Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Songs for Swingin' Lovers - Released 1956*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

s-l1600-304.jpg
    (Just a pic I stumbled upon on Ebay a few minutes ago.)
    When I was a kid, my dad had quite a few Capitol teal or grey label LPs from the 1955-1957 era, and there's still something about them that just looks "right" to me. Very handsome and classy looking, and a total "nostalgia trip" (back to my childhood) for me!

2. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

I agree! It took me years to find that pressing of the album, and it's my favorite out of all of my "Songs for Swingin' Lovers." Pity the vinyl is in such bad shape, but boy, is it classy!

rangerjohn, paulmock and MLutthans like this.
  3. TimM

TimM Senior Member

My story is very similar. I was fortunate to inherit a lot of records from my dad and the gray Sinatra ones including this one are still the ones I cherish the most. If I am being honest though, my go to version for listening to this album is the SACD from a few years ago. I think dad would understand though.

rangerjohn, MMM and MLutthans like this.
  4. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Found the Walsh 1987 disc at the thrift store the other day for $1.20.

Also picked up a Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver for $18.

rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I picked up a uk Songs For Swingin Lovers
    Rainbow label W1653-2N side one
    W2653-IN side two
    Sounds very nice too but the cover has Frank looking left ( the original art work he looks old on it!) which I thought was on US copies only - I assume this can’t be from ‘56 with a rainbow label ( can it?) but when was the cover art changed?
    The record looks almost mint been well looked after.

Anyone?

Peace and love✌

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And you never know for sure if that record itself came in that cover itself. Switches do occur, just for condition reasons.

7. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Those are the UK first matrices, on a repress from roughly 1959. Some of those did have the older "Frank facing away" cover. Nice find in such great condition. This was the first UK number 1 album, btw.

MLutthans and Beaneydave like this.
  8. You were right on the money, especially as it's worked out for me. When I originally asked the question I didn't have a decent player for SACD discs, just Redbook. That's all changed now and accessing the Hi-Res layer of the disc only makes me glad I didn't buy the LP unnecessarily.

MLutthans likes this.
  9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

What is the Forum's concensus of the MFSL Songs For Swingin' Lovers?;

10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

There’s a separate thread for that one. SPOILER ALERT: That release gets a lot of well-earned praise.

(MODERATOR COMMENT: POSTS MOVED TO THIS THREAD.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2018
  11. MLutthans

LP, or SACD? Two very different beasts.

CBackley likes this.
  12. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

I just bought the UMe LP of this album. Fantastic stuff. Really warm and wonderful sound, with a full-bodied presence. Worth every penny, and pleasantly surprised for being a Universal product.

This must be a DMM pressing? There's a lot of deadwax here for a 15 song LP. I figure the "Made in Holland" label might be a clue.

Why would Capitol disassemble an album reel that was pieced together using the best sources for the MFSL project?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  13. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Also, if Frank's gone to the trouble of changing Porter's lyric to "before this record spins to a close", the A&R folk should've made "Anything Goes" the final track of the album.

Incidentally, Cole Porter would've hated the lyric substitution. At least Frank's not his worst offender (Anita O'Day really takes "You're The Top" to town) :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    aza14782 likes this.
  14. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Always found the position of "Anything goes" perfect! Always understood it like this: "before this record spins to a close (with "How about you")."

paulmock and rangerjohn like this.
  15. zoltantamas

zoltantamas Forum Resident

Today my japanese pressing from 80's arrived. Looks really well, made from hard paper, colours are very clean and bright. Later I'll listen to it too.

Some of you heard the bonus track Memories of you from this one? If yes, what are your opinion s?

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

colormesinatra likes this.
  17. zoltantamas

I've heard it before, I'm just curious how does it sound on this particular issue - sonically, tone etc. On 11fifty there is just a mention of this bonus track, no other info...

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I understand. :) Just posting the track for those who haven’t heard it. Looking forward to your evaluation of the Japan issue.

zoltantamas likes this.
  19. zoltantamas

Oh sorry, I missed it :D

I would love to do it even today, and also many many Sinatras I bought in the last 5 months. Just my new turntable and other Hi-Fi equipment is delayed :/ Will be ripping too, could provide them to @MLutthans to add them to website, as I found I have issues that are not there.

MLutthans, rangerjohn and Bob F like this.
  20. zoltantamas

So I am back, after several months. I am FINALLY able to listen to my japanese copy of this gem in NM condition. The vinyl is dead quiet, the sound is really rich and pleasing. On the bonus track, Memories of you, I hear unnecessarily added reverb and distortion, overally it is OK but not that good as the rest of the album.

After I will get my hands on proper HiFi equipment for ripping, I can rip it for the 11fifty website, if it will be needed.
    Currently I am using:
    Pro-ject DC Evo turntable
    Pioneer A-337 amplifier
    B&W DM 303 speakers

21. MLutthans

It possibly used a dub of the source tape for the previous release on the LP "Like Never Before," which exhibits some definite shortcomings. See: 1973 - Like Never Before .

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    paulmock, rangerjohn and Bob F like this.
  22. BluRayVen

BluRayVen Well-Known Member

This Japanese LP I recently bought with 2 others of Frank from eBay. What stands out (other then the questionable color combo of the label) is the catalog number. Never seen one like that in my decade+ of collection Sinatra [​IMG]

paulmock likes this.
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

How is the sound quality? Neat looking record!

24. BluRayVen

BluRayVen Well-Known Member

My player isn't the best quality so I don't use it often. but the surface of the LP is great, only minor blemish and wear

paulmock likes this.
  25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Arrrghh! My eyes!!

BluRayVen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.