Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 10, 2013.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I am at home, and am reporting on my notes. :)

I have opined many times here that a dB or two difference in overall dynamic range is often not a big deal. It becomes more clearly audible at around 3 dB change, and once you get up to 5, 6, 7 or more in reduction (RMS over the course of the track), things are often sounding pretty slammed.

Re: There's a Small Hotel --

This is one of those "pick your poison" tracks. In order, from widest dynamics to most-smashed:
    •The Norberg-mastered Pal Joey soundtrack CD and Select Rodgers and Hart CDs both clock in around = -21.5 dB RMS.
    •The Australian Pal Joey CD and the German Sinatra's Greatest LP are both around -17dB RMS. (about 4.5 dB less dynamic -- definitely audible)
    •The original USA "D" LP pressings will be somewhere around -15.5 dB RMS, depending on cut (6 dB less dynamic -- arguably "smashed" or brickwalled).

So.....you can choose "wide open," un-smashed mastering (presumably from the true session tapes) with some degree of Norberg processing,
    OR
    you can choose releases that have audible, heavy compression, but little or no processing besides that compression.

This choice is surprisingly common in the land of Sinatra non-album tracks. Here are the suggestions from my website, and it's no picnic either way:
    Screen shot 2021-06-10 at 11.50.06 PM.png Screen shot 2021-06-10 at 11.50.15 PM.png
    I'll also add that this track has, to my ears, literally never had a good-sounding LP release (AND the CDs are not without flaws).

(You can listen to un-altered clips on the website linked above, and decide for yourself which you prefer. If you have a mono button, push it as you play the 1995 clip, and see if it helps -- and thank you to @Bob F for providing the clip from that CD.)

One more thing: I'd bet dollars to donuts that both of the Norberg CDs are sourced from the actual, raw SESSION tapes (not any later LP production tape). Sadly, they have been strongly tampered with by Norberg during CD mastering (more so on the 1989 CD than the 1995 CD), so they have their own set of problems, but the DYNAMICS are intact. The Australian CD is likely sourced from the LP production tapes, fairly "straight," i.e., not overly processed, not compressed during mastering. The LPs are likely all sourced from "running masters" for LP production, with EQ and maybe some limiting "baked in," possibly with another layer of limiting being added during the LP cutting process. Those releases all have some degree of "ugly" baked in. We saw a similar situation with the tracks on the compilation LP, "Look to Your Heart." MOST (nearly all?) of the releases of those 12 tracks stem from the "LP tapes" that are PROCESSED, so those tracks tend to "have the ugliness baked in," but once in a while, somebody at Capitol went the extra mile to find the SESSION tapes for those tracks, and, as a result, on those few releases they sound VASTLY improved over the majority of the releases, which stem from the tampered-with LP masters.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  2. MLutthans

From five years ago:
    Missed no more! I have a copy, and will get a clip posted. :)

roda12, Simon A and hodgo like this.
  3. MLutthans

....and here you go. A clip from the LP is posted on this webpage, or you can directly access the clip here.
    16303767553092363030689260146050.jpg
    By comparison, here is my "top choice" for this track, the 1973 Like Never Before LP.
    R-4838911-1377102781-7630.jpeg.jpg
    It's a little hard to tell on these clips, but the left channel -- especially obvious during the opening string swells -- is not really over on the left. It is centered somewhat on all releases, EXCEPT the 1973 debut release.

By the way, I'm am pretty darned sure that every release of "version one" -- the version with the two corrective, intentional edits, as in these two LPs -- after 1973 is from a needledrop of the 1973 LP.

Trivial little side note: There were four releases of this track in 1984, tacked on to NO ONE CARES: The UK stereo LP; the Dutch stereo LP; the Dutch mono LP (fold-down for this track); and the 1984 Japanese LP. The Japanese LP puts the track as track 5 on side two, while the other three put it as track six on side two.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    wvk3, JazzFanatic, jtsjc1 and 6 others like this.
  4. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Nice Job .. Matt !

MLutthans likes this.
  5. David Joyce

David Joyce Active Member

I’m sure my mom, Betty Joyce and some of the adults sang along, to help center the pitch :)
    That was the Jimmy Joyce children’s chorus
    David Joyce

6. ModernBingFan0377

ModernBingFan0377 Crosby ‘Connoisseur’

I've been going through some of the non-album tracks of the Capitol recordings lately, and I really just have to complement the song "Half As Lovely (Twice As True)" as it has been stuck in my head all day. The songs from "Pal Joey" are very good too.

