Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality: "I Remember Tommy" (1961)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Hehe. That will teach me to answer a question without listening to the record. It so happens *I* wrote that post many years ago. (Although the nice folks at the Sinatra Family Forum don't want you to know it.) I'll have to recompare and get back to you, but now that you've pointed it out to me, I seem to recall going through the exercise once before. That's despite the fact that every discography I own states it's an edit of the same take as the main track. :)

P.S. For the benefit of others, this is what I wrote (in part) in 2005:

The suitcase (or "tan" box) 20-CD set is not quite "complete." If you are truly obsessive about your collection of released Reprise studio material, you may also want to have: [...] I REMEMBER TOMMY for the short reprise of 'I'm Getting Sentimental Over You' (which is an edit of a DIFFERENT take than the full version on the album and the suitcase). [...]

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This is the direct link to the full post, titled "Completing the Suitcase (Odds and Ends)" :

http://sinatrafamily.com/forum/298582-post137.html

Now that I think about it, I must have been reminded of the short reprise of "Guys and Dolls" when I answered above. I'll definitely have to compare "Getting Sentimental" carefully to verify my original statement that that one is a different take.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Same take just redubbed from the three-track. Just to be clear, I confirmed it a while back (if anyone still cares!)

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  5. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Steve, some of us "Sinatra nuts" (as Matt calls us) definitely care!
    It's a big part of the charm of hanging out here, where life long learners / music nuts can relax AND learn.

I always seem to learn something whenever you chime in.
    Or Bob or Martin or Matt, the list goes on and on.
    Great stuff, always fun! Thanks for having this place.

6. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Sorry about that, Bob, I was afraid it was you but I felt that all of the info in that post was worth mentioning to other "obsessive" Sinatrafiles here (at SHF) who might not have found it there (at SFF).

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Re: "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You"
    Yep. (Not that I would ever doubt our host, but I finally went back again to compare carefully. :))

The 48-second "reprise" is formed by joining the first 11 seconds from the front ("Never thought I'd fall, but now I hear love call...") to the final 37 secs at the end ("...that you'll be sweet and gentle...") of the complete 3:42 take. The waveforms confirm this, using the 1993 CD as a source (digital remastering by Lee Herschberg).

I'm not sure why I thought they were different takes when I listened 8 years ago, but I must have been confused by the change of lyric at the splice point. Mea culpa. :blush:

Bob Belvedere and Steve Hoffman like this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Thanks, Scott. No need to apologize, but at least that's more than the SFF people did when they wiped my name off of close to 10,000 posts. (Sorry for the threadcrap here. Private replies only, please.)

McLover likes this.
  9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting review in that there might have been fans of the "old" Sinatra that didn't care for the "new" one, and the comment on the sound of the LP. My early Reprise pressings of this sound very good, if a little lean (on the stereo version), and better than the previous two original Sinatra/Reprise releases...

McLover likes this.
  11. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Did anyone figure out what this mark is? Of two original pressings I saw yesterday one had it only on side 2 like Matt's and the other had it on both sides. To me it looks like the "F" in Sam Feldman's initials.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Re-listened to the samples. The 1993 CD sounds most like my R9 Stereo LP. The EOTC has a phase issue on the vocal and the vocal timbre is not as good to my ear. My present findings after listening to and living with a lot of different versions is. The United Stereo Tapes 4 track is my preferred Stereo by a little bit over the R9 Stereo LP. I like the R mono for it's better vocal timbre and superior midrange tonality. The R mono is excellent, my copy is a little bit noisy.

13. MLutthans

I can see that being a very reasonable choice. I wish my copy were in better shape. :-(

14. MLutthans

I added this ad to my website, but to save you a trip, here it is:

SinatraIRememberTommyAd.jpg

McLover, Simon A, MMM and 2 others like this.
  15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I've also found this other trade ad online.

$(KGrHqF,!nsFGzcK5McwBR13bgqJ1Q~~60_3.JPG

Bob F, McLover, MMM and 1 other person like this.
  16. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

My apologies if this has already been discussed but it seems there was a 70's Japan pressing with a completely unrelated cover which looks more like a 101 Strings cover than a Sinatra one.

$_57.JPG

17. MLutthans

Wow, Simon.....I've never seen that one before!

18. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

It does look intriguing doesn't it?

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, that Japanese LP looks too much like a $1.99 101 Strings LP.

20. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I have yet to read through this entire thread. Is the later Stereo 1-H pressing on the same level as the original pressing of the album?

21. MLutthans

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    colormesinatra likes this.
  22. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Thanks, Matt!

After looking at your research and the rest of this thread, I'm gonna hunt down original Stereo AND Mono pressings. It's one of my favorites.

MLutthans likes this.
  23. MLutthans

Simon A likes this.
  24. MLutthans

Last weekend, I picked up another clean stereo copy of R9-1003, a -7/-7 cut, pressed at Waddell. It has the same "S"-type mark as my other R9-1003 pressing. Does anybody have any idea about that swirly S mark mentioned in the quoted post?

Also: Still no idea as to who engineered this album? It sounds very nice!

Last edited: May 5, 2014
    MMM likes this.
  25. MLutthans

Speaking of pressed at H.V. Waddell, I stumbled upon this:
    L-324419-1363026000-3743.jpeg
    and
    Screen shot 2014-05-05 at 2.11.53 PM.png

Simon A and MMM like this.