Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Sinatra and Swingin' Brass" - 1962*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SinatraFan, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I don't know about Sinatra, but in this photo (—> mptvimages) Hefti MAY be wearing the same suit?

[​IMG]

FWIW, when the photo Matt posted appeared in Neal Hefti's obituaries in 2008...

...it was captioned as taken "during a 1961 recording session." That is likely inaccurate, since all Sinatra sessions conducted by Hefti at United Recording were in 1962: Feb. 27, Apr. 10–11, and Oct. 2–3. (There was also a rehearsal session on Oct. 1, where no masters were taped.)

BTW, another good Hefti bio (no mention of Sinatra) may be found at:

Big Band Library —> Neal Hefti: "Don'cha Go Away Mad"

2. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

The above photo was the proposed "cover" for the album. The original title was "The Thin One And Hefti".

paulmock and MLutthans like this.
  3. Ronald Sarbo

As to the 2 photos Hefti is certainly wearing the same suit and tie. Sinatra in the "cover" shot standing sideways appears to have his shirt collar open as it is in the first photo and the shape and creases of his fedora are the same so I believe both photos were from the same session....but I could be wrong.

MLutthans likes this.
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I've got some clips added from these sources:
    •The Reprise Collection -- CD mastering of two tracks, using the original stereo mix
    •The 1992 CD - remix
    •The 1998 EOTC CD - remix

New HD and LP versions will follow, but my take on the CDs is:
    •The tracks in The Reprise Collection, while using a pretty soupy original stereo mix, are tonally very good.
    •The 1992 CD (reused in the suitcase set) is all over the map. Some tracks have pretty good tone, while others are bright and thin. On the plus side, the trumpets sound open and brassy, and the bass sounds very natural (not "goosed"). Saxes are a little thin and sometimes razor-y in tone. Reverb levels are pleasantly reduced, and dynamics are wide open.
    •The 1998 CD is pretty icky: Reduced dynamics (and it sounds squished, so that's not just a by-the-numbers comment, and waveforms are definitely and severely squared off in places), boxy/dark brass sound, dark sax sound, goosed bass levels, boxy vocals (some spots worse than others).

I don't like the 1992 CD, but will easily choose it as being better (overall) than the 1998 CD. (The 1998 CD is not without its better-than-1992 moments, but for the most part, it's inferior, IMO.)

Here's the link: 1962 - Sinatra and Swingin' Brass »
    (Scan down to the heading, "1992 and Beyond: Stereo Remixes.")

raphph, bozburn, Bob F and 2 others like this.
  5. MLutthans

Six more clips added, all involving the 2014 remixes: 1962 - Sinatra and Swingin' Brass » . (You'll need to scan down the page.)

Pretty amazing that this album has now had (count 'em) FOUR stereo mixes, each wildly different from the others.

bozburn and Bob F like this.
  6. MLutthans

Sorry to get into such minutiae, but I found an original UK A1-B1 mono LP on Ebay today, and here's the cover art:
    SinatraAndSwingin'BrassUK A1-B1Monos-l1600-43.jpg
    It uses the revised artwork, with the blue blotch behind the word "Hefti," and the re-typeset and re-positioned song titles. So, did the original artwork (pictured below for comparison) never get issued at all in the UK? If so, that would suggest that somebody realized there were some issues with the cover very early on.
    Original, unrevised version:
    [​IMG]

Arkoffs and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  7. MLutthans

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    DmitriKaramazov and Arkoffs like this.
  8. MLutthans

@stevelucille was kind enough to send along a clip from the S9-1005 stereo reel-to-reel tape release, and I was intrigued enough by what I heard that I bought a copy online yesterday and am waiting for it to arrive. Once it's here, I'll have a listen, and then post either Steve's clip or a clip from my own copy, depending on which is in better shape. (There were some issues with the condition of Steve's tape, which is why I'm slow to post it.)

Interesting (sort of?) to note that the reel-to-reel release used the revised version of the cover art:
    s-l1600-50.jpg
    Was there a "first-run" of reels that used the original artwork? Or did they all have the revised version?
    Also, on the rear cover, the sides were reversed (and the owner of the copy pictured hand-wrote "II" and "I" to note this):
    s-l1600-51.jpg
    (The sequence appears to be correct on the actual labels.)

