Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Songs for Swingin' Lovers - Released 1956*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Could well be, but I always assumed (based on no actual information, mind you) that Mr. S was not necessarily happy with the original illustration. The second effort, certainly, is more flattering.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I agree with your last sentence. I dislike that original depiction of Mr Sinatra. Doesnt even look like Frank. Looks goofy. But, I understand why many wanted it on the mfsl and probably want it on this new lp reissue.

If the new reissue does end up sounding really nice, lets just hope they dont goof up and cut an intro off or something.

aza14782 likes this.
  3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Today is the 60th anniversary of "I've Got You Under My Skin" being recorded. Take out the MoFi hybrid disc (or the best copy you have) and play that mother loud. :cheers:

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OHYUOUBETCHA!!!!!!

MMM, drbeachboy and DLant like this.
  5. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Yes sir!

Might even do some air trombone along with Milt's solo.

rxcory, MMM, drbeachboy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Best suggestion I've heard all day.

MMM and DLant like this.
  7. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Ahhh.....wonderful !

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Might go grab the trombone and scare the cat! Nah....

A landmark recording (even by Sinatra standards), well worth celebrating.

rxcory, MMM and DLant like this.
  9. MLutthans

By the way: Since the post I've quoted here (which dates back over six years) was recently "liked," I think I should point out that in terms of sound quality on this album, something has changed, and that something is the new (2014) MFSL release. Just get that, and life will be good. Somebody (MFSL in this case) finally really nailed it where this album is concerned.

rxcory, drbeachboy, MMM and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

He looked like a Rabbi officiating at a wedding in Brooklyn on the first cover.

11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Yeah! YEAH!

I celebrated by blasting the live version (Vegas 1966 w/ Count Basie orchestra) out of my car stereo!! LOUD! "We gonna take this building and move it 3 feet thataway! Hold on to your handbags!"

In any format, in any recording, studio or live, Sinatra always ALWAYS did a fabulous performance of this song.

This past summer, as a relatively new (and besotted) Sinatra fan, I did an individual study of Songs for Swingin' Lovers. I have the Larry Walsh mix and also bought the MOFI disc.

My conclusion? It's the greatest album of the 20th century.* YEAH!
    It's not just great, but insanely great. "You're Getting to Be a Habit with Me", "I Thought About You", "Too Marvelous for Words" ..... every song on this album is a masterpiece -- no filler!!! Perfect song sequencing; perfect flow from start to end. The perfect album. These Sinatra / Riddle performances represent a musical Mt. Everest!

(* The only exceptions I'll allow -- for me -- are other Sinatra albums LOL)

rxcory and MMM like this.
  12. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

One of the greatest endings to a vocal arrangement I've ever heard. Strings --> Bass+Harp --> Pluck!

rxcory and MMM like this.
  13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

The new reissue of this just came out on LP. Is this new Sinatra LP reissue campaign generally well received? I'm bummed there's no more mofis!

14. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

The new remastered version is now in the German iTunes store. I won't get it - I have the fantastic MFSL SACD!

15. teag

teag Forum Resident

The MFSL SACD is certainly fantastic (I bought 2, just in case). The newly released vinyl is now out and it will be interesting to see how it sounds. One thing I worry about is the length of music that will have to go on each side. Well over the optimal (according to Kevin Gray) 17-18 minutes I believe. The MFSL Silver box version is so so IMO. Here's hoping for the new one to excel!

16. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I have the 2104 MFSL SACD and an original Capitol D pressing LP, I'm happy!

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Nice. How do the 2 compare? Do they sound similar at all?

18. rxcory

I think so, especially in terms of tone and dynamic range. My LP is in very good condition given its age and I still put it on when I want the romance of spinning a record (this is my significant other's favorite Sinatra record) but the MFSL SACD is just a hair more detailed, clear, crisp, while maintaining all the pleasant tone and sound quality of the D pressing. If MFSL had had the chance to issue their LP as well in 2014 as originally planned, how cool that would have been.

Simon A, RogerB, bozburn and 2 others like this.
  19. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I also have the MFSL SACD and agree it sounds wonderful! Last night I ordered the MFSL SACD's of No One Cares and Point Of
    No Return!! Never heard either one of those albums so really looking forward to getting them!!

This Sinatra trip I'm on is a fun one indeed!!!

rxcory and Simon A like this.
  20. rxcory

If you like Songs For Swingin' Lovers and don't already have A Swingin' Affair, I most highly recommend that one too.
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-100489...umbered-limited-edition-hybrid-mono-sacd.aspx

Simon A and DLant like this.
  21. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I think Swingin' Affair is a better album IMO.

Peace and love✌

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thats nice. But they are both great albums. No reason not to enjoy them both.

23. MLutthans

It's a full-ish disc, yes, but it's also mono, so optimal running times are different.
    The MFSL box LP is mastered from wrong tapes (reverb added).
    I agree with rxcory's sentiment here, and if you want to actually a bit of what he's talking about, I have audio clips from six (!) different "D"-cut original LPs plus the MFSL hybrid disc here.

mpayan, bozburn and rxcory like this.
  24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks - I will listen to those. Regarding the optimal running time for a side of an LP, I was unaware it is different for mono. What is the optimal running time for mono?

Millington likes this.
  25. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

MarkusGermany, Millington and rxcory like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.