Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Songs for Swingin' Lovers - Released 1956*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Cool! (my wallet is not saying 'cool', it's saying "no, no, no...")

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Yes, but apples vs. oranges, as those other two (Dell and MFSL) are sourced from wrong tapes, Dell using reverb-added tapes, and the MFSL using a screwy assortment of who-knows-what tapes, with different sound from song to song.

Simon A likes this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Have they also done a new release of Only The Lonely?

DLant likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

DLant, Simon A and chacha like this.
  5. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

One big question on the MFSL SACD. IF I don't have an SACD player, are we all recommending getting the Songs for Swingin' Lovers still? Not sure if the recommendation is contingent on having an SACD player. I have a very good CD player that also does high rez, but it would only read the PCM portion of the disc I'm assuming.

Second, I love the dynamics of the 2016 LP but Frank's voice sounds hollow and an obvious digital transfer. Wish they could combine the depth and warm of the original gray label pressing with some extension in the bass and treble of the orchestra. Still waiting for that perfect remastering I guess.

Richard--W likes this.
  6. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

IMHO, the CD layer sounds great. I don't have SACD player either, so CD layer is the only way that I can listen. It is best sounding release out there.

basie-fan, ClausH, scobb and 4 others like this.
  7. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I agree with drbeachboy, the MFSL is a hybrid disc and the redbook layer sounds phenomenal. The SACD layer is the same mastering, just at a higher resolution. Get it while you still can.

basie-fan, SteveM, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  8. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

This is a rather easy question to answer: there is only ONE decent mastering of this album on CD - and it is the MFSL release. The previous four (!) official masterings are unlistenable once you've heard the MFSL one or the "clean" transfers of selected tracks in the "Capitol Years" 3 CD box set.

Richard--W, bozburn, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Should anyone misunderstand, the Mobile Fidelity release he's referencing is the current hybrid disc, NOT the gold CD from the 1990's, which comes from the wrong tapes.

Richard--W, bozburn, Simon A and 4 others like this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

2014 hybrid SACD (left); 1990 gold CD (right):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. I'd just like to add my voice of approval to the group of happy customers with the MFSL hybrid disc (2014). I only ever play the Redbook layer in my main Hi-Fi system as I can only access the High Resolution layer via my AV Blu-ray player (which is not exactly an audiophile's dream) and it isn't connected to my main gear and or even of the same calibre anyway. The Redbook sounds incredible but do I still need the UMe vinyl LP? :waiting:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  12. MLutthans

IMO, no.

SteveM likes this.
  13. chacha

How about getting an original grey label Capitol? They're pretty easy to find and most sound great.

14. Timeless Classics

I plan on getting both, the MFSL hybrid disc and an early pressing on vinyl (grey label or 9:00 pressing). There a maybe five Sinatra albums that for me, seem to rise above the rest and are pure magic from start to finish (not saying the others aren't good in their own right). A couple variations of such iconic albums are always nice to have.

Simon A likes this.
  15. I'm sure finding one in the States is "pretty easy" but over here, finding anything of that vintage in clean condition is like looking for a needle in a haystack. There aren't many good bricks and mortar record shops any more and buying on-line is a total crap shoot, not to mention most copies are in the States and there's exorbitant shipping to add on top. I like the thought more than the reality.

chacha likes this.
  16. chacha

Yes understood. I didn't realize you live in England.

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

To find one that has not been beat to death or suffers from groove damage from the album being played on inferior turntables from days gone by? Not so easy in my experience. In fact, very difficult.

luckyno13, MMM, MLutthans and 2 others like this.
  18. chacha

I guess it depends on where you live. I've found a few nice copies in the Bay Area for cheap no problem. Gave a couple to friends. Haven't looked in a couple of years though.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I know we kind of gripe about how Mr Sinatra's catalogue hasnt been well served. But it is being served in the last 5 years as well as it ever has been as far as improvements in sound quality.

The Sinatra 100 series (the good ones from it), the handful of really good mfsl and then a bit of digging to get some clean copies of what Matt's scorecard will point one to are by far an improvement of the old days of scouring ebay for grey labels and 9 o'clock's. In the past you'd end up spending 100's of dollars and hours of time trying to find a clean copy of classic Capitol Frank Sinatra albums on ebay.

Could things be better as far as reissues? Certainly. But it is much easier than ten years back when I had to read and read the archives here to try and figure this stuff out. And then try and hunt down the stuff. We got it much better now Id say.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    basie-fan, TimM, Beaneydave and 2 others like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Lucky you my friend. Not been my experience at all.

chacha likes this.
  21. chacha

I was lucky. I think my copy was $4 in great shape. I found one recently that was earlier with the Frank looking away cover,which I hoped would sound even better, but it was a bit dull so I returned it.

22. MLutthans

In my experience, this is a very tough one to find in a mint-ish pre-1962 original. Finding VG is fairly easy; VG+ not too uncommon, but challenging. NM? Really difficult! YMMV, of course.

To piggyback on what @mpayan was talking about, I find the frustrating thing about the reissues to be their inconsistency. It's surprising how we get "go to" versions of one title replaced side-by-side with screwed up editions with bad sound. It's nuts! That said, some of the good ones are really, really good!

mpayan likes this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I spent a good bit of money trying to find a clean "In The Wee Small Hours". Same with "SFSL's". NM? Heh, more like N-possible.

Anyway, I did have fun searching. At least initially lol. It could get obsessive ;)

Simon A and mick_sh like this.
  24. Timeless Classics

I just purchased a NM grey label of "In The Wee Small Hours". Looks never played without a mark, but the real test is when it goes for a spin this weekend. This was after returning a bunch of copies for the same reasons noted above. Hopefully my journey ends for this album.

mpayan and Simon A like this.
  25. chacha

I would never have NM expectations on this stuff. I'm usually happy with VG+.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.