Sinatra - Jobim Complete Reprise Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This is so badly botched in the remix department, I'd prefer the severely worn mono promo which introduced me to this classic, battle scars and all, on the most forensic Shibata profile from Hades making it unlistenable as any trained ear will put up with. That from me speaks a bookshelf.. This new disc is a travesty to Francis Albert Sinatra's legacy. Remaster this from the Dolby A safety tastefully, use the best sources for Sinatra/Jobim available. release it on CD, downloads including hirez, and vinyl, let's get the music back without the annoying distractions. My mono original stock pressing LP in much better condition stays. And when I can find a clean Stereo to file beside it will be acquired.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Truer words have never been said, apileofcole. I'd rather have an honest, well and tastefully mastered "warts and all" presentation than over NR'ed, tastelessly EQ'ed, maximized, brickwalled atrocities. I love and endorse this post. I don't expect 1960's recordings to sound like modern ones. Let's be respectful to the music, and keep the original sound and tonality. Understand why this had to be remixed, as that Scotch 200 series tape was very problematic until 206 came on the market. Tape hiss tells me the mastering is honest.

Larry Walsh, your Capitol Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole masterings are exactly what we love, tastefully and well done. I love them.

CBackley likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Deodata for me. Clearly favored.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Look in my profile, my gear is listed, and I keep it updated as gear changes. My gear is nice, and by quite a few forumites standards, on the modest side.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It is just that, my 1959 original side logo Capitol Stereo LP sounds superb. And one of Frank's finest albums.

6. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I need to find a mono version of this great album. Where should I start looking? Discogs?

7. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Yep

Gardo likes this.
  8. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

History class Sinatra 101

Hear how Sinatra went from TAKE ONE, up to but not including, the final used MASTER of Sinatra/Jobim's "The Girl From Ipanema", it's almost like being there ...

Lonesurf, Beaneydave and jwoverho like this.
  10. The MFSL's are amazing. I have the mono MFSL LP and highly recommend it. I think IIRC that it's Matt's chosen choice for the mono too?

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Which album?

paulmock likes this.
  12. Yes, I think we were talking cross purposes here as I was responding to a comment about Where Are You and someone said they needed to get a mono copy but they might equally have been referring to the Jobim 1967 album?

MLutthans likes this.
  13. Gardo

Sinatra/Jobim, for my query. No MFSL of that title, sadly!

14. MLutthans

Hi, @Gardo!

Keep looking....you will find one. I know that somewhere around here is an old post of mine about the day when I was out Christmas shopping for my mother-in-law with my sister-in-law, and we went to two local "antique malls" and I found one mono Sinatra/Jobim LP at each, after having literally never seen a single copy (in person) in my life. They are "out there."

There are currently a whole bunch of 'em sitting on Ebay.

Gardo, MMM and paulmock like this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I remember that OP by you. That was one heck of a lucky sequence for you.

MLutthans likes this.
  16. Gardo

Thanks! I ordered one last week from Discogs. Fingers crossed it’s as advertised.

Such a sublime album.

MLutthans likes this.
  17. Gardo

The record arrived today. I've listened to two tracks so far. The VG+ grade is a tiny bit optimistic, but so far so good. To my surprise, though, the mono mix isn't thrilling me as much as the stereo mix. There's a strange and majestic isolation to Frank's vocals in the stereo version that may not be as well balanced as the mono mix, but it lets me get closer to his singing somehow. At least that's my first impression.

Another season of study is indicated for Frank and this magnificent album. Could be worse! :)

MLutthans and SteveM like this.
  18. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Thats where I found mine. An USA pressing in little ol' England, so postage was cheap.

19. MLutthans

From back in 2011:
    From the "I need to stop buying this crap" department:
    Yesterday, I was at a shop called Nuggets in Chilliwack, British Columbia, and stumbled upon a mono pressing (Canadian Reprise, pressed by Compo), so I snapped that one up, too. That brings my mono pressing count up to FIVE. Interestingly(?), this Canadian pressing is made from a USA-cut lacquer, and is essentially identical to one of my existing USA pressings, except that right along the label the Canadian pressing has two little hash marks, which I assume means that it utilized a second stamper made from that lacquer's mother (or something along those lines). Both are 1B/1A pressings.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    teag, MMM, TimM and 2 others like this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It's getting close to Only the Lonely territory for you.

teag, MMM and MLutthans like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.