The one that has caught me over guard the most during these listens is the song "Flowers Mean Forgiveness" due to the call back to the early 40's Sinatra and the Pied Pipers formula used for a few of the early song, and to be repeated for the recording of "But Not For Me." The only problem with the song is that it is quite corny material wise, but everything else about the performance I like.

hodgo, paulmock, JeffreyB and 2 others like this.
  7. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

"Half As Lovely (Twice As True)" is a terrific performance. Great charts by Riddle as well.

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

FUN FACT: "Flowers..." was recorded 1/12/56 at a session for Songs For Swingin' Lovers. It was recorded between "Swingin' Down the Lane" and the 20 something takes to record "I've Got You Under My Skin"!

bozburn and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

And IMHO quite an autobiographical tune for that period of Mr. S's life!

bozburn and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  10. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

I've always liked his "Nice n' Easy" CD, particularly because of the quality of the added bonus tracks, including this one, recorded in 1953.
    It's one of my favourites, I've had the single in a jukebox for over a decade.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  11. ModernBingFan0377

I had noticed that while going through MLutthans' Capitol singles track comparison. What an odd song to record then, especially with bringing in the chorus just to be sent away for Frank to record one of his most popular recordings.

hodgo and paulmock like this.
  12. MLutthans

Don't Change Your Mind About Me has even more of a Pied Piper's vein to it, I think.

13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

There is one female in that vocal group who's voice just sticks out like a very sore thumb IMHO. The scraping of her nails on the chalkboard begins at 1:35!:yikes:

hodgo and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  14. ModernBingFan0377

That is very true, I had forgotten about that one, I listened to it once before though I remember. I like these kind of tributes to those early recordings.

MLutthans likes this.
  15. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume 12 HOT hits for a COOL penny!

Sorry, I don't have time to scan this entire thread. I'm wondering about Sinatra's Capitol albums in hi-res. Are they worth acquiring?

16. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Matt's superb scorecard will help you with that.

Capitol Scorecard

hodgo, Squad 701 and Gnome de Plume like this.
  17. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume 12 HOT hits for a COOL penny!

Thank you!

Simon A likes this.
  18. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Matt,
    I picked up yet another copy of All the Way (1976 SM-1538 -- still need to listen) and was revisiting your various "top" choices. Your post says the 1988 CD is top stereo choice for "French Foreign Legion" but your website picks the 1984 "Dell" album. Or have I misunderstood? Just wond'rin'....

19. MLutthans

Well, it's at least partially an oversight on my part, as I should have, at minimum, included on the webpage a "top digital choice", which would have been that CD, no question about it.

That said, for the ten ALL THE WAY compilation tracks that suffer from backward presentation (strings on the right -- a major boo-boo, IMO), I don't recommend the backward versions as a top choice, simply because in their un-tweaked, "off the shelf" form, they are backwards, and that's kind of a big deal for anal-retentive, orchestra-centric me. Also, that 1988 remixed CD is the topic of discussion in the post that immediately follows the one that you quoted:
    ....so....the CD sounds very good (and should have been listed -- with qualifiers -- in my handful of top choices -- mea culpa), but 1.) the stereo is backwards; and 2.) the "hep 2, 3, 4" part is potted down in the remix, so it has a couple of big warts on its otherwise lovely visage.

By the way, the version that I have on my own CD-R is this:
    Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 10.57.03 PM.png
    (Yes, I have notes, and yes, you forced me to actually check them!) :agree: :laugh:

20. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Wow. Sinatra's never easy. Thanks!

MLutthans and rangerjohn like this.
  21. MLutthans

...but occasionally nice. :D

22. kennyluc1

I just bought a collection of 250 Sinatra albums, including many from the Capitol Dutch series.

paulmock, Simon A and rangerjohn like this.
  23. kennyluc1

Matt what is your opinion of "Wee Small Hours " in that series.

24. ModernBingFan0377

I was going through my LPs yesterday, and came across a Sinatra 2-LP set that I forgot I had, and probably for good reason. Close Up is this weird set of both This Is Sinatra releases but each albums were truncated by two songs, and each track is duophonic. It’s quite a shame.

hodgo and paulmock like this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Capitol was notorious for reissuing albums in the 70's with truncated sides or even reverse order...making what was Side 1 now Side 2. Sound was never a premium concern on them. I have that same one as you ... bought it when it first came out as Capitol Sinatras were hard to come by. Have not played it in decades!

ModernBingFan0377 likes this.