Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality, artwork, etc.: "All Alone" - 1962

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2014.

1. wave

wave Forum Resident

Bob, you know the frustrating part? Sinatra's probably explaining everything we'd ever want to know about that painting in that 1965 John Dominis photo :cry:

MMM, AaronW, bozburn and 2 others like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Some interesting (at least to me) finds from Ebay:

scan0017_zps200340dc.jpg scan0018_zpsc5b8a819.jpg

^^^^^^^Is this acetate legit? If so, then the would-be title song, Come Waltz with Me, was already out of the running by this point.

$_57-11.JPG
    ^^^^^^^Very strange alternate album cover on this Japanese reissue.

!BbqCIGwBWk~$(KGrHqEOKj8Eq3(IsH3SBK)!Z9bt6!~~_1.JPG
    ^^^^^^^^^^Anybody know the story behind the "Ol' Blue Eyes for Buckley 6/15/39 to 6/15/79" sticker?

Also:
    Based on stuff that Bob posted, is there only one CD mastering for this title? Or am I missing something?

Bob Belvedere, rxcory, MMM and 3 others like this.
  3. MLutthans

Anybody have this Japanese LP with "Come Waltz with Me" included?
    Screen shot 2014-11-12 at 12.46.40 AM.png

4. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

This is one of my very favourite Sinatra albums, the beauty of the arrangements and Frank's singing floored me when I first heard it, each time I listen I still get goosebumps, it's a wonderful record and I've just pulled out my LP for todays listening.

Bob Belvedere, rangerjohn and Simon A like this.
  5. MLutthans

I just finished listening to the album for the first two times in my life -- mono LP first, suitcase CD tracks (in LP order) second. Some first impressions, which I may find later are totally wrong/unfounded, but they are just first impressions:

•Is this another AME (not NAB) equalized session tape? It sounds to me like some of the string passages, at least on the stereo CD, have that crrrrrrrrunch of AME in spots.
    •Live mono mix done at the session???? The differences in, for instance, harp levels may be the result of something done in a later mixdown, but I have to wonder.
    •Who engineered this one? If it was Putnam, he laid off the knob-twiddling pretty well. Of the Reprise LPs we've looked at in detail thus far (Ring-a-Ding Ding, I Remember The Who's Tommy, Swing Along with Me, and Sinatra and Strings), the recording seems to be the best-handled of the bunch (AME aside), with I Remember Tommy not far behind, and similar in style (with the rhythm section split between left and right).
    •The mono mix strikes me as being pretty good. A hair more reverb, maybe, than I would like, but pretty good! :)
    •That said, I thought the stereo CD's (re-?)mix bettered the mono LP by a considerable margin. I was quite impressed by the CD, actually. (I had low expectations, but thought it sounded good! The bass might be goosed a bit.)
    •Musically, I enjoyed the album. It's nice to hear a Sinatra/Jenkins effort that's not maudlin from start to finish.
    •The soprano voice that crops up a couple of times was interesting. Not sure if I dig it or not (I don't think I really do), but it was something different, at least.
    •I listened to "Come Waltz with Me" from the suitcase CD. Hoo-boy....not too sure about that one! I think Frank was wise to axe it, and I usually like Cahn/Van Heusen stuff.

So....I'm listening to the versions I have. Both of them. Which leads us to:
    "Help wanted....."

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I believe that is the case. The only official full-album CDs that I know of are the 1992 Reprise issue (US and German pressings)—with bonus track—and the 2011 UMG reissue (single CD and in The Reprise Years big box set)—without the bonus. The two discs are bit-identical, except for the extra track on the original CD, and The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings (suitcase) tracks used the same mastering. There was no EOTC release and no SHM-CD from Universal Music Japan.

Note the printing in the lower-right corner (and missing Reprise logo) on the '92 CD cover:

[​IMG]

(Compare with LP cover —> above.)

7. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

love this record, a gem.
    I have both mono and stereo pressings, both 1st presses if I remember right. In minty shape.
    Both very good sounding records, good sonics, better than ring a ding ding. The song selection I love and Sinatra is singing everything with feeling and maturity. It's a great record.
    Stereo - as I rememember - won out, by a small margin. But both very good sounding, nicely done.
    That I thought the stereo sounded better surprised me, usually I think the monos hang together better.

CBackley and rangerjohn like this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I believe the coloratura soprano on the first and last tracks was Norma Zimmer (Lawrence Welk's "Champagne Lady" on TV):

[​IMG]
    Norma Zimmer​

Nearly every website and Sinatra reference credits instead Loulie Jean Norman (the vapor voice of the "Star Trek" series theme):

[​IMG]
    Loulie Jean Norman​

However, the session reports (e.g. in Silva's discography) list Norma Zimmer on this United Recording date, January 15, 1962. I suspect the confusion stems from Will Friedwald's book. Friedwald made the same mistake in his identification of the ethereal voice on the Capitol single "Wait for Me" (Johnny Concho's theme).

Sim2, rangerjohn, SBC and 3 others like this.
  9. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Definitely an AME tape and I agree about the string sound it almost sounds like distortion at times on the CD
    with everything very upfront with mid range boost, not the best sounding Reprise album in my opinion, an album
    like 'All Alone' should be warm and rich and it's certainly not.

rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  10. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I've been listening to this album on Spotify, and something jumps out at me: Is this the driest Frank has ever been on a Reprise release?

11. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  12. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Bob Belvedere, MMM and AaronW like this.
  13. MLutthans

Ah, interesting! Thanks!

Oddly, there is a whole series of Sinatra LPs on Ebay with that sticker on there.
    I wonder if that's why the CD seems to have (fairly tastefully, not obscenely strong) boosted bass. Maybe an attempt to wring some warmth out of things?
    I checked a couple of the crunchy spots, and they are on both the stereo CD and the mono LP, FWIW.
    That's why I was wondering about Putnam's involvement, as his stuff typically has reverb right on the vocal track, so even remixes have some. The CD is surprisingly dry.

CBackley likes this.
  14. wave

wave Forum Resident

You've offended the wrong people, Matt...

[​IMG]

15. MLutthans

Time to change my user name to Bobby Bittman.
    2cea3ad36014a7b34c22f737bf5a0351.jpg
    (Geez, I used to love that show.....)

16. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

wave likes this.
  17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

As for the artist's identity, no one seems to "Remember," Tina.

CBackley and wave like this.
  18. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I always thought it looked like it could have been drawn by an artist who was also doing Pulp Novel covers. There were a lot of those around then.

profholt82 and paulmock like this.
  19. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

A great album which I don't play very often. Cover: I always thought that it was a Bing Crosby portrait.

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That was an unreleased album from 1974. When the sessions fell apart, it morphed into SOME NICE THINGS I MISSED... ;)

21. teag

teag Forum Resident

I just ordered a "sealed original" on E Bay. I will report in after it arrives and gets a listen!

bozburn and Simon A like this.
  22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Sounds exciting! But be advised you may wind up with an original R9 jacket but an FS labeled pressing. That is the problem with buying sealed LP's. It isn't the end of the world to get a never-played "smiling Frank" pressing. They are nice, too. Can't wait to hear what you wind up with. Good luck!

bozburn and Simon A like this.
  23. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I'm currently spinning the original MONO LP of this! Almost done with side 2. Very strong mix in my opinion!

SBC, AaronW and paulmock like this.
  24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Agree. I decided to take the chance with a sealed copy. I will let you know.

25. MLutthans

Anybody???? :help: