Sinatra - Jobim Complete Reprise Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

I appreciate your thoughts either way. Is this also possibly a kind of reflection of how voice is regarded differently (at least by many folks today) than other instruments? For instance, imagine if Herb Alpert accidentally but quite obviously "clams" a note on trumpet during a take for let's say, Tangerine; of course he then gets a good take and uses that. Then instead of Herb's remaster, some other entity owns and reissues it for the "new century" so to speak with the bad note in place instead. Wouldn't everyone cringe and go "uh uh!"? Do the same with a vocal and... they get a pass? Not accepting it can be widely called nit-picking, over-reacting? Extra irony in this analogy as the vocalist is Frank Sinatra. Are we just more forgiving for the human voice by nature or so used to lowered standards in that respect? Is it the "it's just an old record" thing or what? Hm.

2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

And, on the Capitol 3 CD 75th birthday set, they missed an inter-cut on "I've Heard That Song Before" where a trumpet blows a REAL clam and Mr.S's vocal is a bit different in the final chorus.

3. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

To some degree.

Though as a dyed in the wool Sinatra fan/recordings collector, I may feel differently (and do.) I think reality is, the bulk of Sinatra's vast catalog are now fairly obscure to the public at large. And there's probably a tiny segment of people out there who really regard something like the Sinatra/Jobim recordings as some kind of watershed moment in music like Sgt. Pepper or something. :)

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm finding the whole situation fascinating, almost akin to the Beatles CAPITOL ALBUMS VOLUME 2 snafu, where the wrong mono recordings were used on two of the discs (fold downs instead of genuine mono mixes).

The difference is that I'm getting the feeling that "the powers that be" simply don't care about Frank's legacy enough to correct the situation. Either that or they're in their early stages of denial before the reality sinks in.

I've now effectively relegated my copy to the shelf as a curiosity, and have recompiled my own set based on older - and correct - recordings, using the new disc's order.

Harry

5. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Why doesn't this surprise me?

6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Concord basically is renting the catalog. The ownership is the family.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Fixing/re-doing the intercuts certainly would take some work; no argument there, but spotting them is relatively easy in the digital age. The now-infamous "clam" at 1:11 on track one is one that I spotted just by ear, from knowing the recording well. Same with the now-wrong bass note that was left in. C'mon! After I found those two differences and had my curiosity piqued, I then dumped the songs into ProTools, synchronized the old version with the new version, and LISTENED INTENTLY for differences! Maybe that step was done by the production team; maybe it was done poorly; maybe it was not done at all; hard to say.

I've been told that the 1998 CD is a remix by original 1967 engineer Lee Herschberg. All the edits/fixes from the original mix are on that CD, so at least as of 1998 the material needed to re-perform those edits was still extant.

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

If they truly care, they'll make this right in some way. If they don't, they'll leave it as is.

Harry

9. DJ WILBUR

That is not going to happen. Cost prohibitive at this point for a redo. No, history altered and so be it.

10. DJ WILBUR

This reminds me of that great scene in the movie Almost Famous when two characters discuss the "whoo" in a Marvin Gaye song. How something so minor makes the tune. Adding a croaky frog note is as insignificant, but if it is the "whoo" moment for a fan, they are crushed. Minor for most, a tragedy for the few fans it matters to.

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It's been mentioned in posts on the Sinatra Family Forum that Universal will be reissuing the previous (i.e. 1998) Sinatra-Jobim CD in June. I believe this may be incorrect. I could be wrong, but if precedent holds true, the June 1st UMG European issue will be identical to the new Concord release in the USA.

I suspect the confusion stems from Amazon showing the wrong cover image and track listing at this early pre-release date (par for the course at Amazon):

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

P.S. The Amazon cover image for the upcoming Universal release is definitely bogus, since it shows the Reprise logo. ;)

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Just to clarify: Correct about Concord, but the ownership is Frank Sinatra Enterprises LLC, which is more than just the family. It's a corporate partnership with Warner Music Group, who purchased the rights from the Sinatra Estate to control and administer Frank Sinatra's music and image. Yes, the "family" plays a part, but they do not necessarily "pull the strings."

