Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality: "Sinatra and Strings" (rec. 1961) - incl. NAB/AME EQ, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Mar 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The original R/R9 era pressings (beyond SINATRA AND STRINGS) seem to use at least two different plants - one that leaves a wide, "deep groove" impression in the label, and another that's more "Capitol" sized (kinda like the size of a large holed 7" 45). I *think* one of these plants was H.V. Waddell?

2. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Thanks for digging this thread up. I always wondered why I couldn't settle into Ring-A-Ding-Ding. I couldn't put my finger on it. I liked the music, but it sounded so darn unsettling.

But that's it. Exactly.

3. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

:agree: I went through a few original mono and stereo copies and wasn't happy with any of them so when a sealed MFSL copy popped up a great price I thought I'd try it out. Better than the original copies I had on hand but not revelatory, I'll send some clips to Matt so we can all hear how it stacks up.

MLutthans likes this.
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thanks, Blackie. Files received. :righton:

5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

Listening to the MOFI right now. Frank's voice is nice and smooth. I guess the ETOC is a remix? The vocals are so upfront on that disc. The MOFI gets the imaging right. There is a certain air to it.
    I will say that I don't hate the upfront, in-your-face approach of the ETOC as much as I thought. But I think the vintage mix wins out.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  6. MLutthans

.....and the MFSL is not the original mix, either, but the 2nd mix used for the stereo edition of the LP.

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

So I need to find an early stereo LP too? It never ends!

CBackley likes this.
  8. AJH

AJH Senior Member

One of the few EOTC Reprise discs not re-mixed or remastered by Lee Herschberg (the other EOTC CD not done by Lee, that comes to mind, is September of my Years- which I think is downright awful). As far as Sinatra and Strings goes (on CD), I have to go with the suitcase version.

AJH

9. MLutthans

So true!
    That's scary. I've done exactly zero head-to-head comparisons, but over the years, whenever I've played the suitcase version, I've thought it was pretty middling (at best). I'm very curious to hear the EOTC version.

By the way, who mixed/mastered the EOTC, if not Lee?

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Keith Blake. Of the 12 Reprise EOTC editions, he remastered four: Ring-a-Ding Ding!, Sinatra–Basie, Sinatra & Strings, and September of My Years.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  11. AJH

AJH Senior Member

It's not like I like the suitcase version that much, it's just that I'm not that fond of Keith Blake's style of re-mixing and or mastering (i.e. he has a way of pushing the vocal way too far up front for my taste, and I especially can't stand what he did with Frank's vocal on September of My Years). I no longer have the original Reprise Strings CD, so, for me, it has to be the suitcase if I want to listen to Strings on CD. I think I have the LP somewhere in my basement. I do remember that the LP I have/had was a Columbia pressing- if I find it, I gotta check the deadwax.

AJH

rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

For SOMY all I can say is "String him up, he's one of them!!!"

13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I hope your test track is "Stardust" as it is the most unique track.

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Of note, on the first stereo mix released, Frank's voice was left dry on "All or Nothing At All".

CBackley and rangerjohn like this.
  15. MLutthans

Hmmm....interesting. Thank you.

Does the initial stand-alone CD release have the same mastering as the suitcase?

Also, was there ever a second mono mix? Both my R-1004 and F-1004 use the same mix.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The mono should have stayed the same - I'm not aware of two mixes.

I'd guess the 20 disc set and the '91 CD of the album should match. Bob would know. :)

17. MLutthans

Just starting to do some vinyl transfers and some head-to-heads on "Come Rain or Come Shine," and I think that the suitcase CD is holding up very well so far. I'm glad that your comment got me to take a serious listen again. :)

18. MLutthans

I've had one of those, you know....."circulating" sets for a while, but never listened to it until tonight. Clearly (at least on what I have), the transfer was a quick-and-dirty affair (probably a one-pass mix to avoid getting busted) with some awkward balances, etc., but as far as the sentiment of your post goes, you ain't kiddin', bub. The officially released versions should sound much better than they do.

CBackley likes this.
  19. MLutthans

Are we sure that the suitcase uses a vintage mix?

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

:) Yes, the '95 suitcase mastering matches exactly the '91 CD issue (except for minor volume differences).

That first CD is noteworthy for inclusion of the rare bonus tracks, "As You Desire Me" and "Don't Take Your Love from Me," also available on the Japanese LP. These were also copied by the suitcase. They were later dropped from the '98 EOTC remaster (and recent UM duplicates of same).

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Had the cd at work last week. Theey are really worthy bonus tracks, unlike, say Evrybody's Twisting.

bozburn and Bob F like this.
  22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The sound of those tracks are better on the CD. They're in some weird, narrow (?) stereo on that LP.

Doesn't it match the 1H and later LPs?

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That should say 1G (for side one, since Matt noted "Come Rain or Come Shine").

24. MLutthans

I haven't totally gotten into the trenches yet with these recordings, but just on some initial listening, it sounds to me like the suitcase tracks have less/different reverb that either of the "2nd mix" versions I have (MFSL and Japanese LPs), but this may be chalked up to different mastering styles, I guess.

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, I haven't done a comparison in a few years, though I'm pretty sure they're the same mix.