Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "Come Swing with Me" (1961)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

It's from the contact sheet of a bunch of photos that appears within the 4-CD Ultimate Sinatra set. IIRC, the other photos that appear up-page in this thread are also on that contact sheet, so I assume that they are from the same roll of film, or at least from the same session.

MMM likes this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That will teach me to look at something off-angle and too light...I thought that was a splay before. That doesn't seem right...maybe an instrument case?

3. MLutthans

I think it may just be the angle.
    UltimateSinatra 7b.jpg

CBackley likes this.
  4. MLutthans

Going back five years:
    From yesterday:
    [​IMG]
    Looks like he may be playing mallet percussion:
    UltimateSinatra 7c.jpg
    Larry Bunker, possibly? Here's a photo from four years prior, with him on the far right:
    R-2849078-1439423429-1706-1.jpeg.jpg

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I guess so. Gives a different enough look...

6. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

Is the newer HD download from Pro studio masters download the original stereo mix? It sounds that way to me, but wanted to be sure.

7. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

To my ears it sounds like the original mix. But the MFSL LP sounds a little drier in terms of reverb.

8. MLutthans

There are some session pics just a few posts up-page, and here are session pics already posted in this thread on previous pages:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] 00602547197078-cover-zoom.jpg [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    bozburn, rxcory and MMM like this.
  9. MLutthans

Another:
    $_32.JPG

Here's one that is backwards on a Pickwick album cover:
    R-1439634-1445446422-7205.jpeg.jpg
    .....reversed below:
    R-1439634-1445446422-7205.jpeg.jpg
    An already-posted black-and-white shot:
    [​IMG]
    ....now in color:
    R-7942904-1452146915-4247.jpeg.jpg
    One more???
    [​IMG]
    ...or no?

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Been here before, but just felt like chiming in again. For s%^ts and giggles I pulled out a beautifully clean OP MONO of this LP. It is really, really good! You get the pressure of the "ping-pong" taken away and just enjoy the music. Groovy stuff.

CBackley likes this.
  11. MLutthans

....and the UK mono (at least the copy I have) is even (IMO) better than the US copies I've heard.

CBackley and paulmock like this.
  12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I really need to track down a better copy of this album. It’s probably my least favorite of his Capitol albums, but still. I only have the Mastered for iTunes version, the UMe vinyl reissue, and the Norberg CD. The Walsh CD is on its way from the UK right now, but I see above that it’s a bit of a stinker.

The 1983 MFSL is probably a bit much for an album I don’t love. I’ll need to read the old scorecard pages to see what other version I should track down. The Alan Dell LP perhaps?

Yeah, okay, so I’m looking to acquire a FIFTH copy of an album that I’ve admitted is my least favorite in his Capitol catalog. That’s what this website does to you...That being said, a better sounding version could help me appreciate some of the finer aspects of this album that haven’t hit me yet. The darn ping pong stereo distracts me. I’ve never really noticed the percussion before.

13. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

[​IMG]
    "Come Swing With Me" is one of Fank's albums that I love the most. It seems psychedelic to me so very different from many of his albums. There are no Saxophones and no ropes suit, but the rhythmic section and the metals take a very warm swing. It's a sound that sounds sensual and exotic to me.

From the versions that I could hear of this album, the one I like the most is the 2015 Hi-Res. I think the sound is more balanced, the midrange and the bass are more valued than in the MFSL LP pressing and there are no tape transcript as in the CD remixed by Larry Walsh. From the original Mono and Stereo LPs I can not say why I've never heard them sound at all. The only one I do not like the digital edition is the drop-out that is at the beginning of the "Lover" track.​

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  14. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

If my memory serves me, on the digital version, the end fades are shaved off a bit, as our host calls it, 'helping the fade'.

15. Artur Torres

Looking better, the digital version for me is on an equal footing with the MFSL LP of 1983. But the MFSL LP has a better audio transcription.

