Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Nice 'n' Easy" - 1960*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jun 19, 2010.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

OK -- slow day today, so what the heck, I wrapped up the Nice 'n' Easy pages. See new page here: Nice ‘n’ Easy - 1960 .

Again, there are lots of good masterings of Nice 'n' Easy out there, so don't take this as "these masterings are great; those other masterings suck." Not at all! It's a matter of degree and preferences. I went with this:

<<To my ears, there are MANY “basically quite good” masterings of the original stereo mix floating around out there. With the goal of finding “the best” versions, my personal recommendations are:
    1. A clean, original USA “D” pressing -- at least some of them. I almost always like original USA pressings, but I rarely find them to be “the best,” but in blind listening, that’s the one that struck me as having the best overall tone and presentation. I liked it! I call ‘em like I hear ‘em. This is my favorite.
    2. I was also very fond of my 1970s USA yellow-label stereo LP, 1980s USA green-label stereo LP, and 1984 UK “Dell” stereo LP, not necessarily in that order.
    3. For original-mix CDs, I prefer the 2008 MFSL CD over the 1998 UK boxed set disc.

If you have any of those editions listed above, you’ve got, in my view, a very good version of the album’s original mix. Congrats!
    4. If the original mix is just too soupy for you -- and I think a very good case can be made that it’s too soupy -- pick up the 1991, 16-track CD release, mastered by Larry Walsh. It’s very nice on its own very good, very different terms, and some may even argue that it is superior. Heck, I may even argue that.>>

That's my list of personal preferences. I also posted the collective results -- minus my own views -- from the "blind listening jury" on the webpage at the same link, and I want to again thank all the people here who volunteered their time, ears, and opinions to take part in that.

Also, I've added, at the bottom of that page, clips from "She's Funny That Way."

Please chime in with your views. (I really hate when this becomes The Matt Lutthans Show. I'd cancel that after about 3 episodes! Everybody's views are valid, right? Don't be shy.)

AL01, rxcory, Mr Bass and 5 others like this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting how far apart the D14 side one is from the D21 side two, and even the D15 side two (which isn't as good as the D21).

MLutthans likes this.
  3. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m shocked the 2008 MFSL gold CD wasn’t anyone’s top pick (top three?). It sounds so great to my ears, it really makes me want to track down one of the winners! Those would probably blow me away.

I know you don’t enjoy the mono mix, but did you do any blind listening tests with mono pressings?

MarkusGermany likes this.
  4. MLutthans

That's not quite right. Here's part of the original post about the "by the numbers" scores:
    So....in the totals above, which include my own votes, the MFSL CD was fairly well represented in blind listening. It's a good mastering. As I mention on the website, *I* think that it's superior to the UK 1998 CD, but in terms of raw numbers and "number of mentions," the UK CD had more gravitas in the comments by those involved.

CBackley likes this.
  5. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Thanks very much for these Sinatra threads. Very informative. They inspired me to do the Julie London threads a few years ago.

As for Nice N Easy, I have the MFSL on JVC vinyl. I think it's early 80s as that was the period of JVC vinyl used by Mobile Fidelity. It's sad that JVC vinyl was discontinued supposedly for industrial health reasons because it is one of the greatest vinyl formulations in my experience. Anyway the pressing seemed to match the performance IMO - very smooth. Unlike some of his other LPs I haven't searched out other pressings of this title. I didn't see discussion of this pressing in the thread although maybe I just missed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MLutthans

I've enjoyed your Julie London threads, so I'm glad we can reciprocate a bit. :)

The MFSL LP is on my webpage and was part of the blind listening. Two clips from the site:
    http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1960_-_Nice_n_Easy_files/NiceEasyClip1983MFSLLP-GAIN_01.wav
    http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1960_-_Nice_n_Easy_files/NeverthelessClip1982MFSLLP-GAIN_01.wav

Again -- lots of good masterings out there! For the record, when comparing something like 17 album versions of the title tune (as opposed to compilations where that song appears), in blind listening, I chose that 1982 MFSL LP as my top choice. One kind of odd thing: it's cut at a pretty low level, so even though the Supervinyl (which I often praise) is whisper-quiet, there's still some noise that comes through, just because it is not masked by the music, which is at low level. It's a good pressing, though, of course. (Broken record comment: There are LOTS of good versions of this one.)

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Mr Bass, MarkusGermany and CBackley like this.
  7. MLutthans

Scorecard updated to include Nice 'n' Easy: Capitol Scorecard .

It's funny.....this album and its predecessor, No One Cares, seem to have a larger number of very pleasant masterings than other titles, and relatively few sub-par or "dud" masterings, so it's really challenging to come along and try to say anything even close to "I really strongly recommend edition x over editions y and z." I think that, for the vast majority of listeners, any of the editions listed as good, very good, excellent, or "top choice" will prove to be "just fine" -- but the ones marked as "excellent" may be worth investigating if you are curious about possibly upgrading what you have. Just don't look for any "vastly better" releases, as you may be disappointed. One last time; repeat after me: "Lots of good choices on this album!" Enjoy what you have! If you've only had the soupy original mix versions, the 1991 CD may be worth getting for what proves to be a very different approach to the sound of this album.

