Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "Come Swing with Me" (1961)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Full disclosure: I've spent virtually zero time with SHE SHOT ME DOWN, GREAT SONGS FROM GREAT BRITAIN, or WATERTOWN, so I'll give those the benefit of the doubt, out of fairness. I know a lot of people have spoken highly of the new SHE SHOT ME DOWN and WATERTOWN, especially, so they (the albums, I mean) are very likely worth checking out, no?

As far as the titles I've actually spent time with:

•Come Fly with Me in mono? Probably the best of the HD bunch, mastering-wise.
    •Maybe Sinatra and Swingin' Brass, although it's a pretty revisionist remix (of a mix that was in dire need of revision) that brings its own brand of offbeat funkiness to the table, and could probably use a little revising

The rest run the gamut from poor to pretty good, I think, but none would be my "go-to" copies. Mostly it's a case of "The emperor has no clothes," IMO. (Sorry to be a poo-poo-er.) If I hadn't worn the shoes outside, I'd take 'em back to Nordstrom for a refund, if you catch my drift.

Just my opinion, which is of no more value than anybody else's, so whether you take my word for it or somebody else's, listen to the clips at sites like prostudiomasters.com, and if you like what you hear, take the plunge and enjoy the music. That's the main thing.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    CBackley and Bob F like this.
  2. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I've been getting all the HD releases -- because all I have are the CDs -- both the Larry Walsh's and the Norberg's. So from my perspective these have all contained a lot of pluses. A few downsides, but upgrades nonetheless. They're not as "refined" as the MoFi SACDs though. But decent.

If you look at them for what they should have been -- it's frustrating. Weird mixing and/or anomalies, some compression. But if you're like me, looking to get better than what I've had -- for the most part, I'm happy. But I don't like having to pay close to MoFi prices for what is only decent. The MoFi's would have been ones to retire with. Thankfully we got the few we did.

In the end -- did Sinatra deserve better? Yes. Why you would not put your "best guys" on the job, escapes me. Then again... maybe they did. At least they gave us hi-res and LP. So they're trying. And I've enjoyed them all.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    CBackley and bferr1 like this.
  3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

great post, and I can really appreciate your opinion. quite honestly, of the 5 HD titles I've purchased thus far (CFWM, ITWSH, SASB, SFYL WT) I've been very happy with them all - and the new vinyl copy I have of CFWM sounds wonderful. there are some obvious things that can be nitpicked, but they sound excellent through my system and my wife, and I have enjoyed the heck out of them. there's no doubt that better could have been done with some of them, but I've not heard anything so egregious that I'd attempt to ask for my money back.

I really do want to check out the new Come Swing With Me! but unfortunately the very nice PSM coupon for 20% has expired. Blah.

4. Pants Party

I hear ya. Coupons are a must. It's frustrating knowing that the packaging costs incurred by UMe for these HD releases has been to simply locate and scan a cover -- and the distribution costs, little more than emailing some files to HDtracks and ProStudioMasters.com. :mad:

They could have passed the savings on to us. But no. 18 bux for SFYL. :shrug: I paid like 10 or 15 bux for the Music For Pleasure CD of Swing Easy/SFYLs. And that required packaging, printing, CD materials, shipping.,. etc.

Pioneers take the arrows, I get that... but the record labels are in no position to be using arrows. And do they have to dip them in poison first? :yikes:

MarkusGermany likes this.
  5. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I've only listened to the download CSWM! once. First impression was ok., but nothing more. I also own the UKbox version, the Walsh CDand a needle drop in mono.
    The CDWM! download on the other hand is my favourite. The UKbox version sounded tinny to me and the Walsh CD was always only "so so" IMO.

6. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I downloaded all of the new remasters, but I will pass on any upcoming Capitol title which I already have from MFSL as SACDs or GoldCDs! :laughup:

7. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Are you sure? Just listened to the MFSL of Nice 'n Easy and still think that it sucks big time, distortion on the vocals is horrible. Don't know whether something went wrong with the mono pickup in the studio or the digital transfer (don't own the mono lp), but this definately leaves room for improvement imo. I do like the MFSL of Only the Lonely, altough the vocal is maybe a bit too upfront in the mix.

8. MLutthans

@Henley : Don't even get me re-started on that soup-city stereo mix for Nice 'n' Easy. :thumbsdow

I was relieved to see recently that somebody agrees with me:
    (Henley, I don't place any fault on MFSL's mastering on the disc that @MarkusGermany was referring to. It's the mix that's the problem.)

