Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely" (1958)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Feb 20, 2010.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

2. MLutthans

It's certainly odd. I mean, at some point, somebody had to know the tape was broken, and had to splice it back together with a couple of seconds missing, no? I suspect that's the same thing that happened to "Anytime, Anywhere" in 1953, i.e., the tape broke, and somebody just took it upon themselves to splice it back together, with several inches of tape just missing. (I'd love to know if an un-broken safety master exists for "Anytime, Anywhere" like it did for "One for My Baby" in mono.)

aza14782 likes this.
  3. MLutthans

I also now have a "Winners Page" posted, here: Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - 1958 And the winners are....hard to find »

I always love to hear OTHER people's views on this stuff, so please, opine away!

Some qualifiers that I point out on the website:
    •I think that in terms of points earned for sheer quality of sound, the 1983 MFSL and 1984 "Dell" stereo LPs are absolutely top-tier, BUT they have major tape source problems (rolling dropouts/damage on side two, channels reversed [Dell], mono substitution [Dell]), so I can't fully endorse them with a straight face. When they are "on," they work great, but they are both significantly compromised.
    •I've got a 1970s SM-1053 LP that sounds really nice, but it has rolling dropouts on two songs and is MISSING two songs, so again, I can't get behind that one, despite it's positive attributes.
    •The "One for My Baby" UK LP has all 12 songs in pretty good sound from the original stereo mixes, but has a jumbled running order, so that's off the list.
    •The 1987 CD (and its re-use in the UK box) is pretty good, but it's got some very audible No-Noise going on, so, although it's "basically pretty good," and by far the best stereo CD version, there's no way I think it's "the best" overall.
    •Some people love the mono recording, and I respect that, and it has been well-served by good mastering, but I'm not ga-ga over it. (I go into more depth on the website.)

[​IMG]
    In the end, I've gone with the nearly-impossible-to-find premier release of the 12-strack stereo version, 1972 Australian World Record Club LP #S/5004, as my "winner," with the Dutch "Frank Sinatra Story, Volume 8" 12-track 1973 LP as a close second, even though I admit that the 1983 and 1984 LPs sound better. These 1972/1973 LPs still sound very good on their own terms, and they don't come with the compromises that one has to accept on the other editions. The Dutch LP remained in-print for several years, and is much, much easier to find than the Australian LP, and sounds almost as good.

Much more info here: Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - 1958 And the winners are....hard to find »

Oh, I've also updated the Sinatra/Capitol scorecard: Capitol Scorecard »

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    George C., aza14782, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  4. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

One of the Dutch LPs is currently on the 'Bay at:
    The Frank Sinatra Story Vol.8, 12" LP Record, 1975, Only the Lonely /REC3SS »

and...

I just pulled one of the Aussie LPs from Discogs! Just chillin' there and the price was right! I was NOT expecting that. A couple of years ago I found two copies of the Dutch LP but they were both a bit thrashed, so I'm crossing my fingers that this one from down under turns out to be a good experience.

Thanks, Matt. This particular set of pages must have been your biggest labor of love for a Sinatra album (or at least, right up there). As much as you've written about this album, I was looking forward to reading about it on your pages, and I was not disappointed.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  5. MLutthans

Thanks, John, and I'm stunned that a copy of that Australian LP turned up on discogs, so congratulations on landing one! I just got mine a few weeks ago on Ebay, but I've had my eyes peeled for years and had not seen one turn up until that one I bought.

Simon A and DLant like this.
  6. MLutthans

I should have included one more bullet point:
    •Several of us who frequent this thread did a collective "blind listening" comparison of complete tracks from several versions of the album, and some very positive comments were bandied about regarding my original "D" STEREO pressing that was one of the transfers. I'm not sure that any of us necessarily thought that it was "the best" of those we compared, but it had a unique and very good sound that stood out from the crowd. There was something a little tubey/gooey/yummy about it that was very attractive. (Sadly, like many releases of the album, it's missing two songs, so.....)

7. MLutthans

Simon A likes this.
  8. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

So weird. You must have just snagged it before I was looking for it ... I was on Discogs looking up the Australian LP yesterday afternoon!