8. CBackley

One reason I really love your scorecard (and the efforts of you and the others who compare these tracks) is it helps me not only track down better sounding versions of albums I’ve grown to love, but also because it’s fun to get other well-regarded pressings/masterings/mixes. Thanks again!!

MLutthans and rxcory like this.
  9. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Long-time Capitol Scorecard fan here :wave:

The link for the Discogs double LP set that includes Come Dance With Me isn’t working on my iPhone, and if I go to Discogs and manually search for such a title the one that comes up is a mix of Swing Along With Me and Ring-A-Ding-Ding. Is this user error on my part? I am aging and all :laugh:

MLutthans likes this.
  10. MLutthans

rxcory likes this.
  11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Thanks for that; added to my wishlist. If I type in the "2 Originals Of Frank Sinatra" in a Discogs search the one from Germany (with different albums) that comes up is:

Frank Sinatra - 2 Originals Of

Edit: I see the problem is purely a result of the Discogs search function :righton:

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    MLutthans likes this.
  12. Zusac

Zusac Well-Known Member

Scorecard looks great, Matt! I already have the original "D" stereo pressing as well as the Walsh mix. After listening to the other options, I honestly don't think I would have forked over money for such a small improvement, which is entirely subjective anyway.

Like you said, you should just enjoy what you have, and I would just add to take it "Nice N' Easy"! :)

CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  13. MLutthans

R-1374204-1372470548-7718.jpeg.jpg
    Alternate shot:
    s-l1600-429.jpg

roda12 and CBackley like this.
  14. Zusac

Zusac Well-Known Member

Hey Matt, do you know by any chance which song is on that sheet music on the stand next to Mr. S?

15. MLutthans

It looks like maybe it's "Lady of" something......Lady of Spain? Here's the best close-up I could get:
    Screen shot 2018-05-28 at 7.48.54 AM.png
    Also, here's the un-cropped version of the photo:
    Screen shot 2018-05-28 at 7.44.53 AM.png

CBackley likes this.
  16. Zusac

Zusac Well-Known Member

Most likely that. Since this photo was taken from a rehearsal for an appearance at the Sands in 1960, it is no surprise that there hasn't been any known recording of this. Thanks!

17. MLutthans

It may have also been something that was included in, say, a part of the overall stage show, but not part of the Sinatra material, per se. I have no idea.

MMM and CBackley like this.
  18. I've just picked up an original UK mono pressing of this. I can't say I'm overenamoured with the boxy, echoey sound. Give me the stereo any day!

19. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

My motto is (almost) always "Stay away from UK pressings"

20. MLutthans

For these original Sinatra releases, I pretty-much agree. Any -1N, -1u, and -1s cuts I have are in the sub-par to poor range. (Many later versions are a-okay.)

roda12 likes this.
  21. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

That's so interesting - I have just fallen in love with this album, after getting and listening to the Axis issue - on cassette of all things! But it sounds great to me, and the beauty / coherence of the album comes through fantastically. Have been playing it repeatedly over the past week, can't believe I have never known about just how great this album is.

So this Axis release is a unique stereo mix, along with the other Aussie EMI CD issue? Funny to have these various mixes of the album (and some of its individual tracks) with a 3-track master!

Edit: Of course I realise that my 1983 tape is not the same as the CD master.

Just as well, since the Axis CD was the one "dud" in your survey! Anyway, he greatness of the material will probably prevail over most mastering issues!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  22. MLutthans

No; the Australian CDs use the original 1960 stereo mix -- incredibly poorly mastered, though -- that was used for virtually all releases down through the years. The 1988 (non-Australian) and 1991 (ditto) CDs use a 1988 remix, and the 1998 "Entertainer of the Century" CD uses a 1998 remix. The 1998 UK CD and 2006 MFSL CD reverted to using the original stereo mix.

Axis released Nice 'n' Easy on LP around 1982:
    [​IMG]
    .....about six years before the Axis CD release. My guess is that the cassette was released in conjunction with the LP and that both may, as you suggest, have much better sound than the later Axis CD (and its audio clone on EMI Australasia [not a typo] -- with no "Axis" branding -- that was released later).

-------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I do not own the Vegas box, but was thumbing through the accompanying book at a record store yesterday, and noticed that there's a photo taken during the same session near the front of the book. Any chance something can be definitively made out from that photo? (Maybe if scanned and enlarged?)

D.B. likes this.
  23. CBackley

Have you tried yelling “ENHANCE!”??

AaronW likes this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This is the photo:

Frank Sinatra going over the songs for the Sands show in evening, while the choreographer puts the dancers through the new routines1960 © 1978 Bob Willoughby - Image 0337_2356 | mptvimages | Licensed Imagery + Prints

[​IMG]

jtaylor and MLutthans like this.
  25. MLutthans

Yep! If somebody has the book, a scanner, and some spare time, I'm guessing the titles are visible. (Not enough resolution on the MPTV version.)