MarkusGermany and Henley like this.
  9. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Does anyone think that Universal is going to give us a better mix/remix?
    All in all the MFSL issues are my "go-to" Capitol versions.
    I have 5 versions (I forgot the Norberg CD) of CDWM, but the new remaster is my favourite. Sorry, folks!

10. motionoftheocean

you consider the latter two vastly superior? would love to hear your impressions of the new one.

11. MLutthans

Re: Come Dance with Me:
    Nothing to apologize for! I'm glad you found a version you like. My only thoughts on the new version -- based solely off the clips -- is that it's a little treble-heavy, but not much. (I think I referred to it as a little "tipped up" in another thread.) I know that @MMM dug what he heard, and that says a lot, IMO. That said, there's still something goofy with track 7, even if the rest of the album is fantastic sounding.

CBackley and MarkusGermany like this.
  12. MLutthans

Markus and I have chatted a bit about this off-forum in the last month or so. There is an EU CD out there that's a needledrop of (what sounds like) a US mono LP, and it's not bad for what it is. Whether or not the mono LP *technically* is a fold-down, it is *effectively* a fold-down, meaning that there is nothing different you will notice between taking, say, a 1962 mono LP and comparing it to a 1962 stereo LP with the mono button pushed on your stereo. The balances, reverb levels, etc., are identical in the original mono vs. original stereo "mono-fied." Those 1962 Capitol mono LPs are pretty squished in terms of dynamics, so if you want to hear the album in mono, get a more dyanmic (later) stereo pressing (original stereo mix, still), hit the mono button, and there's your better version of the mono mix, minus the squishies.

The UK mono LP I have absolutely kills my US mono LP. Much, much better tone.

The Walsh CD, of course, is a remix, not merely a remaster, so it's apples vs. oranges. Hard to say it's better or worse, but it's absolutely different.

MarkusGermany and Pants Party like this.
  13. Pants Party

I really like the MFSL CD of Nice 'N' Easy, but now I'm hearing it in my mind "nice and dry" and I'm more than a little intrigued. Is this the mono mix, a different stereo mix?

14. MLutthans

The stereo mix and mono Nice 'n' Easy mix have the same amount of soupiness. (It's a long story, but I think they may have been created simultaneously [or nearly so] from the 3-track raw tapes.) There have been some dry-ish releases of individual tracks here and there, and the 1991 Walsh CD is a very different, somewhat dry remix, with less soup.

15. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I prefer Nice 'n' Beefy, but that's another story for another thread. :)

McLover and MLutthans like this.
  16. motionoftheocean

In the wake of the HD release of this album, I've been spending quite a lot of time with the UK Capitol box CD, and given how I've been listening about 75% of the time these last few days on headphones, I was shocked to hear just how terrible the left channel is for most of "Five Minutes More," and also for part of "American Beauty Rose" though the former is much, much worse. Sounds like a seriously damaged tape that is quite jarring when listened to at close proximity. I could see how one might not notice it to quite the same extent when played through standard speakers, but on headphones it's a disaster. Interestingly enough, however, from the excerpts I've heard on PSM, HDtracks and the Pono Music Store, it seems like those tape defects have been removed on the new HD master. Granted, I've not been able to hear the song in completion, but the pieces I've heard certainly don't bear anywhere close to what's on this Capitol disc.

Regardless, I quite like the sound of the UK box disc and I don't share any of the criticisms I've seen leveled at that release in here.

17. MLutthans

Beef hasn't appeared in that context for years. Time for a cameo:
    Sinatra-,-Frank-Nice-n-Beefy.jpg
    ----------------------

Back to Come Swing with Me.....
    This album should BLOW YOUR PANTS OFF with dynamics. Almost literally, anybody who listens to a well-mastered version of this album should have major pants issues. It's humongous brass on the left and humongous brass on the right, plus a great rhythm section. Remember "The Wham of Sam" album? This is the "The Double-Wham of Frank" album.

I'm not exaggerating when I say there is one release -- one -- that has wide-open, unrestrained dynamics, and that's the 1983 MFSL LP. I have no idea why nobody else seems to be able to open up the sound of their pants -- I mean, "this album" the same way, but every other release has compromised dynamics, and I don't mean subtle little differences that only some nit-picky jerk like me is going to notice. I'm talking about serious differences in quality and tone. (....and I'll say for the umpteenth time, YES, the MFSL is about 10% brighter than it should be -- no argument from me on that -- but everything else about it is fantastic to my ears. Turn down your treble half a notch, or burn yourself a very mildly tweaked digital file, and you'll smash the competition.)

Side two, especially, is vastly different sounding on the MFSL LP vs. the UK CD.
    Screen shot 2015-02-20 at 12.37.23 AM.png
    MFSL LP left; UK box CD right.

