the ALL THE WAY compilation.

McLover likes this.
  10. MLutthans

....and from the first stereo mix, made for this stereo EP in 1959:
    [​IMG]

MMM, McLover and Simon A like this.
  11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, a much better mix from what I remember, though I don't recall if that was released in the UK.

12. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

The “E” is not for “electronic;” my best guess is that it stands for “England” or “English.” EDIT: maybe “EMI”? Either way, this would show up on vintage (pre-Dell/1984) UK pressings of CFWM containing a different track than “On The Road To Mandalay,” due to a copyright issue with the Kipling estate, right? My UK mono LCT 6154 LP has “EW1-920” on the Side 1 label and in the matrix, and contains “It Happened In Monterey” in place of “Mandalay.” You’ll notice that Side 2 contains familiar/expected info on the labels and in the deadwax. The differing track between mono and stereo makes sense to me from the standpoint that the UK LPs’ compilers would likely have wanted to substitute a true mono/true stereo, roughly contemporaneous track with a “world” theme in place of “Mandalay.” I’m sure there wouldn’t be any “enhanced” (another “E” word!) or electronic re-channeled stereo stuff on any issue of SLCT 6154.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    McLover, MLutthans and Bob F like this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Just to be clear…

On original UK issues of the album, “On the Road to Mandalay” was replaced due to legal issues with Rudyard Kipling’s estate. On the MONO LP, the replacement track was “It Happened in Monterey”; on the STEREO LP it was “French Foreign Legion.” (In Australia, the replacement was “Chicago.”)

See my SFF post: Replacements for "On The Road To Mandalay"

McLover, Yfncl223, CBackley and 3 others like this.
  14. BluRayVen

BluRayVen Well-Known Member

The Cat# SLCT means it's stereo, if it were mono the cat would hust be LCT

15. MLutthans

Yes. I was asking about stereo mix vs. Electronic "stereo" mono mix. I don't think the latter would carry an LCT prefix.

16. teag

teag Forum Resident

Playing a gang of mono LPs today using my mono cartridge and put the 2014 Ume release of this gem on.

Had not heard this in a while - this is a great sounding LP. Ume is to be commended on this one (again).

If you like FS and don't have this release - buy now!

17. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I've been addicted lately to the 2014 mono HD download. I was always a "stereo guy" on this one -- the widescreen spread goes so well with the theme. But something happened ...and now I'm hooked on the tight punch and dreamy clarity of the mono.

Love it!

teag, CBackley, Simon A and 1 other person like this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

If only the reverb weren't so "soupy"...

MarkusGermany and bozburn like this.
  19. Pants Party

yeah, that was one of my big hang-ups as well -- too much reverb on Frank with the mono. But I had a change of heart recently . In lieu of that big widescreen space we get on the stereo mix... the decision to give Frank extra scale and dimension with the reverb may have been the right decision for the mono. I don't think a close, warm Wee Small Hours sound would have worked. Though, I love and prefer that approach by default. I think the concept of moving the audience away a bit, fits.

Tommyboy and MarkusGermany like this.
  20. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I can't listen to the mono with all that reverb- just drives me up the wall. I love the Walsh stereo version (even with the problem on a number of the stereo tracks). Personally, I believe the Walsh stereo mastering sounds about as good as you can get.

MarkusGermany and paulmock like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It is, for what is issued. There is a Pete Welding mix that is stereo but totally dry, sounds totally weird but you can hear everything..

McLover, AJH and rangerjohn like this.
  22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

The drums on “Isle of Capri” kill me every time. And they’re glorious on the mono mix. So much punch!

roda12, rangerjohn and Pants Party like this.
  23. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Love the marimba on the mono "Brazil"!

roda12 and Pants Party like this.
  24. Pants Party

I think it might have been Road to Mandalay that sold me on the mono. Wow.

CBackley and roda12 like this.
  25. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

The Ume Mono is my go to version. Love it!!!

CBackley likes this.