Still seeking LP samples
    Also, in terms of the stereo LP clips that have been posted, I'd love to fill in a gap or two there, if anybody has something they could share from "Don'cha Go 'Way Mad." All that is posted are the three* stereo LPs that I personally own: a 1962 A-1 original*, a circa 1986 LP, and the 2014 reissue. I'd love to add something from the 1963-1985 time frame (if anybody has one), or any of the assorted non-USA editions that are out there. Anybody able to pitch in? Thanks in advance.

(*EDIT: I do also have an A-6 early pressing, but it sounds identical to my A-1, so I didn't bother posting it, so I actually have four stereo LP pressings.)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  9. MLutthans

I'm not at a point yet where I'm comfortable picking my personal favorite release of this album, but I have tried to whittle things down to their essentials, and I've come up with this little chart:
    Screen shot 2016-03-03 at 11.21.42 PM.png
    There are at least two versions that, to me, can basically be thrown out and (for my own listening) never revisited, and those are:
    •Early stereo LPs
    •The 1998 EOTC CD, which is hard/harsh/dark/compressed compared to other versions.

I'll chime back in once the reel-to-reel tape arrives and I've spent some time with it. Anybody else have any thoughts? Lots of samples here, if you are curious.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    bozburn and shicorp like this.
  10. MLutthans

The reel came today (Wednesday), and it had been advertised as "possibly new and unplayed," and I believe that to be the case. (Not bad for $7!) The original factory seal adhesive tape was still in place, and the "tape pack" was perfect, as I would expect from a new tape from the factory. Lest you think all was well, well....my guess is that the tape had been stored in a damp basement or garage, as, even after multiple, slow "library" wind attempts by me, it still played just like the tape on this Youtube video:

I can hear mom now: "Who wants more lasagne?"

Anyway, there was no way this thing was going to lay flat as it passed over the tape head, but I was able to tinker around with Ye Olde Tandberg and increase the tension a bit right around the playback head and get an "okay" (but not perfect) pass on Don'cha Go 'Way Mad, and a clip is now posted on the webpage, or via direct audio link here.

In the end, since it uses the original, reverb-heavy stereo mix, it's never going to win any awards, but that said, it's miles and miles ahead of the original stereo LP pressings, but a definite step down compared to the later, better LP masterings of that same mix. (IMO) Also, it's too bad that, by the time this album came out, Reprise had ended it's relationship with Ampex, as I suspect an Ampex-manufactured release would have sounded better than this Stereotape-manufactured release, but who knows?

(Thanks to @stevelucille who sent a clip of his reel, as well. Since this one is in better shape -- despite it's problems -- I've posted this reel instead.)

McLover likes this.
  11. MLutthans

For those who like to play along at home, a few clips from Tangerine:

Clip 1: 1980s LP ---> 2014 LP ---> 1980s LP. I'm using the 1980s LP because 1.) TONALLY, I think it's very nice. It has way too much soupy reverb, the but tone is good; 2.) The balances are good; and 3.) Its dynamics are wide open. Here's the audio: https://app.box.com/s/7yn0m7fmu8hluqk5eyar7xe7vf5qcijk

Clip 2: 1980s LP ---> 2014 HD ---> 1980s LP. Here's the audio: https://app.box.com/s/8spo2xly12tp4n7dxnifzzchyqzw0d57

Clip 3: 2014 LP ---> HD ---> 2014 LP. How similar are the recent LP and HD releases? Here's a way to find out. Audio: https://app.box.com/s/8s41pq3fo039oeht6sws5kzc090waiiq

Clip 4: 2014 HD ---> 1992 CD ---> 2014 HD. As I've mentioned, the 1992 HD is quite thin sounding on some tracks, as evidenced here. (Forgive the clicky-clicks that are on the CD, which appears to have not imported 100% cleanly). Audio: https://app.box.com/s/s1kxu2e14c5zsvc0t58e72abi60yd5a6

Comments are encouraged, as always. That's the whole point of this stuff. :)

12. aza14782

aza14782 Forum Resident

I think I definitely like the 2014 LP the most. Maybe it helps that I was never familiar with the album beforehand, but the bass being centered doesn't bother me too much. That said, when I play it something sounds off, it just doesn't sound as "musical" as it should (an odd thing to say about music).

