Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality: "Sinatra and Strings" (rec. 1961) - incl. NAB/AME EQ, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Mar 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

And you still get Salma's body!

[​IMG]

MLutthans likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Score!

I took a chance and bought a sealed stereo LP on the Ebay. It's actually packaged in an R-1004 mono jacket, but with a "STEREO" sticker affixed, and an inner sleeve from the W7 era. It's a Columbia-pressed tri-color smiling Frank label 1E/1E stereo pressing, with the original mix.

Woot!

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Both sides have the first mix, Matt? That would solve my wanting to know which mix the 1E side two has...

It's odd that Columbia didn't change the code to a 2 and some letter to designate a change in the mix. Maybe they only did that for their own recordings, and not for other companies they mastered for.

4. MLutthans

Original mix on both sides.

MMM likes this.
  5. MLutthans

When did W7 use a "ten years of the best entertainment on record" sleeve?

6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not familiar with it off-hand, Matt. Given when Warner Bros. Records was formed, I'd guess 1968. I'd have to see if I have an LP with it...

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Matt. Mystery finally solved. So for the Columbia masterings of this mix, it's 7 lacquers (1A-1G) for side one, and 5 cuts (1A-1E) for side two.

CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  8. MLutthans

That's about what I figured, too, i.e., right at the end of the mono/stereo era, and they were using up their old mono outer jackets. Seems logical. (Seems a little chintzy, too, but hey, I guess that's how you squeeze an extra few cents out of a catalog release, eh?)

CBackley, rangerjohn and MMM like this.
  9. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Pretty sure that's dead-on ... like mid-'68 to early '69ish. I know that sleeve came with the original press of the Neil Young s/t album, which was late '68; by the time they switched to the 2nd cover for that LP (mid-to-late '69?) they'd changed over to the cream-colored inner sleeve with the vintage band pic on it.

Just saw that this thread's been going on the last week or so. I'll check and see if there's any other versions in my archives, but I think when I sent samples last year that was the most recent copy I picked up ... (and I think I <may> have sent you some mono cuts too).

MMM likes this.
  10. MLutthans

I think you did, but I haven't touched the mono stuff yet.

One thing that always fascinates and mystifies me a bit regarding these Reprise titles is the different pressing facilities that were used. For instance, this one looks like it's Columbia:
    SinatraAndStringsLabelF1004SHTVCBS.jpg
    ....based on the fonts.

This one (below), though, has different fonts. Still Coumbia? :help:
    SinatraAndStringsLabelFS1004NonCBS.jpg

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Watch out ! You are using up all our bandwidth and storage space here!!!!!

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Both Columbia. W.B. (William) could tell you which plant, etc. is which.

13. MLutthans

Is the change in font due to being from different years, or different plants?

joshm2286 likes this.
  14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Those are both from around the same time - should be no later than 1964. Different plants, or at least label manufacture.

joshm2286, rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  15. MLutthans

Regarding a sealed LP I recently purchased:
    FWIW, I've been A/B-ing Martin's 1F* side one with my new 1E side one, and I can't tell them apart. Very nice sound. I also have a 1B/1A copy, just like Martin's preferred pressing, and so far it strikes me as being only very subtly different -- just a small tad warmer. I think I could pick it out "blind," but wouldn't swear to it.

They all strike me as being pretty nice!

*(To clarify, Martin snail-mailed his 1F to me a few years ago, and I still have the raw digital transfer. I did a similar transfer last night of my 1E, and today of my 1B, and have been comparing the three sets of files.)

CBackley, bozburn, MMM and 2 others like this.
  16. MLutthans

Does anybody have a really early stereo cut of the LP, i.e, a pre-Warner #R9-1004 on the label with a B1 or B2 cut on side two????

17. MLutthans

MMM, bozburn and mick_sh like this.
  18. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Looks great Matt! Splendid work as always.

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I think mine is an A1/B2 copy.

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

MT for Putnam, Matt. You can delete this once you see it...

21. MLutthans

And the vocal is dry on "All or Nothing at All?" I'm just curious if maybe there was a mix of that track that got pulled and replaced by the totally dry stereo version, as it's so odd that there'd be slapback on everything, then one track that has no slapback. :confused:

joshm2286 likes this.
  22. MLutthans

I know his middle name is Tasker. "KT" stands for "Knob Twiddler." Gotta get my little jab in when I can. (Note that it's in quotes.)

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'll check, though I'm 98% sure it is.

joshm2286 likes this.
  24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, It's the same dry vocal mix.

joshm2286 likes this.
  25. MLutthans

Thanks for checking, Martin.

I have 10 LP clips of "Come Rain or Come Shine" now posted here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1962_-_Sinatra_&_Strings.html

Also, there has always been something about the vocal delivery on this album that has mildly rubbed me the wrong way, and I could never quite put my finger on it, but this morning I found a 2003 post at SFF by our own Ron Sarbo that pretty well expresses what I've been hearing on some of these cuts:
    (BOLD added by me for emphasis.)
    Yes! If not a straight jacket, than at least a tux that is a smidge too small. I like the album just fine, but there's something unrelaxed about it.