Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality & General Discussion: "Swing Along With Me" (1961)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 20, 2013.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

You have the suitcase, right? My advice? Burn yourself a CD in this order:
    0211 Falling in Love With Love
    0205 The Curse of an Aching Heart
    0213 Don't Cry Joe (Let Her Go, Let Her Go, Let Her Go)
    0207 Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone
    0206 Love Walked In
    0216 Granada
    0210 I Never Knew
    0209 Don't Be That Way
    0215 Moonlight on the Ganges
    0212 It's a Wonderful World
    0208 Have You Met Miss Jones?
    0214 You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You

You get sound that is (IMO) very comparable to the MFSL LP (heresy, perhaps, to say so, but this album ain't never gonna win any awards for audio quality, and the two sources are more similar than I would have assumed a couple of years ago), PLUS you get the longer version of Granada, which is a big plus, I think. Simplify your life! :agree:

2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Thanks! I’ll toss together a playlist.

MLutthans likes this.
  3. MLutthans

Karaoke disc with a very familiar cover photo:
    s-l1600-479.jpg

Liam Adams and Simon A like this.
  4. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

1 tablet, and 13 commandments? Doesn't seem kosher to me.....

MLutthans likes this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

They sure picked a lot of Mr. S's "hits" for that CD didn't they? :sigh:

bozburn, MLutthans and CBackley like this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And therefore, fortunately devoid of AME, and Cap'n Crunch Free. Therefore, between the superb Tommy Dorsey material, the awesome arrangements, and that band, happens to be one of the two best sounding Reprise Frank Sinatra LP discs ever. The other one happens to be "Francis Albert Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim".

rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

So rank, and so foul sounding, it should have been called "Stink Along With Me". This is United Recording engineering and mixing at their worst level. Why?, for crying out loud. Also suffers from a degree of Crunch in the reproduction. A shame as "Love Walked In" alone makes it still worth owning. This LP has every United Recording tool in their arsenal on how to make Frank Sinatra sound horrible and rank. And I am somewhat tolerant of their engineering, their abuse of reverb, of AME, and much more as I love the music too much to go without. The Audiophile equivalent of 6 month old Limburger Cheese left out to go rank or two Dead Skunks!!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This or the early cassette might be an easier listen. Likely covers up the flaws a bit better.

9. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m so tempted by the MFSL vinyl. Somebody talk me out of it. (Again.)

teag likes this.
  10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Well, it's not near the top of the MFSL Sinatra releases - most likely because of the way it was recorded. However, the vocals sound really good to me. I don't have an original of this one so can't compare it to that. If you can get a decent price I say it's worth it.

Edit: Looks like both Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds are out of this title - so may cost a bit more to get it now that it's OOP.

CBackley likes this.
  11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have so many copies of this album. The white label promo is really good. The mid 80's Japanese pressing is probably my favorite. I do reach for the MoFi now and then but I cannot say it surpasses the Japanese copy.

MLutthans and CBackley like this.
  12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Re: F US Pressing mono: I suspect one does not exist. Likely reason, Reprise pressed too many mono copies, when "Swing Along With Me" was new, and there was likely a huge surplus of mono inventory when Warner Brothers purchased Reprise Records. I suspect this title never had to be re-pressed in mono in the USA, and there was still leftover inventories when mono LP discs were phased out. Not the first time nor the last time this happened with Reprise.

13. zoltantamas

zoltantamas Forum Resident

Hello! Just off-topic I would like to ask you if there are any plans for new albums to analysed like the other ones? I really enjoy all of your articles, and would be glad to see more.

Thank you! :)

14. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

For reasons that are not entirely clear to me, Matt Lutthans is no longer participating on the Hoffman Forum. A tremendous loss to all of us.....

15. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Oh no, this is very sad to hear

16. zoltantamas

That's very very sad. I hope in future he'll get back here. I really enjoy reading his comments and articles.

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I was in contact with @MLutthans about 2 months ago. He said he was fine and had been tied up with other things but would be checking in. Hope all is well with that loveable guy.

18. Dr. Funkenstein

Dr. Funkenstein Forum Resident

Funny, I was just perusing this thread because this is an album I’ve never dedicated much time to analysing. (I’ve only played it once or twice over the years, even less than some of the other more obscure Reprise albums, and have always intended to properly go back to it). I certainly didn’t expect to see some new posts pop up at the same time. I, too, sincerely hope that all is well with Mr. Lutthans, as, not only is his knowledge invaluable, but he’s one of the nicest and most humble guys I’ve ever interacted with online.

19. zoltantamas

Hello!

Actually the most listenable version of this album that I've heard is the Spotify version, which is VERY ODD, but it's still the only one that I enjoy hearing.
    Do you know which physical issue pairs with it?

Also, MFSL version does not have a huge fan base, but are there some positive feedbacks?

Thanks!

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

℗ 2009 = UMG CD released in the EU. (Cat. # 0602527200064)
    [Also on limited edition SHM-CD in Japan: # UICY-94363]

I believe this is a reissue of the ℗ 1999 Entertainer of the Century (EOTC) Reprise CD, remixed with 20-bit Digital Mastering by Lee Herschberg. (Cat. # 9 47252-2)

See Matt’s (@MLutthans) description of differences from earlier mixes and the MFSL vinyl:
    1961 - Swing Along with Me

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  21. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I just finished reading Matt's detailed analysis of SAWM/SS ... it has all you need to know regarding this album. I have all the version's (American releases)
    and, it is a album I haven't played in a while. So today will be comparison day.

zoltantamas, rangerjohn and Bob F like this.
  22. zoltantamas

Today I received the MFSL issue of this album. I was well informed about this one, and its pathetic mix, still as a collector I had to buy it (there was "no other option" :D ). Well it is not perfect, but I like it quite a lot. Still, in my point of view, it needs a new proper remix, which is not loud, together with Swingin' Brass, I Remember Tommy, Ring-A-Ding, All Alone. Maybe this would be a good job for Impex ;)

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Unfortunately, IMPEX can't touch it. It's owned by UMe. :sigh:

Believe it or not, I still go to the MFSL of Swing Along with Me! often. Oh well.....

jtsjc1 likes this.
  24. MLutthans

One problem with virtually all of the stereo releases is that they use the short version of Granada, and I think that the long version beats that one by a huge margin.

25. zoltantamas

Uhm is not the Reprise stuff owned by the Sinatra family?