Sinatra on Columbia (Official/Authorized Releases)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I assume the back cover of your booklet is the album cover of the LP Frankie (CL 606), which is page 12 in my booklet. Mine continues for six more pages—with the liner notes and detailed song discographies from each of the albums in the 6-LP set (“Saloon Songs,” etc.)—followed by a final back cover sheet with a large photo of Frank’s back as he faces a roomful of fans.

It may be that what you have is the LP booklet. The 4-CD set followed the 1986 6-LP set by a year or two. IIRC, I bought my CD box set ca. 1988, when it was still on store shelves. The four CDs also contain song titles and track times on the backs of their booklets and jewel cases, but the extra pages in the large booklet have complete session dates and musician lists for every song.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  2. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur! Thread Starter

Thanks. The back page on my version has the Frankie cover on the inside, with the image you describe on the outside back. Yes, they must have used the LP booklet, either accidentally or to clear shelf space.

3. ShockControl

So, 45 pages and nearly 9 years ago, I posted my general impressions of Frank during his Columbia period.

I am now listening to Swing and Dance aka Sing and Dance, circa 1950, which I have seen described as being almost a proto-Capitol album. This album has not changed my opinion. I still find Frank from this era to be a very competent singer, but he is still not yet Sinatra to me.

I guess if this album can't win me over, it's a lost cause.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I can see a hint of what you are getting at, but I could not disagree more. To suggest that Sinatra, who had already revolutionized and radically affected popular singing for an entire decade by 1950, was "not quite himself" yet, just seems absurd.

Sure, I understand anyone's preference for the Capitol years, but to deny the artistic achievement of Sinatra up to 1950 is, as you put it, a lost cause.

Tord, Bob F, roda12 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I just post this, the second post in this thread from nine years ago as a reminder.

It seems that every legend of music, every artist that has become the principal influence on nearly all who followed, has those who deny that artist's achievement.

Tord likes this.
  6. ShockControl

Then I'm a lost cause. I can appreciate what I am hearing intrinsically, but for me, it is just a precursor to the real Sinatra.

BTW, for clarity, I am not "denying" anything.

Record Rotator likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

At age 35, Sinatra was "quite real" and fully developed. He may not yet have worked with Nelson Riddle or recorded in the high fidelity technology of the later 1950's. To say he was not yet "the real Sinatra" is definitely denying something.

Tord likes this.
  8. ShockControl

Then I am denying that the the 1940s Sinatra is the 1950s Sinatra.

If that meets your definition of denial, then I am guilty. And, frankly, I don't care. :righton:

Record Rotator likes this.
  9. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Bob F likes this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

For those wondering, see the posts by @sinatrapicturefan starting here in an unrelated thread:
    Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Unfortunately, the new thread started by Jim was removed for reasons unrelated to the music. :(

GORT REQUEST: Please restore this thread…
    Rare, unpublished Frank Sinatra recordings found

zoltantamas, Simon A and roda12 like this.
  11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Vinyl Records | all-analog 180-gram LPs | 24 Gold CDs | Impex Records
    Impex Records on Instagram
    Stay tuned, folks…

roda12 and Daveymoore like this.
  12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

15. Is this going to be a straight reissue of the "Love Is A Kick" album then?

16. zoltantamas

zoltantamas Forum Resident

Nice! Thanks Bob! It is really a great and also underrated album. I hope it will be available in EU too.

17. Only via import I'm guessing as Impex is a small niche US company not unlike Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab or Analogue Productions. If they're imports only they will be very pricey sadly.

Daveymoore likes this.
  18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Look at the hashtags. Most likely: Sing and Dance with Frank Sinatra (1950)

I believe it will be sold exclusively by Elusive Disc.

MarkusGermany, roda12 and SteveM like this.
  19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

20. I think the song playing in the clip has thrown me off? So "An American Beauty Rose" is not a clue?

I appreciate that the cover for "Sing And Dance With Frank Sinatra" is shown partially obscured in the earlier teasers but I thought that was too obvious!

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I’m guessing the song was chosen as a tie-in to the closing screen of the teaser video, but now I understand why you guessed Love Is a Kick.

SteveM likes this.
  22. Bob, have you any clues as to the track listing they will be using this time around as I recall this album has been reissued multiple times with expanded track listings?

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

No clue. All should be revealed next week.

SteveM likes this.
  25. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

It’s the track listing that will be the most interesting. I happened to pull out the Legacy edition of the cd the other night and still love it. And the high resolution streaming is good. I thought they would do something new and unique.