9. MLutthans

Yowza, check out the "stock photo" used in this Ebay listing:
    Screen shot 2016-05-26 at 1.32.38 PM.jpg
    "Frank Sinatra Sings for Creepy Elmer's Glue Fans"
    pva-elmers-white-glue.jpg

MMM, bozburn, aza14782 and 1 other person like this.
  10. MLutthans

Today, I picked up yet another (my third, ugh......) copy of SY-4533, the circa 1973 release of this album. Yes, I know it's a cheap-o reissue, and yes, I know that the sound quality on my other two copies is pretty middle-of-the-pack, but those are both H and J cuts, meaning they were cut on a Scully lathe (not that there's anything wrong with that), while my best-sounding SM-1053 pressing from a few years later is an F cut from a Neumann lathe. The SY-4533 LP that I got today is an F5 cut on side two, and sounds excellent (although this particular copy is not in great shape) with NO DROPOUTS, so if you come across a copy of SY-4533 and it's in good shape AND it's got F or G in the deadwax, you might have excellent sound. (It'll still be abridged, but it may sound excellent.)

SY copies are easy to spot because in the upper right under the Capitol logo where it used to say HIGH FIDELITY, the SY copies (exclusively) say STEREO.

Simon A likes this.
  11. MLutthans

Stereo release question:

I thought that Only the Lonely was in Capitol's very first batch of stereo LP releases, November 18, 1958. I'm not questioning that November release date, but am curious about the "Capitol's very first batch" bit after reading this today in the "Capitol Records Annual Report" for year ending June 30, 1959. In a letter from Glenn Wallichs included in that report, dated August 14, 1959, we have this little tidbit of information:
    Screen shot 2016-06-27 at 11.50.00 AM.png
    Anybody know what Mr. Wallichs may have been referring to with that August 18, 1958 date?

MMM and Simon A like this.
  12. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

The date I have for the stereo release of Nat Cole's St. Louis Blues (SW 993) is...August 18, 1958.

MMM, Simon A and Bob F like this.
  13. MLutthans

Well.....there you go! I wonder where the heck I got that "info" about the Sinatra album being in the first batch of stereo LPs from the label? From my cat?

Off-topic a bit, but here's a photo of the Glenn Wallichs Festival Theatre at University of Redlands:
    card00440_fr.jpg

aza14782, Simon A and jtaylor like this.
  14. MLutthans

Do you know of any other titles released in stereo disk on that date? Was that the same release date as the mono version? Do we know a release date for the stereo tape?

15. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I don't know any other titles at the moment, but I'm going to do a little digging -- time permitting -- and will of course report back any findings.

The mono LP was released, per my notes, March 3, 1958. Looking for a date on the tape...

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Matt, if you look back in this thread, you'll find a similar mention of the August 18th date by Jordan. In my post #374, I linked an article from the December 1, 1958 issue of Billboard (same issue we've been discussing in another thread regarding "To Love and Be Loved")—"New Capitol Stereo Sets Pack Quality."

The lead sentence states: "Capitol's latest stereo release of 11 sets, constitutes the strongest yet for the label [...]." OTL was among those sets, but the words "latest" and "yet" imply this was not the first batch of stereo LP releases.

MMM, MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  17. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

From the August 23, 1958 issue of Disc, in an article entitled "It's Stereo."

[​IMG]

Simon A and Bob F like this.
  18. MLutthans

Thanks, Bob. I suspect that somewhere along the way, I got it mixed up with the album being in the first-ever releases on 4-track tape. My goof. I was even down in the weeds in the discussion of that Aug. 18 date, here, which clearly had left my memory at some point. I even posted this in another thread:
    -----------------------------
    -----------------------------
    Thanks, Jordan. Is there a similar list for US releases, I wonder?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Simon A likes this.
  19. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

And from Billboard, September 1, 1958:

[​IMG]

MMM and Simon A like this.
  20. MLutthans

Great! Thanks, Jordan!

21. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

No problem. Who doesn't love a mid-day dig through Billboard?

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  22. MLutthans

I've got 9 of those 16 titles in some format or other, FWIW.

23. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

That's it?! :D

Simon A likes this.
  24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

What he meant to say was: I've got multiple copies of different pressings of 9 of those 16 titles in some format or other. :D

jtaylor likes this.
  25. MLutthans

No, no, no, no, no.......

I think the only one that I have multiple copies of is Stars in Stereo.

Simon A likes this.