Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It comes down to the semantics of what is meant by “A-side.” As someone who continues to disagree (;)), I offer the following supporting quote from that Record News article:

The flip-side is the beautiful new ballad, “I’m Walking Behind You,” which is clamoring for hit honors on its own.

Regardless of Capitol’s expectation when the single was released, “Lean Baby” turned out to be LESS successful on the charts.

2. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

My Tramp go to version is from the original US Pal Joey Ep Box set. Sounds fantastic!

3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Everything after "Hates California, it's so cold and so damp..." is a stronger vocal on the Pal Joey version, despite the shorter "Tramp", IMO. You can clearly hear vocal warble on the second "That's why the lady..." on the long "traaaaaaamp" version that isn't there on the Pal Joey version. At least I can.

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

I love FS but: If I never hear that song again it will be too soon....

I still love the Pal Joey movie however.

5. Dr. Funkenstein

Dr. Funkenstein Forum Resident

I'm being offered a very attractive Pal Joey LP - original UK '58 pressing in immaculate condition. However, it's in stereo. I may be completely wrong, but I could've sworn that the album was originally only released in mono, and even then a lot of the tracks suffer from dodgy mixing. Does anyone know anything about this release? Good sound or should I pick up an early mono?

P.S. Isn't "There's a Small Hotel" simply one of the most gorgeous and obscenely underrated tracks that Frankie ever recorded?

Beaneydave likes this.
  6. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Sorry I can’t help ref the album but I agree 100% with you ref “ Hotel” - one of his best.

peace and love✌Dave

Dr. Funkenstein likes this.
  7. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Love this album, "Small hotel" and all, but I never found a good sounding copy. They all sound bad. Be it the original mono, duophonic, re-releases, US or international pressings, I tried them all. This album really needs a complete new mix and remastering.
    Same goes for "Can-Can" and "High Society". Don't know what it is with those soundtrack recordings, but they really differ from Sinatra's other Capitol albums soundwise.

Dr. Funkenstein likes this.
  8. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Well, one can get tired of the many live recordings, but the original Capitol version will always stay fresh to my ears. One of the greatest recordings ever made by anyone in music history.

The piano intro gets you right in the mood and it's only "Wowwwww!!!!"

Reminds me of a quote I read recently from arranger Robert Mersey. He said "A recording is sold in the first eight bars". Well, I don't agree 100%, but he had a point there!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  9. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

I have a couple of Time Life compilations. Mine sound great.
    This one, from 1985, how do all the other tracks sound? Digital ir full analog? it's from 1985...
    A buy decision will be made on the basus of answers and recommedation :)

10. James_S888

And that Japanese The Hit Maker double LP sounds great :)

roda12 and MLutthans like this.
  11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

It's half-speed mastered, with generally very good sound. (Kind of a hodgepodge of tracks, so I'm not sure how vital it is, but it sounds good, and largely un-futzed.)

12. Dr. Funkenstein

I assumed that this was the case. Thanks for your help. Since I can't resist picking up a copy anymore, I'll probably just grab a mono.

roda12 likes this.
  13. Dr. Funkenstein

Oh, and also, is there any consensus on an ideal sounding version of the "Academy Award Winners" album? It's one of the few proper studio LPs from Frank's golden age that I've never owned, but I'm lost as to which version(s) I should try and seek out.

14. James_S888

Thanks, I've gone in and picked up a copy on discogs. The seller is saying "Was sealed when I bought this a year ago. Unfortunately I opened it. Everything included. Only played once and in fantastic condition"

There is an Ella in this series too. All Decca era stuff by the looks of it. Has anyone heard that one?

15. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

The Hit Maker is a treasure! The first track "Lean Baby" alone makes it a must have

16. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

The fairly common US mono LP sounds fantastic, but as this is a Reprise album, consider my advice more appropriate for this thread: Frank Sinatra on Reprise appreciation thread!

17. James_S888

And "can I steal a little love"
    I even have the original 45 of that one. the hit maker version is much nicer sounding

roda12 likes this.
  18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, because they were recorded by the respective film companies, except for any tracks Frank re-did at Capitol for the soundtrack albums.

The HIGH SOCIETY tracks made at MGM, as heard on the mixes done for the SINATRA IN HOLLYWOOD box, and even the new mix done for the disc of the movie itself, sound quite good. There's also the Capitol (mono only) version of "You're Sensational", which sounds excellent. PAL JOEY's multitrack mags for the film versions are still missing last I heard, and the versions Frank did at Capitol are live to mono only, so new mixes aren't possible..."Tramp" sounds great because it was done at the sessions for A SWINGIN' AFFAIR!, while the other tracks were done the next year when Capitol's live mono recordings too often weren't up to the standard of what came in the years leading up to 1957, with too much echo, etc. being used, so they'll never sound quite as great as "Tramp".

19. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Uggh, just listening to "How little we know" on the Hit maker set. What an awful mix is that???!!!

20. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Just realizing that "The hit maker" is quite a mixed bag...
    Many tracks are marvelous, but some really suck.

21. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Isn't that the state of many Capitol compilations (Sinatra or otherwise).

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Are you saying the songs themselves and/or Sinatra's performances "suck"? From my point of view, Sinatra's voacal performances during the Capitol years were always very good. Even the "lightweight" singles come across well as song selections, at least far better song selections than the typical singles of most of his contemporaries at the time

23. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Oh my God no!!!!! I love each and every recording Sinatra ever made!!!
    No I meant soundwise. There are so many great sounding original mixes on that 2lp set and yet there are bad sounding mixes as well.

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It sounds quite good on the COLLECTORS SERIES disc and THE CAPITOL YEARS 3 disc set.

Simon A, roda12 and Bob F like this.
  25. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Just to clarify this: I feel sorry for my message because it was misunderstood.

I love Sinatra from all my heart and soul in every way.
    And I would never dare to critize him. Be it as a singer,artist,performer,actor, conductor,painter,Tv star, dancer,director,songwriter or human being. Especially not as a human being. To me he was bigger than life itself. And his talent was there only to marvel at. And to enjoy all life long.

If I critizise anything here in this forum, it's about sound questions, mixes, pressings,re-releases, bad arrangements etc. But never him. Never him.

Tribute likes this.