Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Where Are You?" (1957 album)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 13, 2010.

1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Listening to the MFSL SACD for the first time in a while. What a great sounding release of this artistic album.

CBackley and Simon A like this.
  2. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

Sorry if someone has posted already but is there a good image online of the black and white photo of frank smoking that is the basis for the cover?

3. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I believe I’ve seen @Bob F post one before.

Bob F likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

See above in this thread… Post #283.

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

zwolo likes this.
  6. zoltantamas

zoltantamas Forum Resident

Just bought the new mono MFSL LP, brand new and sealed, from one italian LP shop I found last night :D Was very lucky to find this still sealed and just for 49 €. I heard samples of it, so my expectations are high.

7. zoltantamas

Hi! So today I finally received my copy of this album, released by MFSL, with number 1120, and surprisingly without any damage, no corner damages, so I am really happy. The record is still sealed. I can not play it yet, because I am yet to receive my new Pro-Ject turntable, but what can I say now about this issue is my sadness about the quality of the front and back cover images. They really seem like a low dpi scans, and also the front cover has white border - who know why??

But the aesthetics aside, I am really looking for hearing it too, because I have heard very good reviews on it.

What is your experience with this?

8. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

I was just seeing on the 11fifty site some audio clips from the "Reel to Reel" edition of "Where Are You?". My God, what a beautiful sound, eat Frank's voice hot and pure at the same time. How imprisoning. As soon as I can, I get the tape, even though some tracks are omitted.

In fact, "I'm a Fool To Want You" was included in this beautiful collection.

Centurion likes this.
  9. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

thanks, never knew that reel to reel tapes sound like this

Artur Torres likes this.
  10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

The Reel to Reel version although incomplete is my favourite version of this album in stereo.

11. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Hank Sanicola, I believe.

MLutthans and paulmock like this.
  12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Click on the photos about 3/4ths of the way down the page to hear audio clips from the original 2-track Where Are You reel: Where Are You? - 1957 .

hodgo, Flaming Torch and roda12 like this.
  13. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

thank you so much Matt!
    -David

MLutthans and Artur Torres like this.
  14. zoltantamas

From the samples that are available on the 11fifty I surely agree with @MLutthans . Would love to see reissued that partical reel-to-reel mix on vinyl or SACD.

Centurion, hodgo and Artur Torres like this.
  15. hodgo

It's a fabulous mix isn't it? It's my goto version for stereo and is my favourite Sinatra album, it along side the mono version gets played a lot in chateau hodgo.

16. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

The Alan Dell stereo is also nice.

The mfsl mono is nice as well, but to me it almost sounds too clean for my taste. it has some kind of artificial flavour to it. really don't know what it is that bothers me. I prefer listening to the original mono Lp, although not half as spectacle as the mfsl.

zoltantamas and hodgo like this.
  17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m afraid to listen to the reel-to-reel clips because it likely will make me want a R2R machine so I can have this version of Where Are You, and that’s not going to happen.

18. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Exactly my thoughts! hahaha

Artur Torres and CBackley like this.
  19. Centurion

Centurion Forum Resident

Superb mix, completely nails the atmosphere. I too would love to hear the reel-to-reel mix of the complete album. Ah, we can dream :)

20. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

My dad has a mint reel to reel machine problem is I don't have this tape. :realmad:

21. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

but I assume it is hard to find a reel tape in good shape? have no clue

hodgo and zoltantamas like this.
  22. hodgo

My guess is it would be almost possible to find a tape in great shape. The digital transfer that I have is I believe taken from a combination of 2 or 3 separate tapes.

Here is the Discogs listing..... Frank Sinatra with Gordon Jenkins And His Orchestra - Where Are You?

[​IMG]

roda12 and Artur Torres like this.
  23. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Anyone know what is incomplete re the reel to reel tape? I do not have a copy but will ask a friend to look out for a digital version of the tape. I have a bunch of 1970s albums by various artists as high resolution files of official reel to reel tapes.

24. hodgo

If you click on the Discogs link I referenced above you will see the track listing of the nine song reel.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Compared to the original 12-song (mono) vinyl release, three songs are missing: “The Night We Called It a Day,” “I Cover the Waterfront,” and “I’m a Fool to Want You.” Complete details on Matt’s (@MLutthans) website:

Where Are You - Abridged Stereo Editions

Flaming Torch, teag, CBackley and 2 others like this.