The similarities are striking compared to RADD, in the sense that it wasn't a concept album, just Frank singing a bunch of songs he liked to sing and they both took over 50 years for a good sounding LP! Even when I say "good sounding", I don't think any of the releases are winning awards for fidelity. The Concord RADD LP isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than anything we've had. Same goes for the 2014 Swingin' Brass, I don't think it's perfect but it miles ahead of the others. Sometimes I wonder what these would have sounded like had they been recorded at Capitol...

McLover and MarkusGermany like this.
  13. MLutthans

Only sometimes? :laugh: (Some excellent comments there. Thank you for the thoughtful reply.) One thing that I run through my little brain now and then is that Point of No Return, one of the best stereo recordings of the Capitol era, was recorded seven months before Swingin' Brass, but the difference in sound quality is worlds apart. One sounds (sonically) alive and fresh and vibrant today, while the other (Swingin' Brass), despite all the efforts to tweak it, still sounds bad. (I edited my post to avoid using a naughty word.)

Speaking of the 2014 LP, there are some here who I've PM'd with who really hate that mastering, and, while I don't 100% agree, I at least get where they are coming from. I've got some issues with the LP, definitely, but I'm not in the "haters" category, and I do like how the bass levels sound un-goosed (unlike the concurrently-released HD version). That said, one clip that I posted a few days back really points out the tonal oddness (?) of the 2014 LP, I think, and it's this one: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1962_-_Sinatra_and_Swingin_Brass_files/TheyCan'tTakeWW1LP-2014LP.wav. That clip starts with a 1980s LP -- which is, itself, riddled with shortcomings/quirks/issues of its own -- then repeats the same passage from the 2014 LP. Both have the bass blended to the center, coincidentally. To my ears, the 1980s LP has kind of a dull vocal with way too much reverb, and the remixed 2014 LP mercifully ditches the reverb, but picks up a hardness to the sound that's not very flattering. It's a "lesser of two evils," I suppose, but I think either of them could be defended as the lesser, depending on how you score things. They both seem to have major problems, but all versions of this album have sonic problems, as far as I can tell. I think there's still a case to be made for just throwing on a clean mono original and saying, "To heck with the whole thing!" Nothing is special about the mono, but very little is really bothersome, either.
    :shrug:I dunno......

aza14782 likes this.
  14. MLutthans

Alright, time to put this one to bed, eh?

I've posted my final thoughts on the sound issues 3/4ths of the way down the page, here: 1962 - Sinatra and Swingin' Brass »

[​IMG]
    A special word of thanks to my pal Frank Costanza for helping me air my grievances (on the linked page)!

I hope others will chime in with their thoughts on sound on this one, as I really hate to be "the guy" on these things. I'd rather be part of a collective, as we all have two ears and equally valid views on this stuff (and there are gobs of clips to listen to, should anybody wish to do so), so please.....don't be shy to share your opinion!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  15. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I don't own the latest Lp (and I haven't heard a sufficient amount of the new Lp to make an informed decision about it), but I have an awful original stereo Lp, the CD suitcase version (same as the original CD), the EOTC CD, and the digital download. Forget the Lp and the EOTC CD- both border on being downright un-listenable.

I recently listened to the suitcase version of the album and thought it sounded much better than I remembered- it sounded fairly natural and open but it lacked detail. As I stated in another post, I like the 2014 HD Download- the dry vocal seems to fit this album, I rather like the wide stereo spread, and I like the clarity. However, I have to admit there is something off about the sound of the brass.

Since this isn't one of my favorite Sinatra albums, and neither of my choices are anywhere near perfect, I guess I can live with listening to either the suitcase version or the HD digital download depending on my mood. Unfortunately, considering the manner in which this album was originally recorded, I don't think we're going to get anything that sounds a whole heck of a lot better.

