Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Sinatra and Swingin' Brass" - 1962*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SinatraFan, Oct 21, 2014.

1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

AME= Sonic Turd EQ curve. Commonly known as the sound that goes Crunch! Sinatra & Swinging Brass another in the Frank Sinatra Cap'n Crunch line, Crunch-A-Tize me, Cap'n, Again and Again. Ron McMaster on the UMe did one of the best jobs if not the best job of "Polishing the Turd". Wish Frank Sinatra had left Capitol on friendly terms also, as Capitol recorded him a lot better, Bill Putnam is lovable, but he did Frank a major disservice in the sonics department. Sad to see Ron McMaster retiring from Capitol.

Jayson Wall and MLutthans like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

cap-crunch.jpg
    Ah, the good ol' days are back!

McLover likes this.
  3. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

Question, Matt: Where does the "Mastered for iTunes" version fit in here? (One of the versions of this album on iTunes carries the "Mastered for iTunes" logo, the other does not.) Is the "Mastered for iTunes" version comparable to the 2014 HD version (as one might think)?

4. MLutthans

@riddlemay --

Good question! I can look into it, or maybe somebody else who already knows can chime in.

5. MLutthans

@riddlemay --

Just checked at iTunes, and it sounds like the 1998 version (non-Mastered-for-iTunes) is the 1998 EOTC version, and the 2014 Mastered for iTunes version is the 2014 HD downsampled/converted.

6. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

Interesting! It sounds like, if one only has the ability to play CDs on one's stereo, and the only version one has of this album is the 1998 CD, it might just be worthwhile to buy the Mastered for iTunes version of the album and burn it to a CD.

7. MLutthans

I wish there were a really easy, obvious answer for this album (in terms of finding that elusive "right" version), that's for sure. In the end, your solution work fine. :thumbsup:

riddlemay likes this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I think you will find this to be the case for almost all of the Sinatra albums on iTunes. All of the MFiT versions followed shortly on the heels of the recent corresponding HD (and vinyl) issues by UMe. The earlier ITunes versions were ripped from the latest CD issues.

There is a list posted at the SFF: —> Mastered for iTunes

9. MLutthans

@Pieter Kozak sent a clip from a UK LP. It sounds good, and I will be posting it and commenting in the days ahead, but in the meanwhile, I have a question for our pressing experts out there.

Pieter's UK LP has deadwax that reads R9-1005 A-21 [EDIT: It's A-2L] with a further etching of KT Z/T. The label looks like this:
    SwinginBrassA21UKStereoLabel copy2.jpg
    Doesn't that A-21 runout info indicate a USA cut, pressed in the UK? Or have I missed something?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The A-21 part sounds that way to me. It would help to see it too. The KT seems like British tax code or something...

MLutthans likes this.
  11. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

Hi Martin

I hope these pictures help more.. Thanks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. MLutthans

Ah, I see in the photo that it's A-2L! I thought it was A-21. That may change things, but I'll let our Reprise pressing gurus chime in. Thanks for the pics. Maybe @W.B. will have some input.

13. MLutthans

I've got a clip from Pieter's UK LP added to the comparison page (about midway down the page). Here's the direct audio link to keep you from having to hunt for it: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1962_-_Sinatra_and_Swingin_Brass_files/Don'ChaGo'WayMadClipUKA-2L Stereo.wav

For comparison, here's my A1 USA original pressing: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1962_-_Sinatra_and_Swingin_Brass_files/A1StereoClip-GAIN_02.mp3
    ....and a circa 1986 USA copy, pressed by Capitol, with bass panned to center, creating a narrowed image and mildly anemic overall sound: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1962_-_Sinatra_and_Swingin_Brass_files/05Cap Don'cha Go 'Way Mad-NORM_01-03.mp3

My thoughts?
    Well, that A1 stereo LP remains awful. Toss that one out. The Capitol pressing is okay, but has a very dark-sounding vocal mixed with a thin, airy sound to the instrumentation and a narrowed image with the bass blended to the center. Pieter's LP strikes me as having similar tonality in the instruments to that Capitol LP, but with f u l l w i d t h s-t-e-r-e-o, which helps, as does the better, less dark/heavy vocal tone.

:righton:

Also, where those photos of the runout groove are concerned, I think that's the same stamp style as on my original UK Great Songs from Great Britain, so I *think* this is a "cut in the UK" LP, not made from US metal parts, but again, I'll defer to the experts.

Is that a Decca stamp? Or was Pye cutting their own lacquers?

Anybody out there have an FS-1005 1960s USA LP we could sample? That's the glaring omission in these comparisons thus far.

Arkoffs and Pieter Kozak like this.
  14. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Well, for sure, the label fonts are typical of early 1960's Pye product - and they distributed Reprise in the U.K. even then. But I think the other experts nailed it.

Pieter Kozak likes this.
  15. MLutthans

Matrix stamp in Pieter's UK copy:
    IMG_0160_1.jpg
    Here is the matrix stamp from a similar-era Decca LP in my collection:
    P1010250.jpg
    I think that Pye LP was cut at Decca in the UK.

??

McLover and Pieter Kozak like this.
  16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Pieter! That's a non-U.S. mastering...

Pieter Kozak likes this.
  17. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I'm not sure I've ever even seen an FS copy of Swingin' Brass, now that you mention it.

(this is when I go home and realize I have one)

MLutthans likes this.
  18. AJH

AJH Senior Member

They are out there:

[​IMG]

Deadwax reads: 30113-FS-1005A 1C

Arkoffs likes this.
  19. MLutthans

Is that yours?
    Still looking for a clip from Don'cha Go 'Way Mad.....

Arkoffs likes this.
  20. MLutthans

21. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Yes, it is mine. Kind of strange jacket- the front of the cover lists it as R9-1005, the spine and back list it as FS- 1005, and of course the record is FS-1005.

Arkoffs likes this.
  22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

UK sounds pretty good...IMHO.

MLutthans likes this.
  23. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

That situation is fairly typical for a lot of the R9s after the changeover to FS series... they often didn't change the catalog number on the front slicks for some reason.

MLutthans likes this.
  24. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I like the UK quite a bit, actually... it makes the '86 and '14 LPs sound somewhat anemic to my ears.

MLutthans likes this.
  25. MLutthans

Funny....I've been prepping a revision to my webpage (the changes are not posted yet), and I used that exact word ("anemic") in pointing out how the 1986 LP sounds vis-a-vis Pieter's UK stereo LP, so we are hearing things the same way.

By the way, the matrix info on side two of Pieter's LP, from which those clips come, is R9-1005-B-2L.

I'll take Pieter's LP over any of the versions I currently, personally own: B4 mono LP, A1 stereo LP, A6 stereo LP, 1986 stereo LP WW-1 cut (bass centered via low-frequency blend during cutting), 1986 stereo LP LW-1 cut (bass "correctly" un-centered), Original CD, EOTC CD, 2014 LP (bass centered via low-frequency blend during cutting), 2014 HD.

Still looking for FS-1005 stereo LP clips, and I have a renewed interest in hearing non-USA LP clips for this title, if anybody has any goodies lurking in their collections.
    nudge-nudge-monty-python-105.jpg

Arkoffs likes this.