Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Where Are You?" (1957 album)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 13, 2010.

1. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Listening to Where Are You? tonight with the house by myself. There's a 3 song sequence on this album that just slays me
    and I find myself listening to it over and over again! Lonely Town, Autumn Leaves and I'm A Fool To Want You.

Just vocally and passionately and emotionally mesmerizing!!!!! This is just such good stuff. I feel like a kid at Christmas and
    can't believe the whole world doesn't share my experience!

But there's a few of you here that do!

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Of course, as originally released, there was a side-flip after the first of those three songs, but yes, it's a pretty powerful trio of performances.

RogerB likes this.
  3. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Matt I did not know that! Grasshopper here has much to learn!

4. MLutthans

Nah, you (and we all) are doing just fine. :)

Bob Belvedere and RogerB like this.
  5. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I was thumbing through the Pignone book at Barnes and Noble last night and in it was a shot from this session. From what I could make out, it looked like Frank's music said "I Cover the Waterfront."

Perhaps someone with the book can confirm.

MLutthans likes this.
  6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

If you mean the b&w photo with Gordon Jenkins on page 111 (facing page has one with Peggy Lee), your eyes are better than mine. It does look like the first letter of the title may be "I". If correct that it's "I Cover the Waterfront," that pegs this as the session of April 29, 1957.

Another possibility is "I Think of You," which would make it May 1, 1957.

7. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Seems up thread someplace there was mention that the clock read just a little after 9 pm. "Waterfront" was the first song recorded that night, and as I think we've seen with other sessions (the Septemper CDWM comes to mind), many of the pics were snapped early on in the session. Conversely, "I Think of You" was recorded at the end of the May 1 session.

Bob F likes this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

"I Think of You" was the second song recorded on May 1, but you're right: Both sessions started at 9 p.m., and "I Cover the Waterfront" was first on April 29. This is the photo with the clock:

[​IMG]

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

My mistake regarding "I Think of You." I was using this site as reference, and it says otherwise.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I could be mistaken also, but I was using the order shown in Silva's discography. According to the master numbers, "I Think of You" should be last. But all of those numbers are out of sequence with those of the previous session, and Silva takes his data from the session sheets, I think. There's something strange about that master number sequence.

11. MLutthans

Is that Felix Slatkin in the booth?
    0337_1749b.jpg

12. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Re: Session of May 1, 1957
    Nothing to do with the photo theorizing, but more info is found in the O'Brien & Sayers discography. They agree with the song order shown by Silva, with the addition of two footnotes:

E16863 – Where Are You?
    E16869 – I Think of You
    E16867* – I'm a Fool to Want You
    E16868† – Maybe You'll Be There

* Note: Master number was later changed by Capitol to E17040.
    † Note: Master number was later changed by Capitol to E17041.

jtaylor likes this.
  14. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

AFM sheets have been known to list songs out of sequence, whether or not that's how they were actually recorded. Without being able to listen to session tapes start to finish, it's virtually impossible to know for sure.

Bob F likes this.
  15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I think it's a safe bet, though, that the Jazz Discography site you linked was putting them in master number order (using outdated numbers). I've checked two more books (Ridgway and Ackelson), and they both show the order I listed above.

There's still the question of why the master numbers are out of sequence with the previous session. Perhaps there was an earlier, undocumented session for these four songs?

16. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Agreed. And just for good measure, the Ruppli discography uses your order as well.

Bob F likes this.
  17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The photo I posted above from the new Howick book actually shares a page with another we haven't seen yet in this thread:

[​IMG]

18. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Ya know, the title on that bottom photograph looks pretty short..."Laura"??? Although, that would completely discredit my theory that the photographs were all taken at the beginning of the session.

19. MLutthans

I can check later, but thought I'd ask here first, in case anybody knows: Is "I Think of You" performed in the key of E Major?

20. MLutthans

(Continuing from above)

"I Cover the Waterfront" is in the key of E Major, and here's why I was asking about that key:
    Screen shot 2015-11-24 at 8.31.16 PM.jpg
    Whatever this song is, it appears to be in the key of E (4 sharps - the top stave appears to show four sharps, plus the "4/4" time signature). It also appears to start with "I," and if it's in the key of E, then at the far right edge of this detail above, that's a low C#-D# on beat four, which would correlate with the notes on "and I'm," as in "and I'm covered by a starless sky above."

It's not a lot to hang my hat on, but it's the best I can do.
    DSC_0132 cropped.jpg

?????

21. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

This picture is not just cool -- it's INSANELY cool!!! :D :winkgrin:

22. MLutthans

It's SOLID!
    [​IMG]
    R-3184332-1344023171-6614.jpeg.jpg

23. MLutthans

@Brian W. sent me a very nice message this evening regarding a Billboard article (or, more accurately, an entire issue of Billboard) that I had not looked at in a few years (link here), and in it, there is a photo from the same session as above:
    Screen shot 2016-03-02 at 8.26.51 PM.png
    (Thanks, Brian!)

jtaylor, Simon A and MMM like this.
  24. MLutthans

Another photo, one that appears uncropped (and 12x12") in a Dutch 3-LP Capitol set called "The Voice."
    2012maerz2.-124.JPG
    It's the same photo used on the cover of the UK release, Twenty Golden Greats:
    R-543373-1319979060.jpeg.jpg R-543373-1319979068.jpeg.jpg

Simon A and Bob F like this.
  25. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

I have that picture titled "Autumn in Sinatra" hanging in my hallway.

You can see it online under Gary Moritz. I don't know how to add a photo.

And I have the CD "Twenty Golden Greats" one of if not the first Sinatra CD's I bought.

Simon A likes this.