16. Artur Torres

Despite the compression, I'm sure this mix is from Larry Walsh because it has a tape transcription error at 00:20.

But I come to talk about this mix of "American Beauty Rose" for a reason: It is, possibly, the only one that corrects a volume error perceived in other stereophonic mixes, that occurred in the recording after the bridge of the arrangement. The error, if it were in the other mixes, would be between 01:56 and 02:02.

I advise everyone who reads this to try to listen to the various stereo mixes of this song and they will realize the flaw I am referring to.

17. MLutthans

@Artur Torres -- I will have to confirm, but my recollection is that the dropout at 0:20 is also on the Norberg CD.

Is the error at 1:56 on other releases a balance issue? Not enough vocal? Or something else?

Artur Torres likes this.
  18. Artur Torres

I believe that the error at 1:56, which I noticed in the sound of the MFSL edition, is a matter of balance because, suddenly, Frank's voice is sonically on the same level as the orchestra. Then, the volume of the voice returns to normal.

MLutthans likes this.
  19. MLutthans

Here's something (maybe a little?) interesting to somebody......

9-1/2 years ago in this thread (wow...you other guys haven't aged a bit), we talked about the edit (there's a brief insert piece used to cover a trumpet clam) in "I've Heard that Song Before" that appears on most releases, but remains edit-free (one continuous take) on the Walsh CD, suggesting that the edit was made on the stereo master, but the 3-track was unedited, and yet there is a brief edit at about 0:36 on "Day by Day" that is in the original mixes AND the Walsh remix, so either the splices for that particular edit/insert are on the 3-track tape, or Mr. Walsh spotted the edit on the stereo mix and put the same edit in his mix that was made from the 3-track tape.

Artur Torres, teag and paulmock like this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Ya lost me in the technical...but there is a a "clam" in the trumpet section that prompted Mr. S to do an inner cut. Most noticeable by his singing "It's AH funny how a theme". My ears are growing old.

Artur Torres and MLutthans like this.
  21. MLutthans

Sorry, Paul! I was just saying that on that edit to which you refer, it's different on the Walsh CD versus the other versions, but there's also an edit in Day by Day, and it's the same edit on all the versions, including the Walsh CD. It's a minor point, I assure you!

teag and Artur Torres like this.
  22. MLutthans

Has anybody ever counted up the number of edits on this album? It may give POINT OF NO RETURN a run for its money in that department.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

No...but the famous one for Come Swing is the blown trumpet note on "I've Heard That Song Before" and the edit shown to us for the 1st time in a CD era reissue of the recording.

My FAVORITE story from Point Of No Return is the classic documented by the late Robin Douglas-Home:

The only moment the atmosphere got tense was when the man in the control room said he wanted to re-record an improvised passage on the piano by Bill Miller, put in at Mr. S's suggestion. "Why?" asked Sinatra.

"I don't like it" boomed the the voice through the speakers.

"Well I do. Next tune" answered Sinatra.

And that was that...

My God! I loved that man. Still do. Always will. He had his many grievous faults, but God forbid anyone dared to get in the way of how he perfected the recording and final outcome of his "concept" albums.

Artur Torres and MLutthans like this.
  24. MLutthans

^^^^^Well, it was Frank's world, after all.

On a related note: I am spending some time today with the 1998 UK boxed set CD of this album (Come Swing with Me), and boy....what happened to the tapes on tracks 3, 4, and 5? They are just MANGLED! The first couple of tracks were okay, although there was a little damage on track two, and starting at track three, it's "Tape Damage City." Currently up to track 6, which has less damage.

I think there is also some very subtle clipping off of the beginnings of some tracks.

25. MLutthans

Turns out that after the first two tracks, the splices -- at least the audible ones -- really come to a halt. I spotted splices on tracks 1, 2, and 12, while listening to the UK 1998 CD. It's very possible that there are others, but if so, they are well-enough-done as to not be ear-catching, I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.