I show the numbers just as a shorthand expression. The main thing is: They SOUND notably different. Clearly, the HD format must be unable to contain wide dynamics.

Or the mastering is subpar and introduces compression where it's not needed.

...and it's not a situation of "MFSL needs to get their hands on this," although I'd be okay with that, as they tend to do a good job with this stuff. It's a matter of finding somebody to sympathetically master the material.

There is one track that was well mastered from this album on the 1980s UK CD, "20 Golden Greats." It may not be quite "MFSL quality" in the eyes of some, but pretty good. Maybe a hair of noise reduction (maybe), but largely "unfutzed." Here are three brief clips that start with the 1998 UK CD (compressed dynamics; flat top end), then repeat the same segment from "20 Golden Greats." Both use the original mix. The "20 Golden Greats" is a definite improvement over the 1998 CD, which is, from what I've heard, superior to the 2015 HD version. Have a listen, if you wish: https://app.box.com/s/zc51gfslnmpcdi75mfat0qpkwqu2s483

EDIT:
    (The first 90 seconds of the song are on the ProStudioMasters website, so I'm not giving away any free music here.) Just how far off-balance is the HD version? Here is a comparison that changes sources with each vocal phrase in this order: 20 Golden Greats - HD - 20 Golden Greats - HD - 20 Golden Greats - HD. I'm confident you will have no difficulty in spotting the right-heavy HD version. (Also, notice how nice the mastering is on 20 Golden Greats. The only reason we have not had a truly fantastic CD/digital version of COME SWING WITH ME is the lack of will to make it happen. This track sounds very, very good on that old UK CD.) Here's the track: https://app.box.com/s/226cj6ozfz1gzhwgqusgs44zu5xx5b3j

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd bet a limb on it, along with a stack of black boxed CDs.

To my ears, the HD version sounds more "unfutzed", EXCEPT that it's too right channel heavy. Whether you like that sound (of the original mix) is a matter of taste I guess, though it strikes me as pretty hands off and basically honest, aside from the balance issue (and that "fix" you found before). Why it's off balance though, I can't say...

19. motionoftheocean

there must have been quite a lot of "futzing" done to remove the likely tape flaws present on the previous iteration of this mix.

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

What I meant was eq, compression/limiting, noise reduction/other processing, etc. It strikes me as rather unfutzed with in those ways. A shame it's off balance, which IS throwing off the music/presentation beyond image shift.

21. MLutthans

By "previous incarnation," do you mean the 1998 UK CD in the boxed set? If so, I think that's just a matter of the UK disc being mastered from UK (dub) tapes, with the obvious problems there likely being problems that are unique to that particular tape. I think it's a safe bet that the new HD versions are prepared from US tapes housed at Iron Mountain.

22. motionoftheocean

Oh, my mistake then. For some reason, I thought I'd read elsewhere that they used the same source. And wow, I didn't know the UK box used dubs.

23. MLutthans

I'm pretty sure the UK CD box (1998) used MOSTLY (there are exceptions) UK dub masters, while the UK LP set (1984/1985) used mostly digital copies of US tapes. Both sets are MOSTLY well-mastered, though, so I'm not too concerned with the original/dub situation. They sound good....

newt1.jpg
    ....mostly.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    CBackley likes this.
  24. teag

teag Forum Resident

After looking at Matt's scorecard which named the MFSL silver box LP the winner, I pulled out my copy of the same. Vocals sound great but that split between the left and right for the horns is aggravating! A press on the mono switch made for a much better listen. This is one title I have not listened to very much. Not sure why, but it will most likely get more plays from here on out.

25. MLutthans

For that very reason, it's common for people to gravitate toward the mono version. (The stereo does not bother me one bit, but "different strokes," of course!) Here's an old post that you may find interesting/germane:
    My usual disclaimer: I have no doubt that a "mono master" set of tapes exists for this album, and it may well be a dedicated mix, as has been stipulated. That said, there are zero differences in balance between between the mono mix and the stereo mix summed to mono. Reverb levels are the same, instrumental balances are the same, vocal vs. instrumental balances are the same, so whether or not it is TECHNICALLY a fold-down, the mono mix functions as a fold-down. There is one fly in the ointment that points me to this actually being a fold-down, and that is the piano overdub (or tape-to-tape superimposition???) on "Yes, Indeed." It's *not* on the 3-track tapes, yet it *is* on the original stereo mix ("hard left"), and is identically there on the mono mix. How does it appear on the mono mix unless the mono mix is derived from the stereo mix? That's my lingering question, I guess.

Also:

teag and MMM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.