There is an ongoing blame game that seems to be played out with every new Sinatra product issue. I'm not defending any audio decisions or mistakes which may have been made, but casting aspersions is guaranteed to thwart any meaningful dialogue with those in control. (Again, just my two cents. :))

CBackley likes this.
  14. DJ WILBUR

I stand corrected. You are right, the LLC. I have to wonder if the family at least is allowed to sign off on a test pressing before their fathers record hits retail. Do you know if this is the case Bob?

15. wave

wave Forum Resident

Bob, the key word is "ongoing." These unflattering masterings have been "ongoing." The frustration many of us have is that no one is listening. It's a sad day when you can only be "cautiously optimistic" in 2010 about buying one of the greatest vocal albums of all time by the greatest vocalist of all time.

I honestly believe the Sinatra family would only want the best for Frank Sinatra's musical legacy. (They share the man's name, how couldn't they?) Well, those of us who take an audiophile approach to his music also want the best for his musical legacy. At the end of the day, how are all of our intentions not the same?

McLover likes this.
  16. wave

wave Forum Resident

Hopefully Bob knows this. My guess is that she does not. She mentioned this past weekend that she had just heard the new copy of Sinatra-Jobim. But even if she heard an early pressing, it's possible she wouldn't have recognized the missed edits. (Sonically, she said the CD sounded "terrific," and there's no reason to doubt that's how she truly feels.) But -- and this is obviously only an opinion -- if those missed edits were brought to her attention, I could never imagine her allowing the album to be released that way.

17. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

But where does the buck stop?

Oh, "It's all about the money!"

18. DJ WILBUR

I got this blog today and it made me think of this situation and that great pic of frank and the bus...the state of the entire music industry is now a bus company.

the difference when Frank ran Reprise, he demanded perfection from his staff to get things right. Just reading the comments on other forums that I'm somehow overthinking "perfection" when its something Frank himself insisted and delivered everytime is laughable. yeah, I'm the nutter here...

Attached Files:

CBackley likes this.
  19. wave

wave Forum Resident

DJ WILBUR, I agree with you 100%. Sycophants elsewhere have forgotten about Sinatra's perfectionism. There was no such thing as, "Sounds good enough to me," or "That's passable." Hell no! The best means the best. Period.

20. DJ WILBUR

Not sure its really "blame", more frustration, probably plays out like blame but we all wonder where the lack of quality control resides.

this particular release is one of the pinnacles of his cannon and its all now neatly in one release, certain fans are happy enough with it, but saddened that what wasn't broken to begin with now has a few chinks...

and its NOT how Frank released it. If Frank were alive and it came out like that, I wonder what he'd have to say about it myself.

the upside is, now we have a raw vocal, warts and all.

21. johnnyv

johnnyv Forum Resident

There is the best point that has been raised in all of this....
    IF THOSE MISSED EDITS WERE BROUGHT TO HER ATTENTION.....

This catalog should not be in the hands of someone who has to have such things pointed out to them!!!! Put someone in charge who KNOWS this stuff.

22. wave

wave Forum Resident

Nancy is a recording artist in her own right. She was at at least one of the Jobim sessions (when her and her father recorded "Somethin' Stupid"). She understands the recording process and her father's catalog better than most. She's absolutely up to the job of helming her father's interests, regardless of the infamous missed edits. The fault lies elsewhere, but there is fault nonetheless. It just amazes me how some Sinatra fans elsewhere are so willing to ignore and whitewash those faults and mistakes.

23. DJ WILBUR

and back to the music for a minute...a great review of the item here..

http://theseconddisc.wordpress.com/...sinatrajobim-the-complete-reprise-recordings/

The Second Disc

CBackley likes this.
  24. DJ WILBUR

question...I notice this new deluxe edition is not available to buy digitally from either Amazon or Itunes.

anyone know the reason why?

25. wave

wave Forum Resident

I'm not sure why, but there may be a lag on the online availability. The first Concord releases (My Way/Meadowlands) are available at Amazon and iTunes but the last release (Strangers) still isn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.