Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality and General Discussion: "...Great Songs from Great Britain" (1962)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Aug 31, 2007.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Anybody else?

2. As far as I've been able to tell there isn't a thread for this album here already so if I'm right, let this one be it. If not, please point out the link and delete this thread!

I am interested in hearing all points of view about this record from Sinatra fans and others.

Is it one of those albums that only "hard-core" fans have and they never listen to it, it's just there to complete a collection?

It's been reissued on vinyl in STEREO last month. As far as I can tell the original UK only LP from 1962 was mono. When was a stereo mix created and does anyone have both to compare?

It might be futile comparing like for like LP issues as there doesn't appear to have been many (if any) LP reissues in the past.

Over to you....

3. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

4. Judging by some of the comments in those links it appears that contrary to what the critics say, most fans who have heard it like it. Also I note the references to LP reissues and a UK stereo pressing. It strikes me that the Discogs listing is incorrect and / or woefully incomplete.

Thank you for your response!

Smartin62 likes this.
  5. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

They devoted an entire boxed set called "London" to it. I plan on getting it, someday.

6. Yes I was aware of "London" and I had already read that particular thread but it struck me that there was very little worthwhile in the box for someone like me who isn't a die-hard long-term fan or super collector. I'm not in for the studio talk, out-takes or session material really and the 84 live performance is a sound-board and probably "too late" in the canon for me at this stage. I am interested in the 62 live performance on DVD but I'm sure that will be available on its own one day and it will most certainly be entirely viewable on YouTube. I'm not really a collector of music / live DVD's so it would be a one time watch only. I'm more interested in the original album really.

I'm taking the plunge and ordering the new UMe vinyl LP. I can't see any comments good or bad about it so I might as well be the first as I have no other copy to compare to anyway! ;)

7. Matt, I'll report back when I get it but it will be a next to worthless assessment as I have zip to compare it to!

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It may be worth mentioning...

At the hi-res digital download sites (e.g. —> HDtracks, Pro Studio Masters, Acoustic Sounds. and Pono), this album is offered only in 96K format. Most other hi-res Sinatra albums from UMe are available at 192K. (Whether that has any connection to the SQ of the recent vinyl release is unknown.)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    CBackley and Bob Belvedere like this.
  9. That's interesting but the way I see it currently is that the new download and LP are most likely using the exact same file created for the latest remix/remaster of this album which was included in the London box, but in its native "high" resolution. The stand alone current UMe CD is simply a port of the old 1993 (?) CD. From what I can gather the new CD in the London box was very well received and a clear improvement on the original. The LP might not better a UK '65 or a Japanese '85 necessarily overall but neither of those are exactly easy for me to get hold of. There is a used Japanese LP on American eBay currently but disregarding import duties, the cost of the LP with shipping is twice the price of the current NEW LP.

So I'm quite happy..........for the moment!

CBackley likes this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Absolutely not. It's a beautiful album and a favorite of many. The major criticism of which I'm aware is that Sinatra was tired (having just completed a marathon world tour for children's charities) and may not have been in the best voice. I don't hear that at all.

One contributing factor to the lack of recognition on this side of the Atlantic was the album's UK-only release. The LP was Sinatra's gift to his British fans, and—for whatever reason [there is various speculation]—he elected NOT to issue it in the US. The LP was practically unknown here for several years following its 1962 release. It did not get a US release until the 1993 CD issue.

It WAS issued in stereo in the UK (Reprise R9-1006) and internationally (Italy, Germany, Japan, etc.). There are some alternate take/editing differences between the original British and the foreign versions, and a bonus track ("Roses of Picardy") was first included in the Japanese issue.

spindly and Bob Belvedere like this.
  11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You're probably correct, but based on Universal's track record with their "Signature Sinatra" vinyl reissues, I wouldn't make that assumption. Some of the new LPs have NOT matched the hi-res download versions.

12. That's good to know. Yes, I had read in numerous places how the voice wasn't in great shape and how apparently even Mr S. himself expressed regret over the recording due to this. However, I would agree with you here that listening to it with "fresh ears" for the first time it didn't especially strike me as being below par. The arrangements are wonderful in the main and it is a very good (if eclectic) mix of songs. Hey, I'm a Brit, so maybe I'm biased here but I'm glad I ordered it and look forward to playing it.

CBackley, bozburn and Benno123 like this.
  13. Oh no! Which ones? (alarm bells clanging loudly in my ears.....the bells, the bells!)

CBackley likes this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This Is Sinatra!, for one. A Jolly Christmas is another, IIRC. There's been discussion in other threads.

SteveM likes this.
  15. Bob Belvedere

Bob Belvedere Forum Resident

Frank was definitely fatigued [fagged-out, for you Brits] when he made it, but I think that adds to his performances in the majority of the songs.

I've found this is one of those albums that grows on you track-by-track [The Very Thought Of You became a favorite last week].

CBackley and SteveM like this.
  16. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Today I received the new Universal LP. Im spinning it now. Sounds beatiful to my ears! Farnon's arrangments really flourish. Stereo separation is really nice too!

CBackley and aoxomoxoa like this.
  17. MLutthans

I'm glad you guys could meet up! :laugh:

CBackley and aoxomoxoa like this.
  18. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Late to the game, but I'm listening to my new copy of the LP reissue now. At first I was startled at how dry Frank's voice is, but it's really growing on me. Good sound on this one. Instrument clarity is great.

19. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I'm sure UMG used the latest, uncompressed, digital remaster from the new London box. That sounds terrific too!

bozburn likes this.
  20. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Some of you may like to know that recording engineer Eric Tomlinson has died he was 84, Eric was a UK engineer
    who recorded Sinatra's album in London at CTS Studios he went on to record many film scores including Star Wars
    and the first three Bond movies as well as other outstanding work.

21. MLutthans

Sorry to hear that; thank you for passing word along.

paulmock and mikrt17 like this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Even in mono, I wish I had the LP to hear. Haven't seen a copy in Eastern Tennessee. Hope to find one. Start a conversation if one can be spared.

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Related to a recent exchange with @Ronald Sarbo in another thread (—> here)...

Could either of you guys (or anyone else with the new LP) confirm if there are 10 or 11 tracks? I.e., is "Roses of Picardy" included on the vinyl, despite not being listed on the cover?

paulmock likes this.
  24. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

According to the SFF discography all 11 tracks were "issued" in high resolution in 2014. The LP came in 2015.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Discogs has images of the labels on the UMe release, and there are five tracks listed on each side. So it looks like "Roses of Picardy" was indeed not included on the LP. I expect that's what we'll hear from Rob and Britt when they chime in.

CBackley likes this.