Sinatra - Jobim Complete Reprise Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's what is meant by "features digital remastering" in the [post=5338288]official press release[/post] issued weeks ago. Same as the prior two Concord reissues, i.e. newly mixed.

2. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Thanks! Do we know who the transfer, remix and mastering engineers are for this new release? Which engineers were involved in the recent Sinatra cds that were also remixed?

Any idea if the new Sinatra/Jobim will feature new (2010) transfers and remixes? Or are they dithering down to redbook the high resolution remixes performed from the aborted and still unreleased Sinatra/Jobim DVD-A project of 2003? What ever happened to those unreleased hi-rez remixes?

Thanks!

3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

wondering myself if we will see SACD, DVD-A etc. of this release?

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Credits for MY WAY (40th Anniversary Edition), released May 5, 2009:
    Engineered & Mixed by Larry Walsh
    Audio Restoration by Leon J. Smith III
    Mastered by Dan Hersch/DigiPrep​
    Credits for STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT (Deluxe Edition), released Jan. 26, 2010:
    Engineered and mixed by Larry Walsh
    24-bit remastering by Dan Hersch/DigiPrep​

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Are there any bonus tracks like in the My Way & Strangers in the Night releases? Rehearsals or TV apperances?

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No. Here's the tracklisting from Amazon.com

Track Listings
    1. The Girl From Ipanema [Gârota de Ipanema]
    2. Dindi
    3. Change Partners
    4. Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars [Corcovado]
    5. Meditation [Meditacão]
    6. If You Never Come To Me
    7. How Insensitive [Insensatez]
    8. I Concentrate On You
    9. Baubles, Bangles and Beads
    10. Once I Loved [O Amoren Paz]
    11. The Song Of The Sabia
    12. Drinking Water [Aqua de Beber]
    13. Someone To Light Up My Life
    14. Triste
    15. This Happy Madness [Estrada Branca]
    16. One Note Samba [Samba de Uma Nota So]
    17. Don't Ever Go Away [Por Causas de Voce]
    18. Wave
    19. Off Key [Desafinado]
    20. Bonita

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Note that the song order for the second half of the CD matches that intended for the original unreleased Sinatra-Jobim LP (Reprise #1028). The hastily recalled 8-track used a different order.
    Sinatra-Jobim-8-track 4.jpg

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I pre-ordered this album "blind" (I havn't heard any of this material before) so I'm looking forward to hearing it for the first time. :)

9. Catywampus

Catywampus Forum Resident

Man, you are in for a treat!

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah; the Reprise era is my favorite so I'm particularly looking forward to this.

11. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Amazon copies shipped today!

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I thought the first Jobim/Sinatra album was dreadful for years simply going by the old Reprise $1.00 stereo LP. Drenched in echo, rather listless and lackluster.

When I heard the session tapes and realized that both Frank and the musicians were trying to play and sing as softly as possible for that "feel" that he was going for, my opinion changed and it became my favorite Reprise Sinatra with "I REMEMBER TOMMY" coming in second.

Frank stated on the tapes that it was very hard to sing that soft and he's right, it was a struggle. A unique sound and a worthwhile project for Sinatra.

Great music.

McLover likes this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It is also very clearly described by Stan Cornyn on the liner notes to the album. Mr. S has a quote like "I haven't sung this soft sing I had laryngitis!" He also tells the trombonist not to sweat a blown note as he too was going for the softness of it all.

Things were going so well during those sessions I wish they had recorded ten more songs then and there!

McLover likes this.
  14. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I cannot wait to receive my copy from Amazon.

Could this be the reissue of the year?

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Got my LP in a blank white beat up jacket from Wallach's Music City for 79 cents back in like 1970 or so. Had no use for the album then. Couldn't live without it now.

16. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

No previously unissued songs and (as yet) undetermined sonic quality, make it a long shot for that appellation at this time.

We'll see...:angel:

17. wave

wave Forum Resident

Steve, how do you feel about Sinatra and Jobim's 1969 follow-up?

18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Steve,

I've never read a more heart-touching and warm tribute to Mr. S in all of my years on the various forums! Great words. Thank you!:righton:

19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

This is my favorite Sinatra recording- an absolute classic and unique in his discography (at least to me).

20. bluesbro

So, release date is here. Any good deals/promotions anywhere?

21. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

This is one of my absolute favorite albums of all time. By anyone!

First time I heard it was in college. My roommate had the vinyl for some reason and I was extremely intrigued by the cover. Needing some photos of Sinatra for an art project I borrowed it for a while and it sat in my studio for days. One day I decided to put it on and listen for some inspiration and I was blown away! I was deep into heavy rock and funk at the time so this was a huge revelation for me at the time. It was one of the most perfect, amazing, beautiful things I had ever heard and it hit me hard. I played it over and over all year long.

Years later, after the record (which I kept...sorry, man) and my turntable were long packed up, I bought the cd for my mom and managed to get one for myself as well. My wife and I were still blown away (back when I was playing the record all the time she was merely a friend) and play it for anyone that will listen. This is top shelf material no matter what kind of music you listen to.

I have never heard any of the other tracks (11-20) but I am certainly intrigued. As for the sound of the original vinyl and cd I have always loved both. I can't even think of anything that I would change about it so I wonder what kind of differences would be on the new release.

22. bluesbro

Dissapointed that I could not find this anywhere today. I'll have to order online.

23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I almost didn't find it either, as I did some online searches first for places that check store stock. The closest Best Buy to me didn't list it, and didn't have it. But one about 20 miles away listed it and had just the one copy when I drove up there.

Harry

24. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

yeah I got one coming as well. Didn't need it, wanted it to be great, clearly they missed the mark on my favorite Reprise title, clearly they probably meant to get it right, they didn't...Steves right, this is what'll be in print and sold digitally forever now...a shame...

25. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

There is an interesting anectode about Jobim insisting that the English version include the name "Ipanema" both in the lyrics and the title, like the original. I couldn't find the story on-line now, but he and another guy (I don't remember whether it was the English lyric writer or a record company exec) were in a taxi in the United States when this discussion took place and even the driver added his two cents: "Excuse me, sir (to Jobim), but he's right, no one will know what this Ipanema means." Jobim eventually had his way and made the Rio de Janeiro beach a famous place all over the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.