MLutthans likes this.
  16. MLutthans

:righton:

I think we're pretty-much simpatico, or at least in each other's respective ballparks. Boy, you ain't kiddin' about those original (early) stereo LP pressings. Geez, those things are awful! Regarding the dry vocal, I agree that it does suit the album's style. If my late-pressing (1986?) stereo LP had a dry vocal, it would be the bee's knees, but it doesn't, so it isn't!

McLover likes this.
  17. Ronald Sarbo

If Sinatra's separation from Capitol had been amicable he might have used their studios to record his Reprise albums. Other companies like Verve and World Pacific used Capitol's studios...even Columbia for some of their West Coast sessions. Sinatra would not set foot in the Tower again until the sessions for Duets 1.

McLover and MLutthans like this.
  18. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I like your line of thinking Ronald, but you have to realize that if he did, we probably wouldn't have all these extended discussions about the sound quality of many of Frank's Reprise recordings.:D

aza14782 likes this.
  19. MLutthans

I wish he would have stayed at Radio Recorders (which he used for the initial, abandoned I Remember Tommy sessions). Anywhere without Putnam would have been better. Even Sound Enterprise studios served him better, sonically:
    A couple of single tracks were done there, and they sound nice.

McLover, MMM and AJH like this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

And therein lies the problem. Mr. S never gave any of his arrangers "equal billing". Hefti was asking a bit too much on that one.

21. FranklyCanadian

FranklyCanadian Forum Resident

Hey Matt -- Thanks for the thorough A/B-ing on the various releases of SASB -- fascinating to hear the differences in dynamic range through the various reissues... Not to hijack the thread, but is there any chance you'd be willing to tackle 'It Might As Well Be Swing'? I've been eager to get your thoughts on this much volleyed LP and its various releases through the years !

22. MLutthans

Oh, at some point, sure. For now, I'm trying to piece together some new stuff on Only the Lonely, but everything's fair game down the road. I appreciate the feedback, too! :)

FranklyCanadian likes this.
  23. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I'm not sure I love the sound of the 2014 LP in this clip, but it's so much easier on the ears than the R9-1005.

Just today I got a copy with the following deadwax info:
    Side 1: R-9-1005-A-1 30,113
    Side 2: R-9-1005-B-2 30,114

This pressing sounds truly awful. Now I know better!

bozburn, MLutthans and aza14782 like this.
  24. MLutthans

Yep, I have no doubt that one's a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal dog!

25. MLutthans

One more thing: There are people reading this who absolutely HATE the sound of the 2014 LP, and I've really held my tongue when it comes to piling on the criticisms of that release, and it basically comes down to this:

Every release of this album is problematic in one way or another. I've got a CD-R that I put together back when we were doing this comparison stuff, and it's got a bunch of tracks from a bunch of sources, some of which are really cringe-inducing.

Last night, I was playing with the stereo in my wife's Camry, just going from disc to disc to see what was in the changer. When I got to disc 3 (or whatever), lo and behold, it was that old, long-forgotten CD-R with all the Swingin' Brass stuff on it, and "Goody, Goody" from the 2014 LP came on, and my knee-jerk reaction, which I've had repeatedly (and not just in the car, but on the "big stereo," too), is "Oh, that's nice." That may not be a ringing endorsement, but when other tracks on the CD-R make me reach for the "next track" button, any version that elicits an "Oh, that's nice" is doing okay by comparison. Also, despite all the flaws, I'll take it over the 2014 HD version, and I know that I'm in the minority on that one. The LP, flawed as it is, does not sound bass-goosed or hard/compressed to me, while the HD does, which is odd, because "by the numbers," the HD scores pretty well when run through Ye Olde Dynamic Range checker, but it sounds "hard" to me each time I hear it. There's something about it that rubs me that way (like an audibly compressed mastering would do), whether it's "technically" earned or not.

You know the old saying, "You can't polish a turd?" I think that Capitol's Ron McMaster (who is retiring, by the way) chose a type of Turd Polishing Cream that was, in its own way, as effective as or maybe even more effective than many of the other assorted creams that have been used to buff this one up over the years -- and there have been many such creams used!

I say this with more emphasis than usual: YMMV.

McLover and kennyluc1 like this.