Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality: "I Remember Tommy" (1961)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

Steve, it's too bad that you haven't gotten a crack at doing Sinatra's Reprise catalog. The methods you use to do the wonderful Nat King Cole Capitol tapes would do wonders for the Reprise United multis, no doubt.

McLover likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I worked on some Sinatra Reprise for the A&R dude there (was in The Zombies, blocking on his name right now.) Didn't like my mixes, too vintage sounding for them.

Library Eye and teag like this.
  3. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Paul Atkinson

rkt88 likes this.
  4. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

paul atkinson. also capitol a&r for years.

5. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

This album, along with Sinatra & Strings and All Alone, has 2021 as the date in Qobuz. Was there a remaster last year? Or some reason why they were suddenly listed as 2021? Frank’s other albums on Quboz have the actual release year listed. I haven’t checked other steaming sites.

6. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Sinatra & Strings on Apple is showing the original release date and P 1998.

peace and love✌Dave

CBackley likes this.
  7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I thought I was done buying this title (being quite happy with my -7 pre-WB stereo LP), but today I was at Boho Records (Santa Clarita -- one of the coolest record stores I have ever visited), and they had an early WB -1C stereo pressing that looked untouched by humans, so I grabbed it. Very curious to hear this one when I get home in a week.

8. frus75

frus75 Forum Resident

I have a Japanese promo from 1977 that sounds great. It has more bass than the 1961 original I have.

9. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

I've had a little too much time on my hands lately, which tends to lend itself to online shopping. Bought a sealed stereo gatefold vinyl copy which sounds amazing. I'm not great at understanding the etchings in the runouts, but I think this is one of the versions that @MLutthans recommends. Under the circled 1 and 3 on each side is a squiggle with a slash through it -- kinda looks like a cursive lower-case "f" turned on its side.

R-9-1003-A (1) 30,038-7
    R-9-1003-B (3) 30,039-7

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

That should be the one. I've run into several of those, so I'm guessing that set of metal parts survived in production for a large number of pressings.

wvk3 likes this.
  11. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Finally got a near mint early R9 with the gatefold and the "frame cut" front cover.

Spectacular! Easily beats my other pressings (1976 UK, and the 1981 US reissue which is plain embarrassing). I also have a soft spot for the first press mono, but this R9 is a winner.

Will receive the 1977 Japanese too very soon.

wvk3 likes this.
  12. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

(too bad for a scratch that covers the whole of Polka Dots... Sigh! How to lose the "Near Mint" status instantly!)

Library Eye likes this.