Sinatra help!: "Only the Lonely" 2018 reissue (Walsh) vs 1980s CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roanoke Park Indefinitely, Jan 5, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Roanoke Park Indefinitely Forum Resident Thread Starter

For my fellow Sinatra heads (@Bob F ... are you there? :) )

I ADORE my late 80s/early 90s Capitol Sinatra CDs mastered by Larry Walsh. I have heard the horror that is Bob Norberg's Entertainer of the Century masters, which have made Frank's best, painstakingly arranged work sound dull, old and lifeless for a new generation of Spotify listeners. Thanks, Bob!

"Only the Lonely" is my favorite Frank, and one of my favorite albums of all time. And I love Walsh's mastering. Is the 2018 two-disc worth the upgrade? Would I be able to hold on to my 1980s disc and not be missing much?

Also, I'm a mono fan for the likes of the Beatles... but does the mono version of THIS album make much difference?

Thanks!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  2. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

was wondering the same thing - long a favorite album, and i'm a big fan of the 80's walsh master.

i can say that the mono is a unique and rewarding listening experience, but as an owner of the earlier mofi release, i'm covered there.

my curiosity is about the remix itself (i'd have likely picked it up just for the couple outakes, but i've yet to come across a cd copy for less that $25+).

smitquest

3. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Personally, I like the Walsh remixed CD from 1987 for stereo, and the MFSL CD for mono. I only purchased the new CD for the bonus material. Being a traditionalist, I don't like the more "modernized" sound on the newly remixed CD and the more upfront placement of Frank's voice. Others disagree.

4. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

The "Sinatra Scorecard" ranks the 1987 Walsh CD and the 1998 UK reissue of that mix as "top choice for digital stereo." It's the one I have, and it still sounds great. I also have the Capitol Records LP in mono.

Capitol Scorecard

5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I think that this is a very objective and fair minded analysis above. I like the Larry Walsh master a lot, but I probably give the edge to the new two disc deluxe version of Only The Lonely a very slight edge. AJH is accurate as well about Frank's voice being a little more upfront on the deluxe version of the newer edition.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  6. frus75

frus75 Forum Resident

Both releases were done by Larry Walsh. On the 1987, the sound is eerie, in a way that matches the concept of the album. The 2018 remix, shows a more detailed orchestra, you seem to hear more instruments and more clearly, like on the mono mix, but somehow Frank vocal is more upfront, a little too much. It’s weird, because on the 2020 Nice and Easy remix, the contrary happens, as the vocal is a little bit too low.

I really think both versions are a keeper. The old one will always be the spot one, that mix breathes loneliness. And the new one not only brings more detail, but includes session material and the mono mix.

7. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

You've inspired me to do a comparison between my original early mono and stereo pressings, the Walsh CD, and the newer deluxe CD. I'll get back once I've had a chance to dive in :)

8. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Just scored an original Walsh (Made in the USA) CD here in a little town in the UK. Now maybe I will play this album and listen properly as I already had the CD but the Norberg version, which was not a great sounding CD, so I always tended to go for other 'Frank' when in the Sinatra mood.
    Looking forward to firing this CD up on the stereo when I get home.

Jason W likes this.
  9. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Got any news for me?

10. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Sorry, I got super busy and didn't get a chance yet. I'll take them off the shelves now so they stay on my radar :)

11. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Haha. It ain’t exactly homework. Thank you!!!

Jason W likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.